Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Lydith 30mm f/3.5 - Zebra style, Exakta mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Meyer Lydith 30mm f/3.5 - Zebra style, Exakta mount Reply with quote

Meyer Lydith 30mm f/3.5 - Exakta mount

DSC02498 by luisalegria, on Flickr

My Meyer Lydith, in Exakta mount, a "zebra" version of the 1960's probably. Shown on my VX1000, one of my working Exaktas.

I've had this lens for several years now, and I did use it a bit, intermittently.
I shot a roll or two a few years ago with it, on an Exa. I probably have some negatives I can identify and add to this.

In any case, this is hardly an unknown or rare lens, so this post is a bit redundant. There are plenty of fans of this lens who can do an excellent job with it.
The new Meyer Optik Görlitz operation has a new Lydith that is a bit less plebian - https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en-us/lydith-30-f3.5?c=118 - and for over $1500
I note that the new Lydith is no longer available though.
The rest of us can spend about $30-60, though I see some going for over $100, which is quite strange. This thing is hardly rare.

I just ran across my lens again, rummaging through the Exakta stuff, and of course every lens deserves its day.
Its a very simple thing, a perfectly ordinary preset aperture mechanism, and thats about it. Minimum focus is quite good, it is easy to use and in mine anyway everything is perfectly functional. Its got one of the more tasteful "zebra" styles and looks quite the handsome little thing.

This is tough to use on Pentax, give the back focus issues of the Exakta mount, though I understand that this can be adjusted fairly easily. I might give that a try. But for now I used it on a NEX-7 with the regular Exakta adapter ring. Of course this is APS-C and it doesn't come across properly as the wide angle lens it is.

I was quite happy with it. It performs very reliably and with no vices, not even flare. It is sharp and contrasty across the frame, has very predictable results in both brightness and shadow. f/3.5 did not limit the capacity for interesting bokeh, though I am no expert. I did not get an impression of anything special going on in terms of focused/unfocused transitions, nor anything unusual with colors, which it handles also very reliably. Its a good "normal" for street photography on a Sony platform, in Exakta mount, and no doubt any APS-C or full frame mirrorless.

There is a just hint of less-than-perfect corners in a few shots, but that will have to be tested with a full-frame camera. It may be just a bit too small, on the cameras it was made for, the focus ring in particular is rather narrow. It looks disproportionate on a regular Exakta (see above) but its excellent and proportional on an Exa.

Samples -

DSC00994 by luisalegria, on Flickr

From the Amtrak Capitol Corridor train, on the way to Sacramento. Tidal flats near Fairfield.

DSC00966 by luisalegria, on Flickr

Triple bridges, Benicia.

DSC01144 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00949 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00904 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC01170 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC01103 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC01274 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC01201 by luisalegria, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wonderful old lens Luis, and as you say surprisingly good.
Some very nicely rendered images from yours.
Well done
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy my Lydith Smile
I was lucky to find it on eBay with an M42-PK adaptor already fitted, which no-one else seemed to recognise, so I got it at the starting price of "not a lot"!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images from today at the gallery
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would read with interest results on full frame cameras. I would like a nice set of soviet or old German m42 lenses and I am running short of options wide angle wise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Altix version of this which is very rare. It too is a zebra lens. The only one in the Altix range. So I wonder if it was only made in Zebra.

I'm happy with the performance on my Sony A7, I'm going to try it on film and on my Pentax K1000. Its quite a useful length

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feed back. Is it acceptable in the corners at infinity around 5,6 on your A7?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Thank you for the feed back. Is it acceptable in the corners at infinity around 5,6 on your A7?

I had a copy of that lens back in the 1980s and I got really good results stopped down to about f/11. Nevertheless, I replaced it first with an SMC Pentax M 28 mm f/2.8 and, later on, with an SMC Pentax A 28 mm f/2.8 which are both vastly better lenses than the Meyer/Pentacon 30 mm f/3.5. I've recently tried another sample on my Sony A7R and I was not overwhelmed - in fact, the sharpness in the corners is bad wide open, and only OK stopped down to f/11 (and far from good..) in the border and corner areas. Honestly, I don't really understand the hype surrounding this old lens whose optical formula dates back to the 1960s...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my M42 copy on Sigma fp

_FP01558_2048px by serkol64, on Flickr

_FP01513_2048px by serkol64, on Flickr

_FP01536_2048px by serkol64, on Flickr

_FP01427_2048px by serkol64, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics thanks and the FP seems to do well at high isos.

It seems to me that center sharpness is quite good but the corners are not.

I can trade corners against super sharp 80% of the frame but that necessitates higher resolution pics at low isos to have an idea of the result.

In any case I am grateful for the samples and open to all ideas for a good M42 (if possible coming from the cold east) wide angle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Lydith 30mm f/3.5 - Zebra style, Exakta mount Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Meyer Lydith 30mm f/3.5 - Exakta mount

My Meyer Lydith, in Exakta mount, a "zebra" version of the 1960's probably. Shown on my VX1000, one of my working Exaktas.

I've had this lens for several years now, and I did use it a bit, intermittently.
I shot a roll or two a few years ago with it, on an Exa. I probably have some negatives I can identify and add to this.

In any case, this is hardly an unknown or rare lens, so this post is a bit redundant. There are plenty of fans of this lens who can do an excellent job with it.
The new Meyer Optik Görlitz operation has a new Lydith that is a bit less plebian - https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en-us/lydith-30-f3.5?c=118 - and for over $1500
I note that the new Lydith is no longer available though.
The rest of us can spend about $30-60, though I see some going for over $100, which is quite strange. This thing is hardly rare.

