Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minimum aperture on adapted lenses for micro 4/3 bodies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Minimum aperture on adapted lenses for micro 4/3 bodies Reply with quote

Okay, so I finally took the plunge.

I've been very hesitant to digital format in a serious way and micro 4/3 seemed to be the most likely candidate considering the lenses I already own.

Not wanting to spend too much on something I wasn't 100% sure of, I was able to purchase an Olympus EP-1 in a local online classified add for $50.00 Canadian. I figured at 50 bucks I can't let the opportunity pass.

So far the 14mm-42mm has worked well and while I've only had the camera for a week, I'm quite pleased with the find.

One question. While I understand that the focal lengths on adapted lenses will double due to the 2x crop factor, but will the minimum aperture also double?

I never thought that this would be the case however in reading an article online it stated that it would. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably mean maximal aperture (smallest f-number). It is a physical property of the lens and therefore is independent of format. What you've heard is the so-called "equivalence theory", according to which a 50mm f1.4 lens on m4/3 behaves like a 100mm f2.8 lens on a full frame camera. This is correct for depth of field calculations, but is incorrect in terms of exposure. If you fix your ISO (say set IS0=100) and set the aperture @ f1.4 in aperture priority, you will get exactly the same shutter speed on full frame and m4/3.

So to summarize, on m4/3 your 50mm f1.4 lens will behave like f1.4 lens in terms of exposure and like 100mm f2.8 in terms of framing and depth of field.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fermy, it didn't seem correct.

After all having a Voigtlander color skopar 25mm f4 become a 50mm f8 hardly seemed worth all the effort.

I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful explanation.
Martin