Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Görlitz Primoplan 58/1.9 - pre war model
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Meyer Görlitz Primoplan 58/1.9 - pre war model Reply with quote

I already owned this lens in its more recent model but I recently managed to get one in exa mount made for the Kine Exakta, probably around 1940 (I'd need to find Meyer s/n related to years... Klaus? Any help? Wink ).

I spent the last two days testing it on a digital camera (Oly e410, until I can find a good EXA-EOS adapter) and I wrote a review about it on my blog: http://foodografia.blogspot.com/2009/05/meyer-gorlitz-primoplan-5819.html

Some images:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty awesome, I like it very much. Many thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the Primoplan!
I am still trying to get my first one.
Pics look nice - bokeh seems less "swirling" than what I have seen before from this lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Congratulations on the Primoplan!
I am still trying to get my first one.
Pics look nice - bokeh seems less "swirling" than what I have seen before from this lens.

I already owned a post war Primoplan but it is pretty different than this one, more quiet to be honest, but also less sharp and tridimensional stopped down.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer Görlitz Primoplan 58/1.9 - pre war model Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I already owned this lens in its more recent model but I recently managed to get one in exa mount made for the Kine Exakta, probably around 1940 (I'd need to find Meyer s/n related to years... Klaus? Any help? Wink ).

Nice lens!

I'd estimate the production year to be somewhere around 1937-1938, or thereabout... S/n 650 000 was reached in 1935, and 900 000 in 1938, so it has to fall somewhere between.

The picture quality somehow reminds me of my 25cm Tele Megor, being uncoated and all, except the Primoplan is much sharper! Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I already owned a post war Primoplan but it is pretty different than this one, more quiet to be honest, but also less sharp and tridimensional stopped down.

Which version do you have? The manual (small, cyan coating), or the pre-set (slightly bigger)?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow pre-war Primoplan owner (albeit the 7,5cm) I really like your results, but I also share the conclusion that the pre-war Meyers are better than the post-war ones. At least with regards to build quality and sharpness.

Great samples by the way!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

Which version do you have? The manual (small, cyan coating), or the pre-set (slightly bigger)?

Mine is completely manual, the coating, if there was any, I think is no more, it has been pretty much used and cleaned Wink.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bokeh of this lens. It's like a painting.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! I also like my copy a lot. By no means it is perfect, but it has something special that is very hard to describe.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: I like these shots a lot Reply with quote

I love the backgound of these... they seem more linear than circular highlights. I have the 100 2.8 trioplan, but this looks like it would be a fun OOF lens to add to my ever increasing 50mm range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know, who was the inventor of Primoplan?

Zeiss lens designs (esp. pre-war and post-war from west Germany) are well documented. Even the soviet copies have great online documentation, but I can't find anything about Meyer designs...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could do some research on the German patents site?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratulations, pretty early lens from 1937!

Paul Schäfter is named as inventor of the 1,9/58 Primoplan in 1937.

Stephan Roeschlein for the Primoplan in 1936. Probably for the 1,9/75 and 1,9/100??

1934 the Primoplan 1,9/50 was made for Leica and Contax.
There had been a few 1,9/5cm Primoplan (2 specimen known until now) in 1936 for Exakta.

Since 1913, Primoplan is a trademark of Meyer-Optik.

Not much information and maybe not 100% correct.

Most of the Meyer-history is still hidden in the mist of time. Or so Razz

Maybe a few information may turn up, when the last door (indeed, there is a door in Görlitz) may be opened by some fellow researchers

Greetings
klaus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get past the greens with the blue sky Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an Exakta mount prewar 5.8cm Primoplan, and remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it was designed initially as a cine lens, for maximum light transmission: I do see a lot of pre-war Meyer cine lenses on the 'Bay...

It also was based on an Ernostar formula...it is not a Gauss design...it's a relative of a Sonnar. So it is softer and "rounder" than the Gauss-derived Biotars and Xenons of the day (at least to my eyes.)

It's one of my favorite people lenses on a crop dSLR. These are all wide open:

Last edited by eggboy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus: Thank you very much fot this rare info Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the highlight on that top pic Eggboy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some from me:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fates wrote:
Really like the highlight on that top pic Eggboy!

Thanks! Usually shots like that get blown out by flare on this lens...maybe if the rays hit at just the correct angle...

Having a kid really upped the amount of shooting I do...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3578446232_d7294c94fd_o.jpg

This one shows exactly what I love on old Meyer lenses. It's the exceptional bokeh, which any modern lens design (maybe with the exception of Volna-9) can't replicate Smile