Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Telemegor 180mm F5.5 Mount Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Meyer Telemegor 180mm F5.5 Mount Question Reply with quote

I've taken my lens apart by unscrewing the focus helicoid, cleaned and lubricated it and cleaned the rear element. Now it works as it's supposed to.

However, the mount has some play in it and I wondered if it is possible to tighten it. I can't see any screws or pins holding it. I could just apply some liquid metal to the mount/helicoid join to hold it together better if it doesn't `adjust'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check carefully for really tiny set screw(s) which will lock the mount in place. If the mount is attached either by screwing it onto the body or by a spigot with an angled landing then one (or more) screws will probably be present, perhaps under another part of the lens. My experience of lenses is growing (although I have never taken one like this one apart) and I cannot think how the mount would be attached without some kind of screw to lock it unless it was rolled/riveted. Rolling or riveting would be the realm of an extremely cheap manufacturing process and I don't think this would be the case. It wouldn't make sense from a production point of view either, since a lot of lenses are designed to have different mounts attached to essentially the same body.

I certainly would NOT glue it in place.

Of course, I am only too willing to admit I might be wrong, in which case I stand ready to be educated Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing visible, hence my question. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Nothing visible, hence my question. Cool

Then I really would be looking under some other part of the lens for such screws. Either a removable thing like a rubber hand grip or, far more likely, under a part which has to be removed prior to removing the mount. The only other option is that it screws on and there is some damage which prevents it unscrewing. However, in every case where I have thought this in a lens, it has turned out that there is a lock screw which I hadn't undone.

Have you got photos we can see?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, no visible screws or anything to remove. Nothing on the net either.

Araldite it is. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, had another play and still not really any closer other than thinking it's been apart before.

Some pics to see if anyone has a brainwave.

1st pic of the 3 pieces:

Then the two pieces I'm trying to take apart:

And the inside of the barrel:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Difficult to see what is happening here even with the photos, but let us make sure we are on the same page....

These two images are of the same part. Yes?

And the loose part in picture #1 is A, B, or C?

If it is A or B, then I suspect that the front part of this (A - B) could possibly unscrew away from the mount (towards the left in the picture) to reveal some screws.

If it is C then perhaps it is attached from the front.

The two big pins in picture #2 must either be screwed in from outside and they are under the part first mentioned or are just covered in paint on the outside. Either that or they are attached to the inner piece marked and this could possibly unscrew out of the barrel.

Either way, I suspect that working out how these pins are attached is the solution to our little puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these, exactly the same as yours I think.

The conical cover around the M42 mount screws off if I recell correctly, revealing the mount attachment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

The conical cover around the M42 mount screws off if I recell correctly, revealing the mount attachment.

That sounds like a good call B minus C screws off to the right? Mount attached underneath? Yes that sounds right.

Phew, you can put the araldite away now Martin Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, nothing unscrews and I can't get the rest back together now.

Having now seen some of the samples I took with it, I'm not enthusiastic about it..........Landfill. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Nah, nothing unscrews and I can't get the rest back together now.

Having now seen some of the samples I took with it, I'm not enthusiastic about it..........Landfill. Rolling Eyes

No way! I'll pay you postage and some for packaging if you'll send it to me in bits Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it back together quite easily but it has a billion combinations before you get the threads right for infinity and close focus.

Yours for the taking. It's too annoying for me. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Spot on diagnosis! See HERE for details.