Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Primotar 135mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Primotar 135mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Had a wonderful day out on Sunday at Middleton Place, an old Charleston plantation. All pictures with NEX-5N and Primotar 3.5/135, and mostly wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fire picture is really impressive! Like a fire spills fireballs. Nice set!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows the weaknesses of the Primotar - soft and glowy wide open with poor contrast. Due to undercorrected coma and spherical aberration.

It's a lens that performs at it's best stopped down. The Pentacon 2.8/135 was a marked improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens shows some weakness, but results are still interesting. First one was lovely Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result! I like softness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Pentacon 2.8/135 was a marked improvement.

Pentacon 135/2.8 is a very dull lens IMO. Yes it has silky bokeh (from early versions with 15 bladed aperture), but it lacks something interesting. Primotar is a much more interesting lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat wrote:

Pentacon 135/2.8 is a very dull lens IMO. Yes it has silky bokeh (from early versions with 15 bladed aperture), but it lacks something interesting. Primotar is a much more interesting lens.

I agree with you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz to grabbing another interesting lens, more interesting than Orestor that more or less followed, way more interesting than Pentacon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends what one finds interesting. Soft glowy bubbly stuff is in vogue at the moment, doesn't make it interesting to everyone though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously mean its Monet like style of drawing as captures eg. user "Valpi" at Flickr, not the bubbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Fascinating lens.
I agree, if Monet was a photographer he would have used a Primotar lens. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all (almost). I love it for its flaws. It actually performs quite well stopped down, but wide open is where the character shows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a lens for effect.
Images 1, 5 and 7 are beautifully nostalgic in their softness and colour.
Good job Michael
OH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nrs 1,3and 7 for me!
Nothing for pixelpeeping, but nice sphere.

Last edited by Minolfan on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great place to spend the day !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Looks like a great place to spend the day !

Yes, except for that copperhead in the path.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few night bubbles bokeh pictures with Primotar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's a lens that performs at it's best stopped down.

I disagree.. use it wide open like woodrim did and it's special (in a good way). If you stop it down it's just one more 135mm lens and there are better options. Sharpness isn't all what a lens has to offer.. Pentacon 2.8/135 (and 1.8/50) may be the technical better choice.. I find them boring.

Ian.. we all know that you don't like the bubbles, you don't have to repeat it every time and everywhere. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2 and #5... you have fun!
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's a lens that performs at it's best stopped down.

I disagree.. use it wide open like woodrim did and it's special (in a good way). If you stop it down it's just one more 135mm lens and there are better options. Sharpness isn't all what a lens has to offer.. Pentacon 2.8/135 (and 1.8/50) may be the technical better choice.. I find them boring.

Ian.. we all know that you don't like the bubbles, you don't have to repeat it every time and everywhere. Wink

Well said. However, I disagree with the part about the 1.8/50 Oreston. I find it to be a wonderfully characterful lens when used wide open. I also find it pretty sharp at fully open. Once stopped down it is very sharp, but it shines at fully open. It doesn't quite match the Primoplan, but close when you consider the money difference. I'll post some images from the Oreston in another thread. Please come take a look. http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-optik-gorlitz-oreston-50mm-f-1-8-t70463.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent examples here, well played sir.
I adore the MOG character and bokeh, so I'm at a loss to explain why I don't own any. Knowing me, which I do, I expect the answer is money, I can't find the right lens at the right price. Ok, ok, I'm tight! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Well said. However, I disagree with the part about the 1.8/50 Oreston.

I'm completely fine with that and can understand your point... but for me it just won't click. When I saw your Oreston images (very good ones btw) I couldn't stop thinking "very nice, but what would be if he had used a different lens?"

I know it's not fair and the Oreston made a pretty good job in your hands but it's stays one of my least favorable 50 (together with the Hexanon 1.7/50). It's just a matter of personal preference.. I said before "I find them boring" which doesn't means it will be a boring lens for everbody.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To woodrim, great stuff with the135mm Primotar. Saw the picturesonline prior to purchasing (including a bunch of yours of course) and that sold me. That sharp enough but amazingly glowey, dreamy effect that I don't know of in any other lense so far. Not like this one anyway.
The German designers did not do that by accident and they produced pure magic (to those of us who adore this lens.
My only problem is the lens I've bought isn't focusing (like at all - just blur) on my Sony Nex 5n with m42 Fotga adapter(it's a chunky one).
Was wondering if you perhaps have a different setup or had to fandangle this beautiful thing differently. Thanks for any reply and if I don't hear anything - enjoy shooting that lens anyway.
All the best.
Ciao.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEYER-OPTIK wrote:
To woodrim, great stuff with the135mm Primotar. Saw the picturesonline prior to purchasing (including a bunch of yours of course) and that sold me. That sharp enough but amazingly glowey, dreamy effect that I don't know of in any other lense so far. Not like this one anyway.
The German designers did not do that by accident and they produced pure magic (to those of us who adore this lens.
My only problem is the lens I've bought isn't focusing (like at all - just blur) on my Sony Nex 5n with m42 Fotga adapter(it's a chunky one).
Was wondering if you perhaps have a different setup or had to fandangle this beautiful thing differently. Thanks for any reply and if I don't hear anything - enjoy shooting that lens anyway.
All the best.
Ciao.

Hello. When I saw this post show up again, I wondered when in relation to my purchase I made these images. I just checked and see that I had purchased the lens only two weeks prior to this original post. I have since used the lens extensively (nearly 3000 images saved) and have purchased two more lenses. My first was a funky external Exa mount, so I bought another in M42. Then I found an older silver one and that is the one I am using now.

Since you have only one post here at MFL, I will presume you are new to manual focus and adapting lenses. Forgive me if that is not true. The first thing that came to mind when I read your issue was that you may be using the wrong adapter type. Are you certain that the lens mount is M42? While I do not recall if the lens came in M39, is it possible that is what you have and maybe with an M42 converter ring?

Of course, it is possible that someone took the lens apart for cleaning and did not return it to the proper infinity setting. If that is the case, it will require reassembly and can be difficult to get right. However, there is still the question about the mount type. Or could you be using the wrong adapter? Is your adapter a helicoid type? If so, what is the range? Maybe a picture of the lens with adapter will be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone cleaned it and put it back wrong. Flipped an element..

It is a tessar design I guess the double concave second element would be easy to get wrong