Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro Nikkor 55mm/2.8 AI-S oil on blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Micro Nikkor 55mm/2.8 AI-S oil on blades Reply with quote

So I'm getting this Nikkor in mint outside shape but with oil on blades. Is it hard to clean it DIY style? Any traps during dismantle?

Also what is the best cleaning solution? Lighter fluid or something better?

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have You checked this site:

http://blog.prairierimimages.com/2011/06/micro-nikkor-55mm-f28-aperture-blade.html

The writer recommends alcohol for the cleaning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that article Gurdie. Doesn't look to complicate. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You´re welcome.

If you clean your lens, please tell us how did it go. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
http://blog.PrairierRimImages.com/2011/06/micro-nikkor-55mm-f28-aperture-blade.html

The writer recommends alcohol for the cleaning.

I'm the author. I'm glad people are finding that article helpful. I used alcohol simply because I had some on hand and it seemed likely to do the trick. It worked fine. However, if somebody told me that some other chemical would do a better job, I wouldn't argue with them.

I've actually had to tear down & clean that lens three times over the years. If I have to do it again, I'm going to research what sort of lube should be used on the helical to prevent it from happening again. I'm told that Nikon experimented with a new helical lube for this lens, and that's the cause of the chronic oily aperture blades. Maybe some good ol' wheel bearing grease... [jk]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol is on the safe side - if that does not remove the oil, try lighter fluid or petrol based degreasers. Avoid citrus terpene, acetone and paint thinners, these will take off the paint...