I just ran across my lens again, rummaging through the Exakta stuff, and of course every lens deserves its day.
Its a very simple thing, a perfectly ordinary preset aperture mechanism, and thats about it. Minimum focus is quite good, it is easy to use and in mine anyway everything is perfectly functional. Its got one of the more tasteful "zebra" styles and looks quite the handsome little thing.

This is tough to use on Pentax, give the back focus issues of the Exakta mount, though I understand that this can be adjusted fairly easily. I might give that a try. But for now I used it on a NEX-7 with the regular Exakta adapter ring. Of course this is APS-C and it doesn't come across properly as the wide angle lens it is.

I was quite happy with it. It performs very reliably and with no vices, not even flare. It is sharp and contrasty across the frame, has very predictable results in both brightness and shadow. f/3.5 did not limit the capacity for interesting bokeh, though I am no expert. I did not get an impression of anything special going on in terms of focused/unfocused transitions, nor anything unusual with colors, which it handles also very reliably. Its a good "normal" for street photography on a Sony platform, in Exakta mount, and no doubt any APS-C or full frame mirrorless.

There is a just hint of less-than-perfect corners in a few shots, but that will have to be tested with a full-frame camera. It may be just a bit too small, on the cameras it was made for, the focus ring in particular is rather narrow. It looks disproportionate on a regular Exakta (see above) but its excellent and proportional on an Exa.

Samples -

DSC00994 by luisalegria, on Flickr

From the Amtrak Capitol Corridor train, on the way to Sacramento. Tidal flats near Fairfield.

Enjoyable pictures. Did you take these with a Pentax DSLR? What kind of adapter is needed to fit an Exakta-mount lens on a Pentax camera?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
I enjoy my Lydith Smile
I was lucky to find it on eBay with an M42-PK adaptor already fitted, which no-one else seemed to recognise, so I got it at the starting price of "not a lot"!

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I had a copy of that lens back in the 1980s and I got really good results stopped down to about f/11. Nevertheless, I replaced it first with an SMC Pentax M 28 mm f/2.8 and, later on, with an SMC Pentax A 28 mm f/2.8 which are both vastly better lenses than the Meyer/Pentacon 30 mm f/3.5. I've recently tried another sample on my Sony A7R and I was not overwhelmed - in fact, the sharpness in the corners is bad wide open, and only OK stopped down to f/11 (and far from good..) in the border and corner areas. Honestly, I don't really understand the hype surrounding this old lens whose optical formula dates back to the 1960s...

Many thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I could not use a Pentax. I used my Sony Nex-7. A handy and handsome little thing, just right for MF lenses. It hasn't got the video capabilities or autofocus of its newer models, but its 24MP, has an EVF and one can mount any lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I wouldn't call the sharing of images by a lens on this forum "hype".
Perhaps it is over-enthusiastically portrayed elsewhere, but here we simply show images taken with lenses and comment on their performance.
Your experiences may be reflected by others, and maybe not.
Also, too often I think people get hung up on "full frame" performance, as if it is some holy grail.
Lenses may or may not perform better on APSc or micro four thirds than on full frame cameras - usually they show better results from what I have seen.
Just because someone can't replicate an image on full frame that was taken on APSc, doesn't make the lens bad, it simply shows where its strengths and weaknesses lie.
Most of us try to show off a lens' strengths - after all, who wants to display a sub standard image.
So, just because a Sony A7 can't get the best out of a lens, doesn't mean the lens is without value.
After all, there are millions of APSc mirrorless camera users out there who can.
As for the Meyer Lydith - it performs very nicely for me on my Fuji (APSc), and as a light attachment to the little XE-2s, it makes an excellent street shooter that sits easily in my bag.
I like it a lot
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once shot a brick wall with the lens (well the later Pentacon branded version) at F3.5 and F8. For shooting brick walls there are better lenses Wink

30/3.5 F3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

30/3.5 F8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, there are dozens of old lenses in the 28mm range that would do as well, and if one wants to get technical. probably a good number that would do better. My interest in this is that it is old and good looking and still does a decent job as far as I am concerned, but I have low standards in a technical sense. That's a bit of a shallow reason to like a lens, but it works for me. I like looking at my things while I am using them, its part of the enthusiasm one brings to the hunt for pictures. I do all this to please myself after all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
To be clear, there are dozens of old lenses in the 28mm range that would do as well, and if one wants to get technical. probably a good number that would do better. My interest in this is that it is old and good looking and still does a decent job as far as I am concerned, but I have low standards in a technical sense. That's a bit of a shallow reason to like a lens, but it works for me. I like looking at my things while I am using them, its part of the enthusiasm one brings to the hunt for pictures. I do all this to please myself after all.
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoy the hype of using the metal gear imperfect on the corners , besides ,on my 24" fullHD without PP they look good to my eyes. To be honest ,i appreciate the tests so many around here do on comparing lenses attributes, and extreme corner sharpness is one of them ,but not the only one. At the end, what matters for each one of us ,is the joy we can get out of the gear we are using (well, i assume professional people might not afford to waist their time to get the perfect image out of these lenses nowadays ,in most cases).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brickwall example (according EXIF from a Pentax K1 FF camera) very good illustrates that this lens is max. mediocre on FF whilst more than usable on crop sensor cameras like APSC or even MFT.
When I acquired my A7R II 42MP/FF camera I had to accept that many of my old adapted lenses I used and liked before on APSC or MFT are no longer acceptable for landscapes and alike on FF.
At least for me it's therefore quite important to know the used camera/sensor when looking at presented pictures. The achievable result is always the combination of the lens AND the used camera/sensor (and finally the presented output size).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day people didn't have pixel peeping capabilities and they shot using the sunny sixteen rule, so wide open corner resolution was just something you could read about in magazines which most people didn't read when in the market for GDR priced camera gear.