Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mimi - Yashica DSB(?) 28mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Mimi - Yashica DSB(?) 28mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

My C/Y adaptor arrived.

Just tested the Yashica. I thought this one was ML 28mm but it has "DSB" inscrited.

It is the same lens? (sorry my ignorance)

f/2.8
ISO800
1/30

(tomorrow I'll put some testes of my Planar T* 50mm 1.7)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Yashica ML lens shoud better. You have a nice model easy to make beautiful pictures with any lenses Wink My bird is lot more problematic model Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You have a nice model easy to make beautiful pictures with any lenses "

This is one lens. I used it on my 400D.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens (Yashica DSB 28/2.8 ), which won the best of camera industry award (don't remember which year), according to son of machine shop supervisor of Tomioka optical factory. Though my sample is weak against strong incoming light, ie. gets flare easily.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it would be just a "20€ lens" but i liked the results very much!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my Yashica-collecter friend, your DSB 28/2.8 is replacement for the previous YUS 28/2.8 lens distributed only in USA (YUS=Yashica US), which I own.
The lens was designed by Yashica team (not Tomioka Optics) most likely based on YASHIKOR series. Tomioka made YASHINON (ML-line) series.

This was shot by YUS 28/2.8, I may need a better hood or avoid against Sun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Tomioka made YASHINON (ML-line) series.

If that is true (and seeing your experience and knowledge in this forum and other samples in the gallery, I tend to believe that statement) you have just made me more interested in the ML line. The 24 and 28 MLs are well liked here.

Are there any specific lens that were designed by the Tomioka team or all MLs came from them?

I am still waiting for my C/Y adapter to try the ML 28/2.8 I recently received Sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Yashica's ML-lines are all designed and made by Tomioka optics except longer focal length lens and zooms (except ML 28-50/3.5). Those tele and zoom lenses are all made by Tokina so there is no use to spend lots of money to long focal length ML-lens. Smile ML28-50/3.5 is a great lens, but large and heavy. It has a variable aperture to make the lens to have a constant speed f3.5, so at 28mm wide focal the lens apeture closes a bit to retain constant f3.5, this is relatively common feature at that era. Nikon made 25-50/4 (do not make a mistake as 24-50 af zoom) with same aperture mechanism, possibly Minolta's 24-50/4 zoom (might be f3.5, my memory is fading) too.

ML28/2.8 is better than Contax Distagon T* 28/2.8 IMHO, ML28 has uniformly sharp across entire frame and slightly less distortion. Although the centre shaepness is better for CZ28, this same thing can be said to ML35/2.8 against Contax Distagon T* 35/2.8. ML50/1.4 is far less distortion than Planar 50/1.4 and ML50's colour rendition is more normal ie. not too enhanced like Zeiss', I would say they are almost equal. For ML55/1.2 I think that it becomes a cult lens but after f1.4 both ML50/1.4 and ML55/1.2 are undistingushable to me, you do not have to spend money for 55/1.2. Wink
Do not forget ML24/2.8 (which to me might have an aspheric front element), ML macros (F4 and F2.8 almost identical, also comparable to Ziess 60/2.8 macro lens, and better yet (but rare) ML100/3.5 you can call it a macro lens). I have never used ML16mm fisheye and of course telephoto lenses. Embarassed

I have ML-lens directory if you have not seen it. > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/yashicas Embarassed
You should visit Luis Lam's Yashica ML lens page too > http://louislam.photopage.org/Yashica/Yashica.htm

He has a very interesting description of ML21/3.5 lens design. ML21/3.3 was replaced by slower ML21/3.5, but 21/3.3 was distributed only in Euoope as a stop gap, the lens 21/3.3 was developed for security camera as I heard, there is Chinon name 21/3.3 too made by Tomioka of course. This 21/3.3 lens was never sold in Japan, Yashica did not have any document today for this odd lens. And one more about the linage of ML Macro 55/4, this lens was originally designed to work as a part of industrial micro-fiche copy machine. Later it was replaced by ML Macro 55/2.8, though I do not see a big improvement against the slower sibling, which was already pretty good. One time with my friend we compared it against Zeiss Makro 60/2.8, we could not see much difference. Maybe we were blind. Rolling Eyes