Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta 17mm f4 - anything substatially better ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Minolta 17mm f4 - anything substatially better ? Reply with quote

I have 2 copies of this lens and both IMHO are disappointing. I can get rid of the smeary corners by cropping ( I use on an A7) but that somehow defeats the point of having one. I am being drawn inexorably to the Heliar III, but I wondered if any of you here know of a decent UWA that might have slipped under my radar.

Because I dont have anything to compare it with, it could be that I am expecting too much, but here is an example of the Rokkor at f11 (which I am guessing might be its best aperture) :

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it remains soft in the corners, doesn't it? The Tokina 17mm f/3.5 is very highly regarded and if you look for images -- do a google image search or search here -- you can find quite a few examples. The Tamron 17mm is almost as highly regarded as the Tokina. I've also heard great things about the Canon 17mm f/4.

I own a copy of the Tokina-built Vivitar 17mm f/3.5 and the Tamron 17mm f/3.5. Unfortunately, I have no digital images to offer because neither my Canon DSLR nor my Sony NEX "likes" this focal length. I guess it's the way the lenses bend the light and the way the rays hit the sensors, is the reason for this. About all I can offer you is a couple of shots I took with the Vivitar 17/3.5 and my Canon F1. The film is Ektar 100.

As you can see, the second shot shows a bit of softening in the bottom corners. The first shot shows some softening in the bottom right corner, but I think it holds up well along the bottom edge. I didn't record the apertures I was working with, but knowing me, I was probably shooting at f/8 or so.

I've read that the Tokina is slightly better than the Tokina-made Vivitar and it's because the Tokina has slightly better coating. Perhaps so, but I've been very satisfied with the Vivitar on my FD cameras.

The Vivitar (and the Tokina too?) also exhibits a fair amount of barrel distortion, as can be seen with the stop sign in the second photo. I don't worry about this much anymore because I can correct it in post. I just didn't for whatever reason in this image.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even on film the 17mm lens from Minolta wasn't considered to be their best one....

Furthermore your camera (Sony A7) is already known to struggle with many wide angle lenses up to and inclusive 35mm.

So from this point of view your example picture doesn't look bad at all. Wink

However, from what I have seen so far neither the Minolta 17/4 nor the A7 are the best tools to capture extreme wide angle views which should be sharp from edge to edge. I don't know whether it would considerably improve if you take another lens on the same camera. The A7 uses a very thick filter stack in front of the sensor which leads to the problems with most of the wide angle lenses which have not been designed specifically for the A7. So from my point of view the only way out would be to stick to the well designed wide angles from Sony or to look for another camera.
Some people are also modifying their A7's like that: http://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/ to improve the corner sharpness of the A7 for wide angle lenses.

My personal solution is the CV 12mm lens on the Ricoh GXR-M which delivers excellent pictures which are sharp from edge to edge in a A7-equivalent of 18mm focal length without visible field curvature.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good 24mm lens with a good 0.7x screw on converter can work well. I use a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x that was originally very expensive, it has 4 elements in 4 groups and 58mm threads. I use a 58-55mm stepping ring to mount it on my Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 and this combo actually outperforms my Tokina 3.5/17. Another good converter is the Olympus WCON08 but that one is only a 0.8x. I also have a huge and heavy Century Optics 0.65x converter that is superb but a bit cumbersome in use.

I posted a thread with samples but I can't remember what I called it to be able to search for it, sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I posted a thread with samples but I can't remember what I called it to be able to search for it, sorry.

Ian, I think this is the post you are looking for.

http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-xenar-0-7x-wide-angle-lens-t57355,highlight,%2Bschneider.html

But, since the server crash your photos are no longer there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
A good 24mm lens with a good 0.7x screw on converter can work well.....
........Another good converter is the Olympus WCON08 but that one is only a 0.8x.

That is certainly true. The Olympus WCON is one of the best. I used it on my Minolta D7i where the maximum wide angle of the fixed lens was 28mm to increase the field of view. The quality was rather stunning.

However, that might not help very much on the A7 if the 24mm lens really has similar limitations for the corner sharpness on this camera. But I don't really know. There are so many different stories about this issue with that camera and (luckily) I don't have one myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one last year but I related the results to my skills. Rokkorfiles website describes it as a good lens. That said, it is a keeper because of its value. Extremely rare. I ended up selling mine on the auction website for £360. I was in a rush Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful replies (as always here).

I do have that Xenar 0.7x and it conveniently sits on my MC W Rokkor 24mm so I thought I would just poke it out of the window.
Followed by the 17mm Rokkor. Both at f11.

First the 24mm with the Xenar :

and this with the 17mm :

Not THAT much in it really.

This has made me think that to get a really good UWA I am going to have to spend some big bucks.............probably best to practice some creative framing and/or cropping !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
A good 24mm lens with a good 0.7x screw on converter can work well. I use a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x that was originally very expensive, it has 4 elements in 4 groups and 58mm threads. I use a 58-55mm stepping ring to mount it on my Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 and this combo actually outperforms my Tokina 3.5/17. Another good converter is the Olympus WCON08 but that one is only a 0.8x. I also have a huge and heavy Century Optics 0.65x converter that is superb but a bit cumbersome in use.

