Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meridian Field Camera, Zeiss Biotessar, Kodak Polycontrast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilford even introduced a new direct positive BW paper specifically for the purposes discussed on this thread: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/producttype.asp?n=5&t=Photographic+Papers. It's marketed under Harman brand. Regarding Ilfochrome I'm not sure if it is still in production, I was using it a few years ago when it suddenly disappeared from the shelves. That said it might be a good experiment exposing it in camera, though it might be a tough job achieving a correct color balance. A good set of CC filters is required and possibly even a color meter.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resin-coated variable contrast (like my Kodak Polycontrast) is the cheapest type available.

Freestyle Photo in the US has

Arista Edu Variable contrast Resin-coated is $9.89 for 25 8x10 sheets or $33.89 for 100

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty wrote:
Ilford even introduced a new direct positive BW paper specifically for the purposes discussed on this thread: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/producttype.asp?n=5&t=Photographic+Papers. It's marketed under Harman brand.

Thank you for the link!
One thing I don't understand on the Ilford page: if the iso is 4-6 they suggest it to pinhole cameras about f/128 or something .. Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more with the Biotessar, etc. -

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do this... I have SilverGrain print devlpoper, fixer, Jobo tank, Ilford paper, 4x5 cam... hey I got everything I need! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
I think your discovery will make major increase to the interest in LF cameras. At least I feel it.

It's certainly making me consider it! Wink Thanks for those price estimates.

Are there any photo papers that are particularly easy to develop? Such as not needing as many chemicals, or using less or non-toxic chemicals?

I see no reason why coffee development wouldn't work. Google 'caffinol' and there's a flickr group for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
Are there any photo papers that are particularly easy to develop? Such as not needing as many chemicals, or using less or non-toxic chemicals?

I see no reason why coffee development wouldn't work. Google 'caffinol' and there's a flickr group for it.

I actually have been looking at the Caffenol recipes ever since this thread came up. If I were to try this myself, Caffenol would definitely be my chemistry of choice! Cool

The one thing I can't figure out though, is the fixer. If I understand things correctly, the developing process is this:
* Developer - Caffenol
* Stop bath - Extra water rinses, no chemicals used
* Fixer - ???
* Wetting agent - Water with a touch of dish soap

It seems as though most people use standard fixer from the photo supply companies... but that isn't any fun. Very Happy Some report using sodium thiosulphate sourced from pool supply stores. That sounds a lot more in tune with the DIY spirit, but I'm not sure if anyone stocks that locally...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep in the spirit of kitchen supplies, I looked long and hard for an alternative to photo fixer, but could find nothing. The pool chemical alternative was a possibilty, but uneconomical given the pool suppliers' prices near here. Eventually I just used some old Ilford powder.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad are the results if a print is run through the developer but then left as-is without fixing? I have read that the print will "fog"... is this a disastrous fogging, or one that could perhaps contribute to the "charm" of a homemade print?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I accidentally left something unfixed -it's one of those things you do once and learn from- , but it will turn black slowly but surely. Unfixed film or paper is still light sensitive and there's likely still a residue of developer on it. At first, there would be an image, but not for long.
Googling again for fixer alternatives, the nearest thing I can find to a kitchen chemical is potassium metabisulphite, commonly used to sterilise home brewing equipment. 'Camden Tablets' they're also known as here. I've never used them for this, so don't know how effective they'd be.
If you come across seawater fixer - the seawater fixer is a myth - it's been disproved by many. As I posted before on this subject, I distinctly recall reading about a PoW who dev'd and fixed his images using something locally availble. Probably tea or coffee for the dev, but perhaps urea or something for the fixer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I do know of some places that sell homebrew supplies.

Happen to have any links to a formula using the potassium metabisulphite? I did some googling, but it looked like people were either using it as an ingredient in a developer, or as an additive to standard fixer to change its properties. Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pot metabi has any fixing action at all, I'd be inclined to just make a sol and give it a go and see how long the images last under normal storage conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look, the brewing sterilizer here is sodium percarbonate, not potassium metabisulphite. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I love this thread. Such great ideas to try. Smile

I've been considering buying a LF camera and this takes me even farther along that path.

Great thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Farside wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

I actually have been looking at the Caffenol recipes ever since this thread came up. If I were to try this myself, Caffenol would definitely be my chemistry of choice! Cool

The one thing I can't figure out though, is the fixer. If I understand things correctly, the developing process is this:
* Developer - Caffenol
* Stop bath - Extra water rinses, no chemicals used
* Fixer - ???
* Wetting agent - Water with a touch of dish soap

It seems as though most people use standard fixer from the photo supply companies... but that isn't any fun. Very Happy Some report using sodium thiosulphate sourced from pool supply stores. That sounds a lot more in tune with the DIY spirit, but I'm not sure if anyone stocks that locally...

I've been doing a bit of coffee processing recently and as you probably know, Sodium carbonate is mixed with the cofee in the developer.
Sodium carbonate is itself a wetting agent so you can not worry about the addition of soap.

Jules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:

I've been considering buying a LF camera and this takes me even farther along that path.

Do it - you know you want to Twisted Evil
I don't use mine all that much, but when I do I really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
lulalake wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Do it - you know you want to Twisted Evil
I don't use mine all that much, but when I do I really enjoy it.

. i did it.

Read, "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" (If you dare . . . Shocked )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've accidentaly walked into a Biotessar lens on ebay. I got curious. A "Biotessar, what?" And that expensive? So, I launched a search and unsirprisingly fell at this discussion. Great oldstyle looking experiment! And apparently a very interesting lens, not only pleasantly thin DOF but also quite sharp in the focused areas.

Did you continue your experiments with a large format camera and photopaper?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not too much more than that.
I still have all the stuff, but have had less time to play.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you to have more free time! You propose very inspiring experiments.