Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Primagon 35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Meyer Primagon 35 Reply with quote

I won Primagon 35 together with very nice looking Telemegor 180 for less than €60. I polished both already very preserved looking lens twice, so that Primagon looks brand new now, including untouched optics. Telemegor has some minor flanks and scratches that seems to be uncleanable with my methods.

I sold Telemegor 180 the very same day with a pretty good profit, as there's a demand for them in my country after I've posted that butterfly series of shots made with Smile

Decided to keep Primagon 35 though, for being just too lovely and also a decent performer (although I'm still getting used to its "weird" mm range).

After browsing history of this forums, the lens seems to be a personal darling of many users or even valued as best MF 35mm ever, so I'm quite curious. Anyway, I need something beween fisheye and cheap set lens to shoot some butterfly biotopes and so on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I love the Primagon as well. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot.

I own most of the German 35mms of that era:

Voigtlander Skoparex 3.4/35
Zeiss Opton Biogon 2.8/35
Zeiss Jena Flektogon 2.8/35
Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35
Meyer Primagon 4.5/35

The Primagon is as good as any of them, it is perhaps my favourite as it has the nicest character.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Primagon is as good as any of them, it is perhaps my favourite as it has the nicest character.

Hello, Mr. Sonnar Very Happy By saying so you mean it tend to draw like other Meyers in bokeh attempts or nicest character of relatively conventional photos (panoramas, landscapes) in general?

It's my best condition Meyer lens overall, that should be good enough reason to keep this one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the bokeh and other characteristics - the colours particularly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I also have Primagon. While only two photos. Nice lens!

Click to enlarge

[more]

Фотографии в альбоме «Meyer Primagon 35/4.5», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell that this is taken at f4.5 but it is.
Doesn't show off the Primagon as a different rendering lens from many others, but it does show that it has talent
OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took this today with a Primagon wide open at 4.5
Trying to get bokeh out of it.

Yes, I know this is not a lens for bokeh but it was worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colour is lovely.
Here are a couple from this afternoon to try to show bokeh. It is in shadow but it does give some idea.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some better attempts at bokeh from this lens - from this morning
OH

and a crop:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[more]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent бабушка Very Happy!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serkol, your pictures shown here are excellent!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, looking for Orestegon in my bag, I saw my fellow Primagon. Even better Smile

Europe day in Vilnius. Pentax K20D, f/4.5, resized, levels adjusted.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek, tb_a, thank you!
Marek, especially for you Smile
What do you think about Primagon 35/4.5 vs Helioplan 40/4.5?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy She should join some casting to play some fairy tale granny or so. No wizard or even witch, just an old, wise, learned granny. Kind of the woman that tells family youngsters what to do Smile

Anyway, your phohos has typical Slavic aspect in many elements I partly recognize from my country (countryside, housing, dressing etc.)

I sold Helioplan before I tested the lens properly. I got a nice offer so I took it off, nothing more, nothing less. Now I use only Primagon for countryside photos. Performs enough for me. But I plan to re-gain Helioplan till 2020 Razz

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piktuolis,
I have already mentioned it before, but nobody reacted to my question.
As I have the same camera as you (K20D) it always comes to my mind that it produces somehow slightly different colors compared to my other cameras. When I look at your pictures I have somehow the same feeling. However, I haven't used mine recently. Which color settings are you using in your camera? Did you somehow reduce the intensity of the colors?
I still had no time to play around to find it out myself. Maybe it's the different sensor produced by Samsung in this Pentax model. It may also be that I am getting somehow crazy and it's all only my personal imagination... Wink

Last edited by tb_a on Sun May 10, 2015 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Marek,
As I have the same camera as you (K20D) it always comes to my mind that it produces somehow slightly different colors compared to my other cameras. When I look at your pictures I have somehow the same feeling. However, I haven't used mine recently. Which color settings are you using in your camera? Did you somehow reduce the intensity of the colors?
I still had no time to play around to find it out myself. Maybe it's the different sensor produced by Samsung in this Pentax model. It may also be that I am getting somehow crazy and it's all only my personal imagination... Wink

Hi, wasn't me, as I have EOS 60d.

Anyway, to the pictures.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:

Hi, wasn't me, as I have EOS 60d.

Ups, sorry for that. I confused you with Piktuolis.

I will amend my posting accordingly. Thanks for understanding.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice grasslands on #4 and #5 Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Marek, she is archetypal person Smile
Nice shoots, especially №1

Some more from today

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Piktuolis,

Sorry for taking so long.

I checked camera settings and it's on "normal", which means colors shouldn't be affected in camera, only minor sharpness decrease. I shoot raw and later in Photoshop adjust exposure, contrast etc. but not the colors. In case with Primoplan, I changed white balance because shooting conditions (shade under the trees, evening sun, the grass and bushes around) confused the camera and I really didn't like the result.

As for Canon - I don't have much experience with this brand, but my colleagues who use photo cameras for filming said Canon has really strange colors.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piktuolis wrote:

I checked camera settings and it's on "normal", which means colors shouldn't be affected in camera, only minor sharpness decrease. I shoot raw and later in Photoshop adjust exposure, contrast etc. but not the colors. In case with Primoplan, I changed white balance because shooting conditions (shade under the trees, evening sun, the grass and bushes around) confused the camera and I really didn't like the result.

As for Canon - I don't have much experience with this brand, but my colleagues who use photo cameras for filming said Canon has really strange colors.

Thanks for your comment. So maybe it's either my brain or the Samsung sensor.
I do not have any experience with Canon either. I compare the colors of the K20D with my other cameras from Sony, Panasonic and Ricoh which seem to have more similar coloring compared to the Pentax. That was the reason why I was asking you about the color settings. So it seems to be that actually the Samsung sensor in the K20D is somehow the cause of the very minor, but at least for me visible difference. That came automatically into my mind when I looked at your pictures as I didn't look to my own pictures from the same camera for a longer time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Sunday outing today and I took the Meyer Primagon.
When I have a day out I like to take only a single lens and work with its focal length.
Here are some shots from a very warm summer day.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small