Ian, I just did a search on eBay for the Schneider optic, and I found a couple -- both reasonably priced at $120-139, but more interesting is I found some new ones there that are now being made in Japan. You can buy it new for $50 plus postage. It has a native 55mm thread, which is perfect for my Canon 24mm and comes with 52mm and 49mm adapters. Needless to say, I'm very tempted. I'd love to have a lens working like a 17mm for my NEX, even if it is a crop body camera. And being a big fan of Century, I wouldn't mind finding one of those, either. Century is rather well known for its adapters, perhaps even better known for them than from their old telephotos.

I just did a search on "schneider 0.7" to find them. I did a search on the Century as well. Quite a bit more expensive than the Schneider. But the 0.65 uncovered some other interesting things, including a Tokina "Professional" 58mm converter that I'll wager is also quite good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid less than 10ukp for both of my schneiders so with patience, you can get them really cheap. There are a few others that are probably good, from Canon, Sony, Nikon etc. Look for 4 element ones and avoid any that say macro on them.

My century was a lucky purchase for less than 20ukp when usually they are over 100. It had a bayonet for the Sony VX1000 camcorder but I removed that and glued on a stepping ring so it now has threads. I forget the diameter, probably 58mm.

I'll make some samples with my Schneider and various lenses on both my NEX and a850 tomorrow.

I need to find where I have put my Century. If I find it, I'll make some samples with that too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Well, even on film the 17mm lens from Minolta wasn't considered to be their best one....

Furthermore your camera (Sony A7) is already known to struggle with many wide angle lenses up to and inclusive 35mm.

That's more true with Rangefinder lenses than with SLR lenses, though SLR UWA lenses do have to deal with the thicker cover glass that Sony uses vs. most other brands or film which has none.
My Nikkor 18/4 AI is not too bad, better than the Minolta 17.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/nikkor184ai/

The CV 15III is probably my best UWA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/cv15iii/

My FD SSC 17, I don't think it can touch the Nikkor, never mind the CV, the nFD 20 is much better than the FD 17.
My Konica 21/4 needs to be stopped down to get relatively good, much like the Nikkor.
I tried the Leica R 19/2.8 v1 and the X-Fujinon EBC 19/3.5 both didn't do well on my A7r.
I would like to try the Tokina 17, it's been on my list to get for a long while, having the CV removes any sense of urgency i used to feel about finding a good UWA.

If you can afford the CV15III it will be hard to beat unless you spend significantly more money.

Last edited by Lightshow on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the quality of the Minolta lens, but i am quite happy with the performance of the RMC Tokina 17mm.

Would love to see some results of the Minolta on film though.....

On film:
Kuiperspoort Middelburg by René Maly, on Flickr

On Canon 5D:
Waiting (Doel) by René Maly, on Flickr

On Canon 5D:
Drama in the air by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can go for a slightly longer focal length, Nikkor AiS 20/2.8 is a stellar performer. Pretty much every other old UWA lens that I tried suffered from exactly the same corner softness you're seeing with your sample. That said, modern UWA zooms can be sharper and better corrected than old UWA primes. Ultra-wide lenses is where real progress was made throughout the years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Can't comment on the quality of the Minolta lens, but i am quite happy with the performance of the RMC Tokina 17mm.

Would love to see some results of the Minolta on film though.....

On film:
Kuiperspoort Middelburg by René Maly, on Flickr

On Canon 5D:
Waiting (Doel) by René Maly, on Flickr

On Canon 5D:
Drama in the air by René Maly, on Flickr

These certainly present a good case for the RMC Tokina. I have the lens in Nikon mount for my D600, and it is my only super-wide for the time being and quite adequate. Wide open I can get a bit of softness in extreme (and I mean extreme corners). I imagine stopping down would get rid of it, but I haven't done careful testing.
Those of us shooting full frame Nikon have a rather more limited range of options around 17mm - a few, more expensive Nikkors, the Tokina and Tamron, the Samyang 14mm for those not travelling light...
The Tokina is a nice compact lens, relative to modern options - short, but not particularly light and a bit fat (67mm thread, my only MF F mount that doesn't share the 52 mm thread)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a consensus that the filter stack on the a7 makes the problem worse - whether I want to spend big money for a modification which makes a slight improvement I dont know. One thing I can do though is put the Minolta on my XE1 and fire a few shots on some B&W film. I might make it a project for my IB students !

Once again thanks to everyone who has followed up - The positive responses in this forum are such a refreshing change from some other sites I visit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Soligor 17/4 (probably same lens as the Tokina) that is better, but still not ideal imo.
Certainly functional though.

Here is a pict where I left a full sized sample on Flickr.

