Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meopta S.O. 100mm f1.4 ultra fast lens adapted for Canon 6D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Meopta S.O. 100mm f1.4 ultra fast lens adapted for Canon 6D Reply with quote

Hello!

Finally, I decided to make a detailed post about the lens Meopta S.O. 100mm f1.4. This is a very high quality lens with excellent lens coating. Optical scheme - double gauss, 6 lenses in 4 groups. Lenses are fixed with retaining rings. The lens is easily disassembled into 2 parts. The total weight with the helicoid is about 1.5 kg.

I only got a lens as a lens unit. Produced a helicoid with a M42 mount. Diameter of the back of 65mm. Rear focal distance large 63mm. Therefore, I made an additional insert in the helicoid to match the infinity.

A few years ago I had to have three such lenses. However, at that time they did not seem interesting enough and were sold after adaptation. Moreover, one of them was in extremely poor condition with damage to the lenses, and two with minor ones.

The outer diameter of the front is 82mm, so I used a 77mm multi-coated protective filter.

This copy is different from the rest - it does not have any inscriptions or symbols, and there is also a point on the inner surface of the back lens exactly in the center. Most likely used in the manufacture. Perhaps this copy is a prototype before mass production.

Circle coverage with a diameter of about 60-65mm, this makes it easy to use the lens on full-frame cameras with minimal vignetting or on medium format sensors 33x44mm. The diameter of the circle of sharpness is 35mm from edge to edge of a full frame sensor. Moreover, even at the edge, sharpness is almost not reduced. In the corners, sharpness is worse. The positive side is also a good color reproduction, the lens does not yellow. Good contrast and lack of soft effect even in bright light due to high quality lenses and coating. For large aperture 1.4 small chromatic aberrations. The disadvantage is a slightly curved plane of sharpness, which is most pronounced when shooting distant objects and infinity.

Some photos on Canon 6D and Meopta S.O. 1.4/100

I really like the unusual and interesting picture of this lens. I would be glad to hear your opinions about the lens and photos!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Very well done and quite nice results you got!
Considering that this is an X-Ray machine lens., it is surprisingly good!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wrote "Produced a helicoid with a M42 mount". Can you show us how you have done this? I am really interested in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Heavy stuff!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldMark wrote:
You wrote "Produced a helicoid with a M42 mount". Can you show us how you have done this? I am really interested in it.

To be precise, the helicoids are made by my friend at the plant on a lathe. We have been cooperating for several years. I have been using such helicoids for a very long time, I managed to completely get rid of the play of the thread, any distortions of the optical axis, and get a smooth bleed. Here are some photos, made of duralumin or stainless steel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks friends!Whoo Turtle
Later, when the street is not so cold I'll try to take good portrait photos on this Meopta S.O. 1.4/100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get that Helios? I though it was just one copy of ot

Last edited by Danrus on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danrus wrote:
Where did you get that Helios? I though it was just one copy of ot

I found it in the city of Kazan, Russia. Yes, only one prototype was made, I wrote about it in 2018. I adapted it to Canon EF using a stainless steel helicoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable and greetings from Saint P Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice conversions!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danrus wrote:
Unbelievable and greetings from Saint P Like 1 small

Thank! Greetings from Voronezh! Happy Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very nice conversions!!

Thank! Such helicoids add weight, especially from steel. But they feel high quality and reliable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I own the same lens and also own a 6d.
Maybe your friend can make me that adapter also? if so, what would be the cost? Thank you! Cant wait to try it out, ive been freelensing with it and it looks amazing.
Tried it also on my GH5 but the sensor is too small for it render the way it should

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignacio_Sottano wrote:
Excellent! I own the same lens and also own a 6d.
Maybe your friend can make me that adapter also? if so, what would be the cost? Thank you! Cant wait to try it out, ive been freelensing with it and it looks amazing.
Tried it also on my GH5 but the sensor is too small for it render the way it should

Welcome here Ignacio! Great stuff you show on your instagram site!!

This is an interesting lens - where did you find it?? Wink

An Adapter is not difficult to make, Rafcamera.com has suitable pieces for it based on M65 helicoids, which might be bought cheaply on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i am very sorry i only read this reply now klaus.
Thanks for the welcoming and for the kind words about my instagram, its very outdated, i will work on it.

I found this lens like you said: from a retired x ray technician, i met him, went to his place, sorted alot of crap and found this gem.
Im still trying to adapt it but it works pretty nice even free lensing.

I have been following this forum for quite some time but never posted anything:)
You, my friend, have great stuff!