Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

minolta 250 mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: minolta 250 mirror Reply with quote

bidding look a bit crazy at 820GBP and over a day to go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171686037217?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

User:

l***8 ( 0 )
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 7
Items bid on: 1
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

Could be someone bidding on his own lens Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
User:

l***8 ( 0 )
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 7
Items bid on: 1
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

Could be someone bidding on his own lens Surprised

This is a hot lens and it attracts new buyers. I would say the chance is 50/50.

Luckily, I am happy with my Tamron 350 and I don't need to pay a huge sum for this. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he may be running it up but its still over 600£ with other bidders....i think i see them go for mid £200s recently..i have not been paying 2 much attention ,it just i see them is i look for the 500mm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it running at ~ $1000 last week, well before the auction end. If I had one, I would be so selling it right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW Classic have been around for ages, they have a shop in London I believe, so I doubt they are bidding their own lenses up. I have found their descriptions to be a little optimistic in the past if I'm being honest though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder how much dodgy bidding goes on. There is a seller of long "wundertutes" lenses - there's at least a couple of guys who hoover these up for resale - who is regularly listing auctions and I was scratching my head over why they were regularly rising to £50, £60, £70 when normal auction end bids are 20-35 range typically for the 400's. Difficult to detect unless a clear pattern emerges I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so special about the 250-350mm mirror lenses? They have high prices for what?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
What is so special about the 250-350mm mirror lenses? They have high prices for what?

They are compact and easy to carry. Besides, the people in Asian loves the doughnut bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bargain then at 180
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINOLTA-MD-500MM-F8-RF-ROKKOR-PRIME-MANUAL-MIRROR-LENS-KIT-CASED-/251714897717?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3a9b608735

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: minolta 250 Reply with quote

the small Minolta 250 is fine. Compact and does what it promoises to do.

If you are buying, do remember to get it with the clear glass rear filter in place-. The other filters are nice to have, but one must be there in order for it to work properly.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. Thought about selling it for a while, but i just can't.

This is what it can do on Sony NEX3. I haven't used it on the A3000 yet:
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rf-rokkor-250mm-f-5-6-mirror-lens-t66821.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:

They are particularly well suited to the crop format cameras. The usual 500mm mirror lenses are difficult to use on an APS-C sensor because their field of view is very narrow due to the crop factor. The 250-350 lenses are much more practical and can be used handheld thanks to their shorter focal length and faster aperture. My Tamron 350mm mirror lens frames just like its big 500mm brother when used on a crop format camera but it's faster, smaller and lighter.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I have the Soligor C/D 300mm f/5.6, and it is not bigger than a 50mm 1.2. Very nice focal length on both crop and ff IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
edri wrote:

They are particularly well suited to the crop format cameras. The usual 500mm mirror lenses are difficult to use on an APS-C sensor because their field of view is very narrow due to the crop factor. The 250-350 lenses are much more practical and can be used handheld thanks to their shorter focal length and faster aperture. My Tamron 350mm mirror lens frames just like its big 500mm brother when used on a crop format camera but it's faster, smaller and lighter.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Yes. The Tamron 350 is bigger than most 300 mirrors but it is still pretty short compare to a 350mm non-mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I think there is something else besides compaction to justify such a price. I do not understand some aversion to donut bokeh. An important drawback seems to me a possible low resolution. I have a 50/1.2 lens and I'd like a same size tele lens.

Do you have other recommendations besides this Minolta lens with terrifying price? What price would be OK for such a mirror 250-350 lens (I can only use T or M42 mounts on Pentax crop)?

[quote="calvin83"]
Abbazz wrote:
edri wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For FF camera, the best will be Minolta 250, Tamron 350/Rubinar 300. Or you could read through the following thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-the-second-best-tiny-mirror-lens-t66119.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 250 has any resolution issues.

Just went outside and took a photo of the first cat i could see, Sony A3000 20.1MP, straight jpg from cam, nothing altered, and a crop of the same shot. They're large, so if you click on them you can see what it can do!
Always remember: they do not have an aperture, so it's always f/5.6 and according depth of field. This can be a challenge when focussing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I noted Spiratone. For now there is nothing on ebay. Shocked

calvin83 wrote:
For FF camera, the best will be Minolta 250, Tamron 350/Rubinar 300. Or you could read through the following thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-the-second-best-tiny-mirror-lens-t66119.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I think of some cheap 500/8 lenses.

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I don't think the 250 has any resolution issues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this moment the best priced offers are Osawa and Ohnar 300 / 5.6 mirror lenses.
Do you know something about this lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three types of Japanese 300 / 5.6 mirror lenses. The Spiratone type is 72mm and the others two types are 67mm. The Makinon type has MC coating and can focus down to 1:4 but shorter focus throw. The Osawa/Ohnar and the others does not have MC coating, they can only focus to 2.5M but with a longer focus throw. The Makinon type seems have better flare resistant than the other two type. There is also a Soligor CD 300/5.6 Mirror Click here to see on Ebay I forget to mention. It seems the Soligor has MC coating at the front and it may be just the same lens as the Spiratone 72mm(I am not sure).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Makinon 400mm mirror lens awful and the Ohnar 300mm lens slightly better, although low resolution. All types I've tried have been low contrast other than the Tamron SP 350/5.6 (very good) and the Rubinar 300/4.5 (outstanding).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
There are three types of Japanese 300 / 5.6 mirror lenses. The Spiratone type is 72mm and the others two types are 67mm. The Makinon type has MC coating and can focus down to 1:4 but shorter focus throw. The Osawa/Ohnar and the others does not have MC coating, they can only focus to 2.5M but with a longer focus throw. The Makinon type seems have better flare resistant than the other two type. There is also a Soligor CD 300/5.6 Mirror Click here to see on Ebay I forget to mention. It seems the Soligor has MC coating at the front and it may be just the same lens as the Spiratone 72mm(I am not sure).

The Soligor C/D is a 67mm filter size lens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

The Soligor C/D is a 67mm filter size lens

Yes. There are two types of Soligor C/D. The one in your photo is same type as the Osawa/Ohnar mentioned by edri. The one sold by kevincameras Click here to see on Ebay has 72mm filter.