Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70 on FF and NEX via VNEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

credits go to Gerhard who hastn't a account here at mflenses but asked if I would like to share them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Photos are amazing. One of the best projection lenses imho - one could name it Cyclop's little sister Wink . Thanks for sharing.

This statement i have heard often... so enough reason to research, if it is wrong or right...

So i decided to make some comparison shots between Carl Zeiss Biotar 1.5/75mm and the Meostigmat on the Sony A7 with VNEX System for focussing the modified lens.

The lens signature is nearly the same !!!

Differences are in infinty position... but thats no wonder, since the Meostigmat is normally only designed for 16mm Image circle and after my modification for the use on Fullframe cams.

The CZJ Biotar driven fully open at f1.5 is sharp only in center area... the Meostigmat performed nearly the same way with soft edges... Very Happy
#1 = Biotar

#2 = Meostigmat

Enough similaritis to have a look at the lens scheme...

This is the CZJ BIOTAR 1.5/75mm schematic

and this is how the lenses and group of lenses take place in the Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70mm

very similar isnt it?

a convex/plan single element, followed by a cemented group of two convex|plan|plan|concav elements and on right side of the symmetrical part followed by a cemented group of concav/concav|convex/convex elements and a convex/convex single element...

(| - (||( - - )(() - ()

So thats the reason, why the Meostigmat 1.4/70mm reminds me all the time to the BIOTAR Signature... answer is easy, they share the same lens schematic

And User "Pancolart" is right... since the Helios 40-is the russian clone of the Biotar, as far as i know.

So name the Meostigmat "poor mans Biotar" Very Happy

For those of you who are interested in more informations about the conversion for Canon EF mount (0.5m to infinity) please use google translate and visit this site (german language)...

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=16803

The price for a already converted Meostigmat for Nikon, Canon or any other DSLR would be 235 Euro incl. a complete focussing helicoid (new aid developed since 9-15-2014 !!!)

As you can see, after my modification you can use the "Biotar-Clone" on any DSLR or Evil cam !!! Same Bokeh as with CZJ Biotar 1.5/75mm... Very Happy
Very simple, because you can simply change the bayonett mount of the 52,5 mm helicoid for this Meostigmat by a 52mm reverse ring to your cam mount

There are also other modified versions for my enlarger lens System "VNEX" with a special mount for this M39 focussing enlarger lens system, showing in the next posting of User "Wolfhansen".

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:04 am; edited 12 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend i try to shot a concert of
irish elvis presley impersonator James Brown aka THE KING, who
really rock the house at the Piano in Dortmund.
Brown had his big time in 1998 with his album Gravelands,
covering rock songs from ac/dc to red hot chili peppers in elvis style.
Little bit difficult to focus, but i think the Meostigmat and the VNEX-System
did a great job.

Last edited by wolfhansen on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Enough similaritis to have a look at the lens scheme...

This is the CZJ BIOTAR 1.5/75mm schematic

and this is how the lenses and group of lenses take place in the Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70mm

very similar isnt it?

a convex/plan single element, followed by a cemented group of two convex|plan|plan|concav elements and on right side of the symmetrical part followed by a cemented group of concav/concav|convex/convex elements and a convex/convex single element...

(| - (||( - - )(() - ()

So thats the reason, why the Meostigmat 1.4/70mm reminds me all the time to the BIOTAR Signature... answer is easy, they share the same lens schematic

And User "Pancolart" is right... since the Helios 40-is the russian clone of the Biotar, as far as i know.

So name the Meostigmat "poor mans Biotar" Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

Splendid discovery! This is serious glass. I was speculating only but now it's a fact. Considering speed F1.4 and missing aperture the naming: "Cyclop's little sister (Meopta) or brother (Meostigmat)" could still make sense Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 is also a Biotar clone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images recovered.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing results! That's why I like this forum. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture recover and update from Meostigmat
concert shooting of The King.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots with my new VNEX + 70/1.4 on an A7R
I think it will be a great artistic lens for me, the lack of an iris does reduce it's usefulness in some conditions, a trade I'm willing to make for the character this lens can bring to the images.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different results using Meostigmat 1.4/70mm & NEX-C3 depending on DOF rules and post-production:

Starring Marky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my 1.4/70 on my a850 and it just made me think 'if this thing had an aperture it would be a great lens' but it doesn't and the dof on FF is too thin to be useful in 99% of situations, sadly. I have a 20-blade solid brass aperture from an old air ministry lens I mounted in a shutter, but it looks like a hell of a job to chop the Meopta lens in half and fit the aperture. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I tried my 1.4/70 on my a850 and it just made me think 'if this thing had an aperture it would be a great lens' but it doesn't and the dof on FF is too thin to be useful in 99% of situations, sadly. I have a 20-blade solid brass aperture from an old air ministry lens I mounted in a shutter, but it looks like a hell of a job to chop the Meopta lens in half and fit the aperture. Sad

Dont understand...

why shooting with a 1.4/70mm lens, if you want on the other hand use an aperture with this argument of a thin DOF...

Using an aperture on this lens means, lost of his significant signatur.

