Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor 300mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely sharp shots Woodrim, that lens seems to have smooth bokeh and a rather good shooter behind the viewfinder Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I loved mine and wish I had not sold it. I will buy another in the near future as the color and bokeh are exceptional with this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had a choice of lenses; my Flektogon 35mm with its close focusing ability, or my Meyer 300mm. I went with the Meyer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need quick help: how do you clean back elements? I don't mean the last one which is easy to unscrew. After the last one i am stuck. Ring that follows it is obviously inseparable. Any experience? I am reluctant to fully disassemble from front and lose infinity adjustment...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim wrote:
Today I had a choice of lenses; my Flektogon 35mm with its close focusing ability, or my Meyer 300mm. I went with the Meyer.

With a subject like that I would prefer a still longer lens, certainly not a wide angle like Flektogon, and keep myself some meters extra away!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Need quick help: how do you clean back elements? I don't mean the last one which is easy to unscrew. After the last one i am stuck. Ring that follows it is obviously inseparable. Any experience? I am reluctant to fully disassemble from front and lose infinity adjustment...

I would also like to know that, mine have some small loose rubber parts inside. I want to remove them Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Woodrim wrote:

With a subject like that I would prefer a still longer lens, certainly not a wide angle like Flektogon, and keep myself some meters extra away!

I will tell this story again: Back in the day (circa 1975) I had an Olympus Pen-FT half-frame 135 SLR, frame about the same size as an APS-C sensor. Upon it I mounted: 2X TC; bellows; tubes; 400mm lens. I mounted all this upon a shoulder stock. Thus could I photograph (in the bright mid-day sun, with fast film) closeups of live rattlesnakes in the wild from a safe distance, like 3-4m. Yes, I must find and scan those negatives, for proof...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would get me within 3-4m of a rattler for love nor money!

Sounds like a crazy setup!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Orestegor adapter flange distance Reply with quote

Dear Orestegor 300mm f/4 owners,

I am glad I have found admirers of the same glass I bought recently. I am going to try astro and sky photography (since Lidlscope 700mm is too long for many objects, especially while using 1/3" chip). However, my lens do not have any adapter (M42 nor P6) included -- it was very cheap. Therefore, I am going to order CNC machined adapter directly from Orestegor 300 to T2 male thread.

My question is, what is the right distance between M75x0.75 thread at the lens and focal plane?

Please, could you the owners of either M42 or P6 version, measure the distance (or indirectly other cone dimensions) between M75x0.75 and M42/P6 side? It would be very helpful.

If anybody is then interested into Orestegor-T2 adapter then, I may order more than one piece, for sure.

Thank you!
robotron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can likely find an adapter on ebay that will take it directly to your camera type. Am I missing something with your question? My Orestegor is a P-6 and I was able to get a P-6 to Sony-A adapter. It works fairly well with the exception of a little looseness.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took this lens out yesterday because I expected distant wildlife, but in the end they were mostly too distant. I did take this picture, handheld, and thought it a good example of the sharpness of the lens. I'm posting the full size image for those that like to examine pixels and may be doing so in comparison with other lenses of the focal length. I wouldn't say this is the sharpest lens in its category, but I find it sharp enough when I hit it right. There was another photographer there and his girlfriend commented on the size of my lens, which I suspect made him feel inadequate Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree fully, sharp enough to use it and it has nice 'Meyer' tone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Pentacon version of this. Sharp enough for me, Enough weight to take out most of my Natural shake. The Ostrich was shot handheld, with a screaming 3yr old in tow, and a jostling crowd behind me. Slight sharpening, level tweaks and the usual Watermark and Border. No other PP.

Passers-by tend not to ask silly questions, apart from the obvious one... "How much did *that* cost"? "not much" as a reply has not been taken as a serious answer once.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Orestegon 4/300 - Lens Hood Reply with quote

Hi together,

as I am owner of one of these monsters to I had to learn, that the original lens-hood is to short for 35mm/APS use. The first attempt to improve contrast ans sharpness was to add a B&W 486 UV/IR-Cut-Filter, which improved the appearande of the blue fringes seriously, the next step was to add a metal lenshood + adapter with 112mm diameter instaed of the original one. The sensitivity for false ligh is reduced siginifikantly, it might be a little bit longer all the ways, but Heliopan, I got it from, has for each diameter "tele" or "normal" length, so there is no chance to select more. Another change was, to replace the M42- by the P6-Adapter and use a P6-EOS-Adapter for connection to my EOS, it is more stable on the tripod with less vibrations when shooting.

Possible that these information helps a little bit to bring this classic peace of glas in use - I myself prefer it in comparison with the Zeiss 4/300 due to its perfect bokeh - nearly all of the Meyer-Optics have this feature, and that is what I like when using these vintage lenses.

Jörg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome (from another Trekkie) to the forum and thank you for sharing this valuable experience. Please post some shots is available.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Could you provide side by side images without processing to show the difference? A quick look-up suggests this filter may cost more than the lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope someone who owns this lens can help me out, here...

I have just bought the Pentacon version of this 300/4 lens.

I was a little disappointed, I had got the impression from several sources on the internet (including this thread) that the lens had a Pentacon 6 mount and used P6 to M42 adapters (or whatever you desire).

It appears this is NOT the case - or at least it isn't with my lens. My lens has a mount with screw thread of about 75mm diameter - the same as the rear view pic near the start of this thread.

This is not P6 (which is a three lobed bayonet).
Anyone know what it is?

I actually want the P6 mount as I own a Pentacon 6 camera.
I'm hoping there is an adapter available to go from this screw mount to P6.
Alternatively, maybe the lens was made in P6 and this other mount, and I have the wrong one.
Can anyone clarify this, please?

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a picture?

Looking at mine, I see your quandry. Looking at the available P6 adaptors out there, Mine does not have lugs either.

I'll post pictures later, but there is a locating pin for the M42 adaptor, a screw thread for the collar of the adaptor to go on to, and that pretty much it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewStuff wrote:
Can you post a picture?

Looking at mine, I see your quandry. Looking at the available P6 adaptors out there, Mine does not have lugs either.

I'll post pictures later, but there is a locating pin for the M42 adaptor, a screw thread for the collar of the adaptor to go on to, and that pretty much it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, mine is exactly the same as the one in the photograph by use "blende8" on page one.

It appears the lens is NOT a pentacon 6 lens, as such, it is a lens that can have either M42 or Pentacon 6 adapters screwed onto it. Without either adapter - I think it is just an incomplete lens?

So, my question is:

DOES ANYONE PLEASE HAVE A PENTACON 6 ADAPTER FOR THIS LENS THEY WANT TO SELL?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven_e007 wrote:

DOES ANYONE PLEASE HAVE A PENTACON 6 ADAPTER FOR THIS LENS THEY WANT TO SELL?

You can get these adapters new from Baier Foto: http://www.baierfoto.de/#english
He doesn't list them any more, but I would just write an email and ask. I ordered mine there, and I can certainly recommend him.

The bigger problem might be the threaded ring that is fixing the adapter to the lens. If you don't have that any more, than you can't mount the adapter. Then you need somebody who is really handy with a lathe.

coon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have one. I'll have to look around if you'd like me to. I imagine mine came with the P-6 mout which I removed when I put the Sony A-mount adapter on it. Those are reverse threads, by the way, so don't forget when it comes time to remove a mount.