Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 58mm pre-war
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 58mm pre-war Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and new to film/mf photography but as a keen digital photographer i am investigating my grandfathers camera and how to use it. The camera itself appears to be a Leica iiib which my grandfather bought before WWII and continued to use for many years.

The lens is a Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 with the focal length listed as 2" (58m) and has engraving that indicates the lens was purchased from the Singapore Photo Company. My confusion about the lens is: The lens details are engraved in the outward facing silver colored ring, not in the black inner facing ring that I have seen on other lenses of the same description, and that the focal length is listed in inches, not mm.

The lens appears to be in quite good condition for its age, the aperture ring moves smoothly, however the focus ring is quite stiff. The glass appears to be clear, however there are a few dust/dirt spots between the inner elements that need cleaning.

My questions that I would appreciate any guidance on are:

1 - What exactly is this lens? (why does it look different to other Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 58mm that I can see on the internet)
2 - What is it worth?
3 - How should I restore it? (Any recommendations for service places available from NZ/Australia to clean the glass and lube the focus movement)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 58mm pre-war Reply with quote

brendan wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and new to film/mf photography but as a keen digital photographer i am investigating my grandfathers camera and how to use it. The camera itself appears to be a Leica iiib which my grandfather bought before WWII and continued to use for many years.

The lens is a Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 with the focal length listed as 2" (58m) and has engraving that indicates the lens was purchased from the Singapore Photo Company. My confusion about the lens is: The lens details are engraved in the outward facing silver colored ring, not in the black inner facing ring that I have seen on other lenses of the same description, and that the focal length is listed in inches, not mm.

The lens appears to be in quite good condition for its age, the aperture ring moves smoothly, however the focus ring is quite stiff. The glass appears to be clear, however there are a few dust/dirt spots between the inner elements that need cleaning.

My questions that I would appreciate any guidance on are:

1 - What exactly is this lens? (why does it look different to other Meyer Gorlitz 1.9 58mm that I can see on the internet)
2 - What is it worth?
3 - How should I restore it? (Any recommendations for service places available from NZ/Australia to clean the glass and lube the focus movement)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised that 2 inches is 50.8mm not 58mm, so I presume this is actually the 50mm/5cm version of the lens.

The only other one I can find that has the same look is this lens which is also a similar, but slightly newer serial number - https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/42557378

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know little about Meyer except what I have learned on this forum but that looks to be a quite rare lens. I would only have an experienced antique lens expert CLA that gem.