Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Goerlitz new lens(es)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
kds315* wrote:
..... they were infected by Zeiss' new naming conventions, err "marketing speak"

Who the heck is responsible for those birdyish names?
What did she or he smoke, what did they have for breakfast?

I'm in deep love with my Zeiss items, no matter which year or mount, they are my fun.

But "Touit", "Otus" or "Loxia" (next name should be "vulture" for me, ha ha), how insane can an individuum be coming these vocabluary into mind??

I'm in deep compassion with Dr. Nasse about explaining the new "names"....
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln39_en_web_special_tessar.pdf
http://lavidaleica.com/assets/reviews/zms/en_CLN40_Nasse_LensNames_Planar.pdf
http://www.fotoskoda.cz/images-old/multi/popisobr/ZEISS/Distagon.pdf

once there was a time Zeiss(s) did FIGHT at international courts about their name(s):
http://uni-leipzig.de/~iprserv/veranstaltungsmaterialien/comp-law_ss11_fall2.pdf

and today?

They have birds in their mind...

Thakns for sharing these articles. I found a really interesting section in the first one:

Quote:
The Vario-Tessar also has little in
common with the general design of its
namesake. Its name expresses that this
Vario (zoom) lens delivers good
performance at a moderate price – like
the famous Tessar

So they started to use the name for unrelated designs these days; pretty sad that marketing dictates everything...

Btw that "mobile phone" lens looks really powerful; I thought all camera phone lenses are crap. I was wrong. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swirly one seems to be targeted to all people that wanted a Petzval in modern exterior.

I would have preferred a 105 or 75 .

I am not sure I want another 85.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could they not have asked you before!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking isn't it Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thought exactly the same!! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
The Meyer Optik Görlitz 1,4/85 Somnium seems to swirl, after first bokeh images I could see.
I wait for more info, it seems a bit like it gives sometimes bubbles. I don´t know wheter it was background of forground bokeh :-/

The Meyer Optik Görlitz 1,4/85mm Somnium has some swirl (probably less than Helios 40) but the cateye bokeh is much like I know it from the Helios 40.
At the moment I don´t know whats the Somnium has better than the Helios 40 - probably I know more after my Photokina visit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had it in my hands, it is a Helios! So much about Made in Germany!
They did a little job about engraving and disguising and told me, that they will do a very good job with centering the glasses......

Shocked

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
They did a little job about engraving and disguising and told me, that they will do a very good job with centering the glasses......

Shocked

Klaus

The sample of the Meyer Optik Görlitz 1,4/85 mm Somnium (Typ Helios) can be found on the homepage now http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.de/ .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:

Shocked

Klaus

Really looks like a Helios 40-2 copy indeed. So it will be Meyer outside and Lomo inside??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On saturday I was on the Photokina too, and the two lenses are quite boring for me.
My Helios 40 (M39 chrome) is optical ok, only the mechanics is a bit problematic, there is some play in the focus.
So I do not need a optimized version. And the Figmentum looks like a Mitakon with some optimzed housing parts - nothing I need.

New Meyer Optik Görlitz

Sorry, no image here at the moment, my new webeditor (bluegriffon) creates bombastic image names :-/

bernhardas wrote:
That explains why no funds where collected for development: there is none.

To collect funds for development is not the usual way to creat something Smile
Kickstarter is quite common today - for very small companies. But most lenses are still made without collecting money in the public.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we have is a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar copy made in Russia being sold as a Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Somnium.

Am I the only one that finds this extremely ironic?

I think the names Somnium and Figmentium are terrible names, Somnium immediately made me think of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari and his somnambulist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
On saturday I was on the Photokina too, and the two lenses are quite boring for me.
My Helios 40 (M39 chrome) is optical ok, only the mechanics is a bit problematic, there is some play in the focus.
So I do not need a optimized version. And the Figmentum looks like a Mitakon with some optimzed housing parts - nothing I need.

New Meyer Optik Görlitz

Sorry, no image here at the moment, my new webeditor (bluegriffon) creates bombastic image names :-/

bernhardas wrote:
That explains why no funds where collected for development: there is none.

To collect funds for development is not the usual way to creat something Smile
Kickstarter is quite common today - for very small companies. But most lenses are still made without collecting money in the public.

I think you are right. The Figmentum is a Mitakon 85mm mark II with custom costume. The build-in hood and the coating is similar to the Mitakon. It is a good new that they confirm the Mitakon 85mm is a good lens. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
...I might be wrong but I thought that the company is a start up.

