Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Soligor C/D 2.8/20
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: MC Soligor C/D 2.8/20 Reply with quote

Today I have found this little wide angle lens in a local shop for a really small fee.
Although I do not Need this lens I decited to pick it up.
The build Quality of the lens body is good, focussing is not as smooth as it could be but the feeling is OK.
This is what it looks like:

So far I have only made one dirty test shot through the window, aperture was set to F8, Iso-speed was @ 800.

some 100% crops straight out of cam:

My conclusion:

This lens is by far not as good as a Distagon but it seems to be surprisingly sharp. Not bad at all!

Timo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several members from this C/D series all was good and certainly diff from a top lens not huge in nice light and at F8, bad light can make difference , but also not match. Congrats for your new find, can you share more picture from lens itself, I never seen 20mm lens from Soligor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty sharp but the last two crops definately showing CA.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD range was the competition to Vivitar's Series 1, all the CD's I've got are good lenses. They might not be the best, but they are good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow I will post some more pictures of the lens itself.
Can someone tell me who was the manufacturer of this lens?

As far as I could find out there was also a Spiratone 2.8/20 that is similar to the Soligor.
The lens case and especially the light blue color of the font reminds me a bit of the well known Tokina 3,5/17.
Might it be that Tokina even produced this Soligor lens?

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
Tomorrow I will post some more pictures of the lens itself.
Can someone tell me who was the manufacturer of this lens?

As far as I could find out there was also a Spiratone 2.8/20 that is similar to the Soligor.
The lens case and especially the light blue color of the font reminds me a bit of the well known Tokina 3,5/17.
Might it be that Tokina even produced this Soligor lens?

Timo

Possible , Spiratone and Soligor was quality importer as I know, they did select affordable price level and good quality items , Spiratone surely wasn't maker just merchant, Soligor I am not sure about early beginning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number starting with '8' is apparently still a mystery. Most of the Soligor manufacturers have been identified by their particular first number of the serial number - except for '8'. I imagine this lens will help that gap in the knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure ? Not mix it with Vivitar ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina = Vivitar number is 37. I'll check on the big Soligor topic to see if it's updated, I keep a list in my little book of important stuff like serial numbers. It might be a bit behind.

Both of my CD lenses have numbers starting with 17 - both are Tokina's as far as the information goes, but neither of my CD lenses - a 28 / 2 and 70-210 / 3.5 - have any characteristics of this 20mm lens ( and they are all completely different to my other Soligors )
The only similar thing between my CD lenses and Timo's 20mm is the grip rubber has elongated diamonds, but on the 20 the long axis of the diamonds appear to go sideways across the lens and on mine they lengthways
The only other thing I can think of is that the '8' might be Tokina, and the next two numbers are the year. Mine would be 1974 and 1975, the 20mm would 1985 and ten years newer, a lot can change in ten years ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the lens barrel looks like:

Some shots I took with it during the rainy Weekend:

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second to last shot of the trees. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

Me too, that's a stunning image. I think that's a lens worth keeping.

A crop of the top left corner might look even better ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

Me too, that's a stunning image. I think that's a lens worth keeping.

A crop of the top left corner might look even better ?

+1 nice ones!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this lens. my dad bought it new like 20+ years ago Smile
mine serial # is about 200 after yours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, if you have the K mount of this lens... willing to sell?