Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70 on FF and NEX via VNEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
Has anyone found a cover that fits the front?
I have a slip on plastic cover for my Sinar Sinaron S 180/5.6 MC that is pretty tight, so, I'm guessing there could be something similar for the Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4?

Take a 55mm "Snap in" cover...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, after receiving a 52mm reverse ring for Sony A-Mount...

Meostigmat 1.4/70mm on Sony A700...

This means, with the converted Meostigmat and the focusing aid its possible to use it on any conventional DSLR cam... by simply change to the DSLR mount you like
(Nikon D1, Pentax istDS, Canon 5D MKII)

You will get full infinity focus down to about 30cm...
And the lens looks like a "real lens" on this cams Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very clever Henry!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
very clever Henry!

Thanks Klaus...

The Nikon and Pentax were the "trouble makers" during the development. It all depends on the diameter of the DSLR mounts and the reverse rings available on the market.

Havent found usable reverse rings with a ~2mm plate for the Pentax, only 3.6mm... so this means, the conversion for Pentax requires more attention and some mm differences in register distance, compaired to Nikon to equal the differences of these rings.

I never would have thought that at the start of this new project..

But now its finished and i am happy to find a good solution for the Meostigmats...

So you can use the velvet helicoid on a EVIL cam with an original 1.4/70mm Meostigmat on SONY, FUJI, OLYMPUS/PANASONIC µFT, and whatever has a register distance at about 18 to 20mm ...

With small modifications the user can do it by hisself, the other Meostigmats like 1.3/35mm or 1/50mm can simply be modified to use them on Evil cams.

In addition if someone has a DSLR he can use the helicoid with the only fullframe covered lens, the 1.4/70mm, so he will get an Helios 40 -clone lens if he can find one for a good price on an old Meoclub 16k projector.

Thanks for your positiv comment.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work, Henry congrats!!! Do you have experience with 55mm f1.2 Meopta ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Amazing work, Henry congrats!!! Do you have experience with 55mm f1.2 Meopta ?

Hi Attila,

unfortunately not, because in germany only 1.3/35, 1/50, 1.4/70mm are the most common offered lenses.
Is this one for 16mm also or for greater format?

Do you have informations for me? Or maybe a lens... Very Happy

Thanks
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you achieve infinity on the Sony DSLR? My copy of the 1.4/70 wouldn't get anywhere near infinity and the rear element was only 5mm from the end of the tube so shortening was impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How did you achieve infinity on the Sony DSLR? My copy of the 1.4/70 wouldn't get anywhere near infinity and the rear element was only 5mm from the end of the tube so shortening was impossible.

This is a conversion... what means, you have to get the right register distance as well as the corresponding tube length and bring that to the correct diameter of the cam- mount of the cam you want to use it on.

After measuring you have to research whats going on in the lens body...

The Meostigmat 1.4/70mm is divided into 2 parts.. the front elements are in the main alloy body, and the blacked rear group of lenses is screwed into the main alloy.

So you have to separate both parts and mill them down to the necessary diameter and lenghts. If you further know, that the rear-lens diameter is 39.7mm the rest in understanding is easy.
Separate the two parts and look, whats necessary to bring the black rear lens group to fit his diameter to the diameter of the reverse ring minus 1,5mm. You can find this out by a calipher.. Very Happy

All this can be done best with a lathe... as ZoneV already said.

But you have to shorten the alloy body and the black part with the rear lenses both and not only the black rear part... and bring them together after machining with some new locking threads or simply fix both parts (front and rear) with 3 hexagonal screws in a 120 ° Angle.

This is simple because both tubes do have corresponding conical mechanical limiters... so the parts will fit and self-centering on the right position and distances to the next lens the in front of them without further needs.

If you possiby cant unscrew the black rear part by hand, take a tong as an aid for that, because sometimes it isnt easy to manage this by hand, depending on the age of the lens-Body and the state of corossion.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed info. Sadly I don't have the skills nor equipment for such work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of chilly this AM.
Never fails, get a new lens, or something, weather doesn't cooperate.
I got this one before the winds came back "online".
At least the wind wasn't blowing like yesterday.
I LOVE the velvet helicoil, works GREAT!

