Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Volna-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: MC Volna-9 Reply with quote

I open this thread because nobody talks about the Volna-9, ever.
The Volna-9 is one of my best lenses. I have two copies of it, and will never sell it. It delivers an amazing image quality, and I can't understand why nobody ever talks about it:

I hope that this thread can finally start a talk about this lens, it is a lens that deserves a lot more respect than what it gets now. It costs little, it is affordable for everyone, and it's better than many macro lenses often celebrated on the photography forums.

_

Last edited by Orio on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much we talk about other Russian lenses not much,even if we exactly know them. World just not put them into the right place.This was an excellent idea to start talk about Volna-9.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, number 4 really pops Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sold mine a few weeks ago. For me it's a difficult focal length. The Volna was too slow for portraits and macro isn't my kind of photography. And in direct comparison my industar 61L/Z is sharper wide open.

Part of some boring pixelpeeping from last year, I will not do it again Very Happy :

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, none of these pictures is postworked except for sharpening. The colours and saturation are the original from the Volna-9.

Michael, I can't believe that that is the Volna-9 that I know. I am sure you had a bad copy.

_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MC Volna-9 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
... I can't understand why nobody ever talks about it...

I guess it is because it is a lens that you don't find that often.
But your pictures show that it is worth talking about! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Those are sharp. I never even heard of the Volna (thought it was a river). That comes from being a real newbie. Thank you for raising it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else compared it with the Industar:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/russcam/volnaindus.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, this is the lens:

Click here to see on Ebay

It is a 50mm f/2.8 macro lens, focusing down to 20 cm.
It has a beautiful focusing ring that is very smooth and with a very long rotation of almost 360, which allows for extremely precise focusing.
It is very sharp and with great saturation and contrast.
The only limit of this lens is the minimum aperture which is only f/16, sufficient for many tasks, but in some cases a f/22 wouldn't hurt.
Anyway considering the used price around 40-50 Euros, it is an absolute bargain. Some sellers still have it new for around Eur 90. Both my copies were new when I bought them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Someone else compared it with the Industar:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/russcam/volnaindus.html

The Industar-61L is a great lens also (manufactured by the same company), but the Volna can get 10 cm closer to the subject, which are a lot, macro-wise, and this is what really makes the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:

Orio, that sellers rating could be higher for 147 ratings.. do you have any experience with him?
Erez

No, I don't know him... I just posted that link for information purpose (about the lens).

Another meaningful observation about the Volna-9... if mounted on a x1.6 crop camera, it becomes a 80/2.8 macro - which is a respectable figure. Focusing down to 20 cm with a 80mm equivalent lens, means to be able to obtain a significant blow-up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:

For macro (which I haven't done in a long time - this is a brutal summer) I think I have 2 of the finest lenses already: the Sigma 150 and Sigma 50, I was going to write that I can't see any lens beating them, but you know what? lets see.

The Volna is so cheap that you would not lose much anyway.
But I think you wil keep it, because it will be very different from your Sigma lenses. I know Sigmas as I owned several before switching back to manual focusing. They are razor sharp lenses, but like most contemporary Japanese lenses, also quite "thin" - while the Volna is like the Zenitar or the MIRs: very dense, saturated, and with smooth bokeh.
A different world - then you will judge what will be closer to your personal taste. Judging from the kind of pictures that you make with the Helios-44, I'd say that you will love the Volna.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last flower shot is killer! Good to know about its macro capabilities.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erez

Go for it. I have found another for which I made an offer at about the same level

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erez

I have the Sigma 105, which is very sharp indeed, but I find I turn more often to the Tamron 90/2.5 or the Viv 90/2.5 which both offer a "different" feel. I love my sig (which is AF) for occasions where I want something close to macro but cannot use a tripod (such as public gardens, where they scream at you if you tread on the flower beds). Actually I think I have five specialized macro lenses and I have not begun to collect M42 lenses yet......

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Erez
Go for it. I have found another for which I made an offer at about the same level
patrickh

Patrick, make sure that you are bidding on a Volna-9 and not confused with a Volna-3 instead. I can not find another Volna-9 for normal auction on Ebay, except the one I posted, the others are all buy-it-now.

A little suggestion to both: I think it pays to buy a new copy of this lens. The price in the shops is acceptable, and you will receive a pristine lens with a smooth focusing ring that will be a pleasure to use.

I have two new copies, and they are both excellent.
I don't think in this case it's worth to risk a used purchase to save only 20-30 Euros.
if you could save 200-300 Euros it would be different Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Thanks for the advice - I checked and it is listed very clearly as a Volna 9. It was a buy-it-now looking for best offer. Based on your note I offered $60 (about 40Euro) and it was accepted. The photo of the item looks very good condition and seller has high marks. Now I wait.

patrickh