Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results woodrim!
Wide open still looks like a great lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, underrated lens! I too used to use it a lot, actually until i discovered the Pancolar 1.8/50.

But it's still a beautiful piece of glass, you show it!

Here's one of my wide-open shots with the Oreston:

Claartje by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots in this thread. I just bought this lens for nearly nothing (£4.99). It has some fungus but I reckon it won't show.
Can't wait to shoot with this!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I find this lens to be vastly underrated as both an art lens and very sharp full purpose. All taken with NEX-5N and most, if not all, wide open...

I recently purchased a Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8 for ten dollars at a local thrift store. Initially I was very unimpressed with it. My instinct was to sell it immediately, but Woodrim's impressive images in this post made me hang on to it for awhile. I'm so glad I did. It takes time, patience, and a little work to really get to know some lenses. I've sold too many lenses before really giving them a chance. This is indeed an "art lens" and as such has characteristics that are very valuable to me. I also use this on a NEX5n and I love the auto/manual button as opposed to the usual switch. Why don't more lenses have this? I love it. Thanks Woodrim!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
woodrim wrote:
I find this lens to be vastly underrated as both an art lens and very sharp full purpose. All taken with NEX-5N and most, if not all, wide open...

I recently purchased a Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8 for ten dollars at a local thrift store. Initially I was very unimpressed with it. My instinct was to sell it immediately, but Woodrim's impressive images in this post made me hang on to it for awhile. I'm so glad I did. It takes time, patience, and a little work to really get to know some lenses. I've sold too many lenses before really giving them a chance. This is indeed an "art lens" and as such has characteristics that are very valuable to me. I also use this on a NEX5n and I love the auto/manual button as opposed to the usual switch. Why don't more lenses have this? I love it. Thanks Woodrim!

Oh, you're welcome. Thank you for the compliment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle great lens, you did find sweets spots of this lens , congrats! great oriental style!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the lens that brought me to Meyer Optik Lenses. Still love it though I broke the aperture stopping down pin as it was stuck at about f4.
The second one I have is Meyer Optik Orestegor 200/4 with broken aperture too Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous pictures. Very creative.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I rate this lens as high as the Domiron.

Why? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct that there isn't a preset version in zebra?

I was looking at getting Meyer Zebra preset versions the 30 Lydith and 100 Orestor plus a normal in M42 or Exakta,
I have found nice examples of 30 & 100 in Exaktaand I'm holding off from buying anything till I sort out a normal.
The Domiplan has a preset in M42, but doesn't seem to be available in Exakta, they all seem to have the arm.

The Oreston 50 doesn't seem to have any preset versions.

The Domiron doesn't come in zebra
Am I missing any?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I had this lens (sold now). Here's my series with it http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-oreston-50mm-f1-8-t49265.html

It's a good lens, old school heavy build. Its party piece is close focusing ability. It does 1:4 without any tubes. The thing that I didn't like about that lens is the absence of A/M switch. This is not fatal, but makes changing the aperture less convenient than it could have been. For these reasons I prefer Pentacon MC 50/1.8, which is the same formula, same close focusing, lower weight and better flare resistance. However, the rendering of Pentacon is colder, no doubt due to the coating.

One of my all time favourite lenses.
Question: Any similar lenses out there with a similar close-focusing ability? Dreamy painterly I can find, but ALSO close-focusing? Would love to hear other comparable lenses exist. (roughly in that focal range)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has a very similar close focusing ability, maybe just slightly less close. The version I have is the one for the Exakta RTL camera, I haven't tried an M42 version. The version I have does have an A/M switch from memory.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapt all of my lenses to m and shoot on a helicoid. Zeiss pacolar is nice...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I think the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has a very similar close focusing ability, maybe just slightly less close. The version I have is the one for the Exakta RTL camera, I haven't tried an M42 version. The version I have does have an A/M switch from memory.

Nice one, and still somewhat affordable it seems. I'll investigate!
Also, Practicar 50mm f1.4 but ouchy expensive!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I think the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has a very similar close focusing ability, maybe just slightly less close. The version I have is the one for the Exakta RTL camera, I haven't tried an M42 version. The version I have does have an A/M switch from me9mory.

The close focus of the Oancolar is 35 cm.
The Oreston/Pentacon/Prakticar v.1 is 33 cm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out some of the zebra Tessar 50mm f2.8 lenses also focus up to 35cm.
Nice!