Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Oreston 50 1,8: lost rear group centering
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Meyer Oreston 50 1,8: lost rear group centering Reply with quote

Hello to everybody; during a cleaning ang greasing of my Oreston, I had the bad idea to unscrew the three screws that keep centered the rear group of glass; I thought that like in all other lenses I have seen so far, the group was just screwed up, and the small screws having the function to avoid unwanted unscrewing; instead, the group is kept in the right place ONLY from the already said 3 screws, that have to be individually adjusted to empirically center it. Of course the only way to retrieve the correct centering would be an interferometer, that obviously I don't have. So, before I make a paperweight of my Oreston, I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same problem, and if it is any trick to save this lens.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could fit it to a slide projector then you can make centering adjustments whilst looking at the projected image, not easy but it does work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon wrote:
If you could fit it to a slide projector then you can make centering adjustments whilst looking at the projected image, not easy but it does work.

Thanks, not bad. I must say that when I visited tle Leica factory in 2004, they were checking the lenses (in the last step), observing a slide projected by a projector with a custom made rotating mount... the problem is that the screws are accessible only by removing the lens mount, so no much better than shoot and check with my Canon; BTW I could try to mount the lens inverted, by its filter thread, so that I have free access to the screws... Good starting point! TY!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
I could try to mount the lens inverted, by its filter thread, so that I have free access to the screws... Good starting point! TY!

That is how I do it. I have an old projector that I have modified with a Canon EOS lens mount.
Having a few different EOS lens adaptors it enables me to fit a variety of different lenses and by using an EOS to PK adaptor then a PK reverse adaptor I can fit any lens in reverse by using filter mount step rings if necessary.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.