I do not know how the organization works, but the new Meyer Göerlitz brand belongs to Globell
http://de.globell.com/produkte/foto
They have brands like ACDsee image processing software, Datacolor color management, WinZip data compression and Bitdefender security suite and others.
So I suppose they have the money without public external funding.
And yes, for such lenses not much funding is needed Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So what we have is a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar copy made in Russia being sold as a Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Somnium.

Am I the only one that finds this extremely ironic?...

Yes it is ironic Smile

So the Zeiss Jena lens Design comes back to Germany.
I don´t know how much and how they adjust in that 85/1.4 lens.
Many lenses are only centered while their exact diameter is made. In case this process is made on Germany it would be some major work with high accuracy needs. There is at least one German manufacturer for such machines, and I think much knowledge at many optical companies.
In many modern lenses it seems the lens is aligned while glueing it inside a housing part. Not on the original Helios 40-2 design.

Probably there are adjustment posibillities in the lens housing itself (centering screws or such). I think this would be the easiest way to optimize the lens. But not sure wheter this is iimplemented n the original Helios 40-2 design. If they have to add such housing details, it would be major work too.

I have no idea how bad the quality deviation of the new producted Helios 40-2 is. They claim it is very bad, I think 20% good, 80% bad - this would be a very good reason for a optimized version.
But the lens name and "Made in Germany" feels wrong for me.

calvin83 wrote:
...The Figmentum is a Mitakon 85mm mark II with custom costume. The build-in hood and the coating is similar to the Mitakon. It is a good new that they confirm the Mitakon 85mm is a good lens. Laughing

I wonder wheter they optimize it too. So I don´t know how good the original is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be nice if they optimize the Samyang 85mm F1.4 with metal housing and accurate infinity...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
It will be nice if they optimize the Samyang 85mm F1.4 with metal housing and accurate infinity...

Yes, the Samyang lenses could need optimization Smile
My 14mm Samyang is dead at the moment, I could not adjust it well enough at the moment to work with it again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no new designs, just rebranding other lenses. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Yes, I hope to get more information what is modified in the new Meyer Goerlitz lenses.

But I feel disappointed - wrong marketing from my point of view. It would have been better to tell the truth from beginning, and not as a reaction. And better not call the modified Helios 40 lens "Made in Germany" - this results in bad feelings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it really made in Germany or made in China? I don't think Biotar optics with German assembly, lube, and housing is such a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Mark wrote:

Yes, I hope to get more information what is modified in the new Meyer Goerlitz lenses.

But I feel disappointed - wrong marketing from my point of view. It would have been better to tell the truth from beginning, and not as a reaction. And better not call the modified Helios 40 lens "Made in Germany" - this results in bad feelings.

Cannot more than agree, making customers feels like being cheated on was never a clever marketing idea and never paid off Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
So is it really made in Germany or made in China? I don't think Biotar optics with German assembly, lube, and housing is such a bad idea.

Somnium: optics from Russian (Zenit)

Figmentum: optics from China (Zhongyi Optics (Mitakon))

Both Assembled in Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pictures taken with the prototypes shown at Photokina.

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 85mm f/1.4 Somnium © Raffaele Horstmann

Click to enlarge

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 80mm f/1.8 Figmentum (on Nikon D700) © Firat Bagdu

Click to enlarge

Since early November the 80mm f/1.8 Figmentum has become the 85mm f/2 Figmentum.

The price of the 85mm f/2 Figmentum is €599 whereas that of the 80mm f/1.8 Figmentum was €849.

A third Meyer-Optik Görlitz lens was simultaneously announced: the 35mm f/2 Figmentum (€599 too).

Made in Germany: Meyer-Optik-Görlitz Objektive auf Deutschland-Tour 2014 - Products - News - Globell B.V.

It so happens that these two Meyer-Optik Görlitz Figmentums are rebadged Mitakons Shocked

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 85 mm f/2 Figmentum (€599, left) vs. Zhongyi Mitakon 85 mm f/2 Creator ($199, right):

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 35 mm f/2 Figmentum (€599, left) vs. Zhongyi Mitakon 35 mm f/2 Creator ($199, right):

"Made in Germany", they said... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A figmentum of someone's imaginationum?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they made these lenses available in M42 or Exakta mounts - I wouldn't care less where they came from. Laughing