Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Rokkor Macro 100mm f/3.5 - new acquisition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: MC Rokkor Macro 100mm f/3.5 - new acquisition Reply with quote

So, I just picked one of these up after wanting one for a while. It came with the original extension tube and plastic holding case at a pretty good price so I went with it. I haven't had a ton of time to mess with it but here's a couple.

Hand held at f/3.5 (not easy to do!..focus is not fantastic due to just breathing and swaying, but the bokeh is nice I think):

Hand held portrait.. ISO 6400 Very Happy Very Happy. Still, not too shabby, if not overly noisey:

Tripod with extension tube, f/3.5:

Tripod without extension tube, f/3.5 (this little elphant is about 2 inches long):

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 100 looks quite decent, so congrats, I've been tempted to get one, but I already have an excellent 100 macro in my Leica R 100/2.8 APO Macro, so I can wait, besides I think I would prefer the Voigtlander 125 APO Macro.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! An acquisition you'll never regret! The 100 Minolta macro is an excellent lens. I've had the Tokina 90 and the Kiron 105, but sold them both. Somehow the Minolta feels better and gives me a higher keeper rate than the others did, i usually shoot handheld, i'm not a tripod man.

Here are some samples on Sony A7:
The fly by René Maly, on Flickr

Armadillium vulgare by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
The cat portrait is very nice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

TrueLoveOne, those pics are outstanding!

I have a question for anyone with this lens (or anyone in general): The fit on the bayonet mount on this lens with the extension tubes seems REALLY loose and can wiggle a little bit. Is this normal? It's just the extension tube. The lens on the camera alone is normal/snug. If not, is there a way to fix this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three flat springs on the camera-side mount (behind the bajonet tabs), you could try increasing the tension on those.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

I was thinking of doing something like that (bending the little "fingers" a little more)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pictures.

Congrat. It seems to be a great lens.

The problem that I saw with the Minolta's MC lenses (improved with the MD ones) is the CA.

Did you see CA with your 100 mm lens?

I can´t see CA in yours pics, but you could fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Congratulations! I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced 100/4 macro. I think it's going to be a long wait. Neutral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Very good pictures.

Congrat. It seems to be a great lens.

The problem that I saw with the Minolta's MC lenses (improved with the MD ones) is the CA.

Did you see CA with your 100 mm lens?

I can´t see CA in yours pics, but you could fix it.

Many MCs do have significant CA. I haven't tested this one outside in bright/high contrast yet, so I'm not really sure. I will report back when I do. I always use the purple fringe correction in CaptureOne though, to some degree. One of the worse offenders I've seen is the Rokkor 70-210mm f/4. It's super sharp, but has really bad CA. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Very nice. Congratulations! I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced 100/4 macro. I think it's going to be a long wait. Neutral

Thanks! How much are you thinking to pay? I got mine for $90... A bit higher than I like to spend for an old lens but I think it was an OK deal, considering it is in great shape and came with the extension tube and original plastic holding case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they tend to sell for quite a bit more around here. I'd be very happy with 90.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens, I know it's a big and heavy old thing, and there are faster 100 Macro lenses, but who cares when they are as good and versatile as this classic Rokkor?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Love that 2nd one!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I love this lens, I know it's a big and heavy old thing, and there are faster 100 Macro lenses, but who cares when they are as good and versatile as this classic Rokkor?

Nice, nice, nice.

Which version is?

MCII, MCX or MD?

What about CA?

Thank you, Lloydy great ´pics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly which version it is, here's a picture of it.

CA ? I think it's minimal, I haven't been able to quickly find a picture that would show it - except for this one, maybe around the white edges some lenses would show it.

and I love the creamy bokeh when used wide open.

It's a lens I sometimes use as a 100mm walkabout lens because it's so good, but I usually pick something faster and lighter if I'm walking and carrying lots of lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Lloydy! I'm excited to try it some more outside when the weather improves here.

Also, FWIW, mine looks exactly like the picture above. I believe both the MC, MD (or MD-X, X just being a USA version) all look like that, and then there is a skinnier, much lighter, newer one with a less bulbous focusing ring which is f/4 instead of f/3.5. I personally like the feel of the older one. I have a lot of Rokkors, and this is one of the most hefty, solid feeling of the lot. The kind of thing that you hold and say "they don't make them like this anymore!" Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:

Found a near mint one, complete, with extension tube for €95 Wink Use it on my Sony A6000.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rokkor 100 mm f/4 macro can be found cheap. I found mine without the extension tube and then found a genuine extension tube... all for 64£ on ebay. From the tables it is much lighter in weight, the quality is outstanding, the focusing ring is bothersome (I suppose this applies to most (?) other manual macro lenses).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
The Rokkor 100 mm f/4 macro can be found cheap. I found mine without the extension tube and then found a genuine extension tube... all for 64£ on ebay. From the tables it is much lighter in weight, the quality is outstanding, the focusing ring is bothersome (I suppose this applies to most (?) other manual macro lenses).

What do you mean by the focus being bothersome? It is supposed to have a longer travel than a regular tele lens of that focal length because the focus sensitivity is very tight with a tiny depth of field at extremely short working distances that would be encountered using a macro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special. It is smooth enough but obviously as you point out, it takes a lot of turning to get from 0.45 m to infinity (over 300 degrees). The benefit is precision. I suppose all macro lenses are the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try Leica's R 100/2.8 APO with 700 degrees of rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new review of Minolta MC Rokkor 100mm 1:3.5 lens has been published on lensqaworks
The bulletproof MCII version was tested ))