Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minimalistic Nikon approach
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Minimalistic Nikon approach Reply with quote

I sold my (wife's) Nikon D3200 and now left with 24/2.8 and 105/2.5 ais lenses.

I'm thinking of investing 41 € for a D40 body to use them sort of minimalistically: that is guesstimate exposure and focus ring focusing.

Does this make any sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, completely manual. I got on well with Sunny 16. Shoot in raw and you can recover anything. I chipped my 50mm f2 now I can have auto exposure. Can't find them on ebay today. Search for Dandelion chip Nikon. You stick it on the back of the lens and it can be programmed via the camera.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I sort of got hang of the manual exposure with the D3200

but does the focusing work - either with ring or viewfinder?
because there is no live view?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing is fine. There is a green dot in the VF which is focus confirm. Line up the focus point with your dubject. When the subject is in focus the green light goes on. I used mine for 5 or 6 years with manual lenses no problem. You can set which focus point you want to use. I always used the centre one.

here is the manual for the d40

https://apps.carleton.edu/curricular/cams/assets/D40_en.pdf

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, going the minimalistic route with those two Nikon AIs lenses would be a Nikon FM or maybe an FM2n for the body. Or an F2 or an F, or a Nikkormat. Going with a D40 deprives you of a meter, but you still have a fair amount of automation with that D40 body, including focus confirmation and TTL flash metering with the appropriate flash. And if you "chip" those lenses, then you have even more automation available. Which just doesn't seem minimalistic to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
To me, going the minimalistic route with those two Nikon AIs lenses would be a Nikon FM or maybe an FM2n for the body.

I thought this too. But I think minimalism should be instant? Like Zen. Film photography is way too much planning.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, I forgot to bid. Mad

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulp, I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me. Now, if it's something I really want, I set my phone's alarm to bring me around.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Yes, completely manual. I got on well with Sunny 16. Shoot in raw and you can recover anything. I chipped my 50mm f2 now I can have auto exposure. Can't find them on ebay today. Search for Dandelion chip Nikon. You stick it on the back of the lens and it can be programmed via the camera.

I don't think you will have any trouble putting the Dandelion Chip on the 24 2.8 but the 105 2.5 will need to have the light baffle cut so that there is clearance. I know because I just chipped mine. I think a D200 would be a good body for them.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about D80?

there is one for 50 euros with faulty af locally