So either you are willing to train yourself in working with the Meostigmat or you better have to go for a 85/2.8 lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested in using this meostigmat on mirrorless cams like Fuji X, Canon EOS-M, Sony NEX or A7 i developed a focussing aid for the original Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70mm !!!

This works very simple:

First, the focussing aid do have a changeable mount.... a 52mm filter reverse ring to your Evil cam will give you the possibility to use this tool on nearly all mirrorless cams.

Sony NEX... and Meostigmat 1.4/70mm

Sony A7... and Meostigmat 1.4/70mm...

Olympus PEN EP-2

and would also work without further modification of the lens on each Fuji X cam, because of same near same register distance.
(but i havent a Fuji on hand)...

Here a picture showing the interchangeable mount...

Yes, you are looking right .... Shocked

After a modification of the 1.4/70mm Meopta lensbody, it will also work on a Canon EOS 5D MKII DSLR cam... !!!!
(and of course on all other EOS cams...)

But not enough with this possibilities, this new focussing aid will open some further interesting ways for the other Meostigmat lenses like Meostigmat 1.0/50mm, Meostigmat 1/70mm on mirrorless Evilcam's...

Meostigmat 1/50mm on Sony E-Mount cams (! This lens covers only APS-C format)...

Meostigmat 1/50mm on Olympus µFT cams..

Meostigmat 1/70mm on Sony E-Mount cams... (this lens also covers only APS-C frame !)

Unfortunately this 1/70mm lens cant use on µFT cams because of the very small mount... the rear lens needs to intrude some mm into the sensor chamber, but cant because of a rear-lens which is wider ... and cant intrude into the µFT mount.

If anyone is interested in the focusing aid for the line of Meostigmat lenses, contact me via Board PN or follow me over to my own board.

www.digicamclub.de

Kindly regards
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Henry, I have a similar contraption, too - the easiest focusing mount to make but works well Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a helicoid or just a sliding tube?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

As far as I understand it, it is a helicoid using metal on one side and velvet on the other. So it doesn't slide, but turn. A clever solution.
I will be able to enjoy this construction soon. I just need to decide which version I order from Henry. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

This is helicoid like and has on one side a multiple 18 track thread, and as a counterpart a selfcutting velvet, which corresponds to the threads in the alloy body.
Rotating the lens, will move/turns the lens body forward and backwars, just like a normal helicoid, as Carsten described.

Works perfect, smooth from infinity to about 0.3m... and without any tolerances.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One piece of this helicoid is on the way to our User "buggz" ...
he plans to use it with a shorten Meostigmat on his Canon 5D MKII...

Hope he will report after his unit arrives.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, I wonder how long the life cycle of the velvet will be Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Interesting idea, I wonder how long the life cycle of the velvet will be Wink

No problem after nearly 3 days of auto-rotating on a special constructed machine... and if it should be neccessary to replace the velvet in the future, its no problem to tape another stripe of the velvet on the Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70mm... Very Happy

Simply screw in the new prepaired Meostigmat and enjoy...

Here you can see the velvet counterpart of the prototype... after 3 days of rotating the Meostigmat in the focusing aid...

For me and others, this works perfect... and if it should be necessary sometimes, no problem to replace the velvet after thousends and thousends turns.... replacement can be done by yourself for some cents...

This solution for the line of Meopta Meostigmat lenses is simply clever and easy to understand.

regards
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my 1.4/70 on my a850 today. Held against the mount, it only focuses about 20cm away and I see no way to shorten the tube by much, so it's for mirrorless only. Sad

So, anyone want to buy a Meostigmat 1.4/70 new, used only once briefly, in original case?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I tried my 1.4/70 on my a850 today. Held against the mount, it only focuses about 20cm away and I see no way to shorten the tube by much, so it's for mirrorless only. Sad

Wrong statement... as you can see... if you would follow, what people posting here in this thread, you would have read that you can modify the lens to work on a Canon DSLR... and this one has a mirror-box. So its not only for mirrorless cams, only because you dont know how to modify the Meostigmat tubes.

If it fits to a Sony A850 or not depends on the hole diameter of the A-mount, because the rear lens has to intrude in the mirrorbox for some mm and this requires a minimum mount diameter of 47mm.

Sony A-Mount doesnt have this min. diameter as far as i know, so you can say... it works not on my Sony A850, but you cant say in generell, that this is only for mirrorless cams.

So you can simply say, that there are mounts, on which the Meostigmat will work and others on which it wont work.

But to say... its only for mirrorless is simply wrong

Last edited by hinnerker on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be so critical.

Okay, so it will work on an EOS, but it will not work on a Sony DSLR or DSLT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can barely wait!
I also will use the Meostigmat with the VNEX system on my FujiFilm X-E1.

hinnerker wrote:
One piece of this helicoid is on the way to our User "buggz" ...
he plans to use it with a shorten Meostigmat on his Canon 5D MKII...

Hope he will report after his unit arrives.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
No need to be so critical.

Okay, so it will work on an EOS, but it will not work on a Sony DSLR or DSLT.

I have modifed my Meopta Meostigmat 70mm/1.4 for Canon EOS with a macro teleconverter helicoid. From what I remember there should be enough room for Sony DSLR too. Have to search for the lens at home.