DSC0075620140110ILCE-7-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Other 2 samples with size 2400p on flickr

20141122-DSC06860-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

DSC0112820140112ILCE-7-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

A lot of these old UWA have a lot of field curvature that is accentuated by the thick filter stack of the A7.
You might want to try focusing using the off center and a small f-stop (like f11) to see if it helps.

I have a modified A7 (thin filter mod) now, but I've yet to have a change to revisit this 17/4 to see if its improved.
However, on some SLR wides, there has been noticeable improvements.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540662

MHO is that the Samyang 14/2.8 performs very well on a stock A7.
Really unbeatable for the price (if you can find a good copy).
The downsides are distortion (correctable in post) and the bulging front element which means expensive filter system (or none).

Samyang 14/2.8

Rise of the new by jenkwang, on Flickr

Sit and enjoy the view by jenkwang, on Flickr

I've tried a friend's CV15v3 on stock A7.
No color cast and good all the way till a bit less sharpness on the last 1/10 of the edges.
Factoring size, its certainly the best option out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoftoren The Hague by Cliff van der Geugten, on Flickr

I am quite happy with my copy of the RMC Tokina 1:3.5/17mm. This one is taken with an Oympus OM2n. Regards Cliff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased with the Tamron 19-35 3.5-4-5. It is autofocus but works seamlessly on my a7ii. I posted a photo from it on a thread last week?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 17 / 3.5 on Sony A6000

I was about 2 meters away from the corner of the building. There's no correction of perspective or distortion been done in PP.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some checking on the Tamron 19-35 that jamaeolus mentioned and came across another one, the Tamron SP AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 Di LDIF Aspherical. More expensive than the 19-35, but it gets top-notch reviews at Amazon -- all 4 and 5 star reviews. It works on both FF and APS-C crop body digitals as well as 35mm SLRs. So I'm wondering if anyone here has had a chance to try this lens? Specifically, I'm wondering if, because of its Di technology, that cameras that don't like ultra-wides, such as the Sony A7 and my NEX 7 (as well as my EOS XS), will operate properly at this lens's widest setting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I did some checking on the Tamron 19-35 that jamaeolus mentioned and came across another one, the Tamron SP AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 Di LDIF Aspherical. More expensive than the 19-35, but it gets top-notch reviews at Amazon -- all 4 and 5 star reviews. It works on both FF and APS-C crop body digitals as well as 35mm SLRs. So I'm wondering if anyone here has had a chance to try this lens? Specifically, I'm wondering if, because of its Di technology, that cameras that don't like ultra-wides, such as the Sony A7 and my NEX 7 (as well as my EOS XS), will operate properly at this lens's widest setting.

A Z-O-O-M lens Micheal?? OMG Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have several 17mm Tokinas (main + backups) and the 4/18mm Nikkor, but would always grab the Tokina for superwide!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Not sure the problem with ultra-wides and digital sensors apply to retrofocus lenses for use on SLRs. The problem is rangefinder lenses where the rear element is much closer to the sensor, and the light rays consequently hit the sensor very obliquely in the corners. SLR lenses couldn't be designed like this, as there had to be mirror clearance (apart from those that only worked in mirror lock-up mode)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you that neither of my retrofocus 17s -- a Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5 and a Tamron 17/3.5 -- work well with either of my APS-C digicams -- my EOS DSLR or my NEX 7. Quite disappointing. Images are not sharp, even in the center of the field. I haven't yet had my film developed that I shot to test my Tamron 17 on a 35mm Nikon, but I've owned the Vivitar 17mm for about 25 years and it has always worked very well with my 35mm SLRs. But not at all well with my two digitals. And I've read repeatedly that the first-generation A7's, with their thick sensor stacks, do not handle the ultra-wide retrofocus lenses well, either.

kds315* wrote:

A Z-O-O-M lens Micheal?? OMG Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have several 17mm Tokinas (main + backups) and the 4/18mm Nikkor, but would always grab the Tokina for superwide!!

Well, I have zooms that are plenty sharp enough to compete with primes, and that 17-35 Tokina has gottens some impressive reviews, almost all of which comment on its sharpness.

I've grabbed my Tokina-made Vivitar many times in the past when shooting 35mm, but it just doesn't work with my APS-C cameras. Both the 18-55 kit lenses that came with these cameras outperform both 17s by a rather wide margin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I can assure you that neither of my retrofocus 17s -- a Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5 and a Tamron 17/3.5 -- work well with either of my APS-C digicams -- my EOS DSLR or my NEX 7.

Strange. I've had several copies of the Tokina, all of them excellent performers, on film, Sony NEX3 and A3000 and Canon 5D. See samples i posted above.

Isn't it possible that there is something wrong with your lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

Strange. I've had several copies of the Tokina, all of them excellent performers, on film, Sony NEX3 and A3000 and Canon 5D.

+1

it worked really well with my NEX5N, NEX6 and even on the A7, if I hadn't the Distagon 4/18 I would still use the Tokina.