Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Orestor 100/2.8 - Worth It?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Orestor 100/2.8 - Worth It? Reply with quote

It looks like the Meyer-Optik 100 Oreston could be a good lens. Don't know much about the Orestor, but it might be fund to compare to the Trioplan.

Last edited by Laurence on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, the lens is surely worthy, however two caveats:

1) The seller is, well, discussed; some say they made great bargains from him, others say they were given items damaged. Up to you to decide what to do.

2) I would remove the link: this is an open forum and it may attract unwanted competitors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seller seems to have a plentiful supply of crumbly biscuits which he sprinkles every lens with. You'd think he'd have noticed his pics show every bit of dust and it might be worth his while to clean the items before photographing them, but I suppose he just can't be bothered.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
That seller seems to have a plentiful supply of crumbly biscuits which he sprinkles every lens with. You'd think he'd have noticed his pics show every bit of dust and it might be worth his while to clean the items before photographing them, but I suppose he just can't be bothered.

Yes, between that "dirt problem" and what Orio indicates, I'm up in the air about this.

And, of course, all his auctions are that the item is "optically perfect" which doesn't tell me much about the other attributes of the lens. And that would mean that if the lens was "optically perfect" but had a stuck aperture blades, then I would be out of luck, since he didn't mention the aperture blades specifically...

I'll just follow along and see... Wink Not sure about taking a chance yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orestor is different from Trioplan. Trioplan is a old triplet glass scheme (3 elements in 3 groups). Orestor 100/2.8 is a father of Pentacon 100/2.8 (5 elements in 4 groups). Trioplan isn't a very good lens for general use, but has specific personality Smile I think that's Orestor is a good lens, like Pentacon. If you find example is in good condition, it's could be good choice.
Interesting page about Meyer - Optik lenses:
http://home.arcor.de/cpqrst3/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least 5 copies if this say something... quality is equal level like Nikkor 85mm f1.8!
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_100mm_f2_8/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer-optik-orestor-100mm/

Last edited by Attila on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deleted the link before I saw this, but I knew instantly to whom you are referring. I think he stores his stuff on a construction site.

He's fine for simple things like lens caps, but I will never buy another lens or a camera from him, Laurence. I bought a Soligor 4/200 that was "mechanically and optically perfect" but sadly I didn't realise I needed to understand that if he didn't say the aperture was stopping down correctly then it wasn't! It was only cheap and the return postage was more than the purchase cost so I kept it, but I was quite miffed. Another problem is that he sells so much stuff he doesn't have time for communications and you're unlikely to get any replies to emails. If you see a good bargain and you're ready to risk your money then go for it, but as they say, "You have been warned!"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was looking at this didn't notice the seller so checked again it is out old friend Mr. Rock He is the only person I have had a problem with on ebay (he gave me my 1 bad feedback) this is after he sent me this as mechanically and optically perfect

He agreed to refund but none came after I returned the lens, 2 weeks later I chased him through paypal and eventually they recovered the funds from his account.
He plays a numbers game My bad feedback will hang around my account for a long time, the bad I left for him has long since dropped off the bottom of his list as he is a volume seller. here is his feedback for me
Quote:
BEWARE SELLERS-LIES FROM WORST COMMS BUYER-BANNED FROM ALL MY AUCTIONS-AVOID!!!!
HE never ONCE replied to my repeated requests for a refund after I returned the lens.

It is not just a case of buying a cheap lens with this guy if the lens turns out to be bad (he really doesn't know optics or is a fraud) and you try to get your money back you will end up screwing up your feedback. Factor THAT into the price. Call it the ROCK-TAX! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a sticky post "Nasty sellers" at Marketplace
It would be nice that the first post is just a list of names
followed by explanatory post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only bought a lens cap of him which was fine apart from very slow shipping speed and extortionate postage...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is worth it, but this seller is not Razz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much, all!

My money is valuable, and I don't have a large budget for photography. I will not take the chance. There will be many other opportunities out there, that's for sure! Wink