Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Metabones Speed Booster TEST THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a lot of questions about a Speedbooster for Canon FD. Forgive my ignorance, but since there is one for Leica R and the registration distance for R lenses is greater than for FD lenses, aren't there adapters to from FD to R and then those FD lenses will be usable on the Speedbooster?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That goes the other way around. Register on FD < Register on Leica R. Therefore if there were FD speedbooster, then you could use Leica R or Nikon or m42 or Zuiko lenses with a simple adapter on FD booster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
That goes the other way around. Register on FD < Register on Leica R. Therefore if there were FD speedbooster, then you could use Leica R or Nikon or m42 or Zuiko lenses with a simple adapter on FD booster.

Indeed you are right!

But there is an Alpa speedbooster in existence and Alpa Reflex has flange focal distance of 37.8mm - less than both FD and R and just about any other mount. So in principle one could use all these mounts, like FD with an FD to Alpa adapter and the Alpa speedbooster.

Or am I missing something again?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:

But there is an Alpa speedbooster in existence and Alpa Reflex has flange focal distance of 37.8mm - less than both FD and R and just about any other mount. So in principle one could use all these mounts, like FD with an FD to Alpa adapter and the Alpa speedbooster.

yes, if I am not mistaken you are missing that there are not many x lens to Alpa mount adapters on the market and those that are are expensive
the Canon adapter offered till now still looks like the most versatile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
DanielT74 wrote:

yes, if I am not mistaken you are missing that there are not many x lens to Alpa mount adapters on the market and those that are are expensive
the Canon adapter offered till now still looks like the most versatile

I guess the problem is that there is no Canon FD speedbooster as yet and though Alpa adapters are scarce (and I have not seen one for Canon FD lenses), they may be the way to go as the closest thing to a universal adapter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, my point is that any Speed Booster is only as 'universal' as there are adapters available to fit lenses of various mounts to it, and that this means that so far the Canon EF is the most universal!
though there is hope that clever Chinese soon will offer more and cheaper adapters for Alpa mount and then you will be right and the Alpa SB adapter will be the most universal, and if you find a FD > Alpa adapter the Alpa is the only one so far that could take FD lenses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
no, my point is that any Speed Booster is only as 'universal' as there are adapters available to fit lenses of various mounts to it, and that this means that so far the Canon EF is the most universal!
though there is hope that clever Chinese soon will offer more and cheaper adapters for Alpa mount and then you will be right and the Alpa SB adapter will be the most universal, and if you find a FD > Alpa adapter the Alpa is the only one so far that could take FD lenses

OK, so can you (or anyone else) confirm that it is possible to make a FD-Alpa adapter? or is there something about the mount that makes it impossible?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the potential problem (and perhaps Brian can chime in if he reads this) that the lens side of the Alpa adapter may not have an opening large enough to accomodate many of the faster lenses; if I remember correctly, Alpa never had a super fast lens like F1.2 or F1.4, did it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list at cameraquest is very helpful. It states historically what adapters are available for what lenses and what cameras.

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptslr.htm

The ideal "universal" mount has the shortest flange distance AND the widest mount throat. However as you can see from the list there are many useful combinations even if no mount is truly "universal".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way I see it, ideal adapter would be in Leica M mount, since it has short register and there adapters to Leica M from most major SLR mounts. However M register might be too small for Speedbooster optics. My next choice would be 4/3. From FF SLRs, FD is the best choice since there are inexpensive m42 and Nikon F adapters to FD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link with very nice stunning samples
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=1236969

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD to NEX will be very tempting...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out with NEX6 + SpeedBooster + CZ 85/1.4 (like 50/1.0 on NEX) to shoot comet Pan-STARRS. Stopped down to F4 (F2.8) to get sharpness. Still performing solidly :)

Last edited by rawhead on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the purple fringe on the moon, CA? Does the lens exhibit that without the speedbooster?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
What's the purple fringe on the moon, CA? Does the lens exhibit that without the speedbooster?

The moon is severely overexposed. See where it looks like the surface of the moon when full? That's the "dark" side of the moon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent shot!