Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Volna-9 sample (again)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: MC Volna-9 sample (again) Reply with quote

I have 5 Leica lenses and I can tell you that my Volna-9 is almost as sharp as any of them, even when focusing near infinite (something which the Volna-9 was not designed for). See here a full frame 5D picture, only very slightly sharpened for compensation of the AA filter:

http://www.orio.ws/temp/volna-9.jpg

(if the browser resizes the picture, which is almost certain, click on it it should go to 100% size).

Note that the Volna induces the 5D to a moir? pattern IN FULL SHADE on the white tiles building. This means that the Volna-9 has been able to read enough detail from a dark shade area to outresolve the 5D's sensor.

_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm cheap Russian in Leica Kingdom Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note also that you can not see even a slight trace of CA, not even on the most contrasted of edges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
Hi Orio,
That is very impressive!
2 questions come to mind:
what aperture did you take this picture with?
what year was your copy of this lens made in?
Thanks,
Erez

The aperture was almost unavoidably f/8, because even at 50 ISO, the light was so strong earlier this morning that it was impossible to shoot at wider apertures.
I have two copies of Volna-9, this one was made in 1988, the other one in 1991. They perform identically. But not everyone is lucky with this lens, Michael for instance probably got a bad copy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MC Volna-9 sample (again) Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have 5 Leica lenses and I can tell you that my Volna-9 is almost as sharp as any of them, even when focusing near infinite (something which the Volna-9 was not designed for).

Volna-9 is a good lens when stopped down a bit - fully open there is rather much lens flare, see e.g. http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_volna-9.html . At f/5.6 it will be good even at infinity, at least my copy is. I have provided a link to a full-size version of this photo

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_files/v9_6740.jpg , which will give an idea of the resolution at infinity when mounted on a 5D. NB. the file is almost 5 Mbytes. The following crop will give an idea of the lens flare and veiling glare at f/5.6

Quote:
See here a full frame 5D picture, only very slightly sharpened for compensation of the AA filter:

Maybe you apply a little bit too much sharpening as there are clearly discernible sharpening halos at some roof edges. Try to reduce the sharpening until the halos are almost invisible. That ought to be enough to compensate for the AA filter -- anything more will create false detail and also worsen the clipping at highlights.

Quote:
Note that the Volna induces the 5D to a moir? pattern IN FULL SHADE on the white tiles building. This means that the Volna-9 has been able to read enough detail from a dark shade area to outresolve the 5D's sensor.

Most reasonably good 50 mm lenses will outresolve the 5D sensor at f/4 - f/11 at the frame center, and all the better ones will do so even at the edges. The Volna does quite well at the edges of my linked photo, but it isn't possible to say anything about the corner performance on the basis of that photo. However, there are very few lenses which do really well even at the FF corners. At the price, the Volna certainly is hard to beat.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the insight into this lens. Mine has just arrived and I will try it out as soon as the rain stops

patrickh