Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Primagon 35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Piktuolis,
I have already mentioned it before, but nobody reacted to my question.
As I have the same camera as you (K20D) it always comes to my mind that it produces somehow slightly different colors compared to my other cameras. When I look at your pictures I have somehow the same feeling. However, I haven't used mine recently. Which color settings are you using in your camera? Did you somehow reduce the intensity of the colors?
I still had no time to play around to find it out myself. Maybe it's the different sensor produced by Samsung in this Pentax model. It may also be that I am getting somehow crazy and it's all only my personal imagination... Wink

It is quite common that different cameras, more specifically different sensors produce different colors. I see this very clearly when I use my Olympus M5 MkII vs Panasonic GH4 (actually all of them). Oly is much colder, less saturated and has less intense colors, Panasonic sensors always had intense, more saturated and more vibrant colors. But I always use to match the camera settings. Same when I used Canon, later Nikon. Always and still, quite some visible difference...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
tb_a wrote:
Piktuolis,
I have already mentioned it before, but nobody reacted to my question.
As I have the same camera as you (K20D) it always comes to my mind that it produces somehow slightly different colors compared to my other cameras. When I look at your pictures I have somehow the same feeling. However, I haven't used mine recently. Which color settings are you using in your camera? Did you somehow reduce the intensity of the colors?
I still had no time to play around to find it out myself. Maybe it's the different sensor produced by Samsung in this Pentax model. It may also be that I am getting somehow crazy and it's all only my personal imagination... Wink

It is quite common that different cameras, more specifically different sensors produce different colors. I see this very clearly when I use my Olympus M5 MkII vs Panasonic GH4 (actually all of them). Oly is much colder, less saturated and has less intense colors, Panasonic sensors always had intense, more saturated and more vibrant colors. But I always use to match the camera settings. Same when I used Canon, later Nikon. Always and still, quite some visible difference...

Well, that's an old comment I made some years ago. Meantime it's more than clear to me as well. Wink

As I just finalized another lens comparison test I also realized again that old Takumar lenses generally tend to produce slightly warmer colors compared to other manufacturer's lenses when used on the same camera/sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

As I just finalized another lens comparison test I also realized again that old Takumar lenses generally tend to produce slightly warmer colors compared to other manufacturer's lenses when used on the same camera/sensor.

Yes, that is something that I have also noticed and it is a part of the charm of old Takumars.
The Meyer Primagon usually gives less saturated and more muted colour - a feature which I like very much.
Of course software like Lightroom doesn't necessarily agree and with auto exposure post production it tries to "enrich" the image.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more from this very nice lens
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Primagon, one of my favourite lenses. Funnily enough, I always thought it gave bright, vivid colours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old topic but to the point. I picked up a Meyer 35mm 4.5 Primagon recently and it arrived the other day. Yes, at 4.5 it is "slow" but wow this is a good lens. With my testing so far I no reservations about using it wide open at 4.5. It is sharp and contrasty. Beautiful lens.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Old topic but to the point. I picked up a Meyer 35mm 4.5 Primagon recently and it arrived the other day. Yes, at 4.5 it is "slow" but wow this is a good lens. With my testing so far I no reservations about using it wide open at 4.5. It is sharp and contrasty. Beautiful lens.

I love mine. It's got a very distinct character different from any other lens. Awesome Meyer-Optik bokeh too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

I love mine. It's got a very distinct character different from any other lens. Awesome Meyer-Optik bokeh too.

Curiosity question (and slightly off topic). What is the Steinheil München lens I see in you profile pic?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Curiosity question (and slightly off topic). What is the Steinheil München lens I see in you profile pic?

It's the 135mm Culminar f/4.5 in LTM. You can pick them up really cheap, but they're delightful little lenses. Tiny!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

It's the 135mm Culminar f/4.5 in LTM. You can pick them up really cheap, but they're delightful little lenses. Tiny!

Steinheil Münchkins! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
KEO wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

Steinheil Münchkins! Laughing

That's a good nickname for the Culminar 135 4.5.

Like 1 Laugh 1