Canon 5DMkII and modified Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4:

sleeping bumble bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
BTW Meostigmat 1.4/70 has baffle (aperture) by default. If bottom protection removed, rear element system is 39.7mm wide! IMHO at lest F1.2 optical design.
The removing isn't easy though since one part is holding all rear elements.

No, entry pupil is still equal to 50mm... what means 70mm divided with entry pupil of 50mm (front lens diameter!)= f1.4, regardles of the rear lens diameter ! It doesnt play a rule in terms of luminosity

You can verify this if you have a look through the front lens of both types... first in original state and comparative to a converted and shortend Canon Version i did.

You will see, that the inner diameter is equal on both Meostigmats...

The modificated Meostigmat on the Canon Version is openend from original baffle diameter of 34.20mm to 37.20mm... and the entry pupil is still the same... !

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could sell one for Nikon?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti88 wrote:
Maybe you could sell one for Nikon?

Yes, of course...

PM me...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
BTW Meostigmat 1.4/70 has baffle (aperture) by default. If bottom protection removed, rear element system is 39.7mm wide! IMHO at lest F1.2 optical design.

No, entry pupil is still equal to 50mm... what means 70mm divided with entry pupil of 50mm (front lens diameter!)= f1.4, regardles of the rear lens diameter ! It doesnt play a rule in terms of luminosity

You can verify this if you have a look through the front lens of both types... first in original state and comparative to a converted and shortend Canon Version i did.

The modificated Meostigmat on the Canon Version is openend from original baffle diameter of 34.20mm to 37.20mm... and the entry pupil is still the same... !

Cheers
Henry

Thank you for explanation. But the image circle is slightly bigger if baffle removed (no vignette on Fullframe)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Cheers
Henry

Thank you for explanation. But the image circle is slightly bigger if baffle removed (no vignette on Fullframe)?

Yes, of course. Thats why i did this modification. I do use this "Biotar" - type lens on Canon 5D MKII, Sony A7 FF und other FF cams as well.

As you can see, after my modification the baffle is completely gone and also the rear lens part of the tube was machined down to a diameter, which will allow to intrude into the 52mm reverse rings, i do use for the different cams on my 52.5mm Velvet Helicoid

The reason for this new shape of lens housing is the possibility to intrude into the cam mounts, which have different diameters.

For my "velvet helicoid" with interchangeable cam mounts i did choose the smallest possible diameter.

This is the lens "intrusion" into the adapter plate...

And this shows how the 18pitch thread will work with the velvet stripes adhesives...

For those of the readers who are interested in a cheap Biotar alternativ on a FF DSLR a very usefull and cheap way to get the "Biotar" signature...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in such a "velvet" solution. How much do you charge for one with lens Henry?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I'm interested in such a "velvet" solution. How much do you charge for one with lens Henry?

A "short" Meostigmat 1.4/70mm lens including the Velvet-Helicoid with the prefered mount is priced at 235 Euro + Shipping
The advantage with such a "short" Meostigmat 1.4/70mm is the possibility to use the lens in association with an aperture adapter like this...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Objektive-Adapter-fur-Canon-EF-an-Micro-M-4-3-E-P3-E-P2-GF2-G3-Mit-Blende-DC176-/331290136809?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objetivanschl%C3%BCsse_Adapter&hash=item4d226e50e9

Therefore its necessary to prepair the velvet helicoid-tube with a 52mm to Canon EOS macro reverse ring (filterthread) instead of using a 52mm to µFT reverse ring which you would normally use on your µFT cam, Klaus.

This aperture adapter will work with the modified Meostigmat 1.4/70mm also on APS-C cams. For fullframe cams this will not work with an aperture adapter because aperture will causing heavy vignetting the exit pupil.

But for APS-C and µFT this will work fine on my NEX 7 and Olympus EP1 µFT.

On µFT cams you can use also the other Meostigmat lenses like 1.3/35mm / 1/50mm / 1/70mm after a small modification on the barrel.

If you are interested in a complete package of this other lenses, let me know via PM.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had receive the lens from Malaysia!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jailbreakdream wrote:
Hi, I had receive the lens from Malaysia!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Attila, is you!!!!! let post more on fb group!!! nice to see u.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rush trial when return from work

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my few shot with this lenses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great... whow.

Phantastic shots... !!!

regards
Henry