Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC 3M-5CA tight focusing ring fix ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: MC 3M-5CA tight focusing ring fix ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would like to fix the focus ring of my 500mm MC 3M-5CA. It's a bit tight, and I suspect old grease being thick.

Does anyone know how to access to the focus ring helicoid in order clean it and put some fresh silicon grease ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here ! Thank you for joining us! I have this lens , but works perfect so I have no experience to dissasemble it. I guess it would be not difficult Russian lenses has great construction they are not difficult constructions and they not used glue like some idiot Japananse maker. My suggestio if not makes much trouble to you, just leave it. Dissasemble a lens always risky business I do only if no other way to keep in live.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome !

Actually I see two ways to dismantle the lens without touching (I mean not move from the barrels) optical components:

- 3 big screws on the back of the lens (M42 mount side).

- 3 tiny screws on the focus barel, hidden by the fixed barel until you focus closer. This tiny screw were paint at the same time as the focus barrel

This tiny screws seem the maid to remove initially but the fact that they are painted means that they were screwed before the focus barrels was installed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this lens at all, but I did manage to ease the thick grease problem on one Russian lens (I can't remember which, maybe the Mir-1) by removing the front lens retaining ring, which exposed the front end of the helicoid, and dribbling in a couple of drops of lighter fluid. I loosened the tight ring with a household rubber glove wrapped round the end of a wooden broom handle and then I unscrewed the remainder easily using a pencil eraser.

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To grease a lens helicoid can be dangerous !! if you can put more grease or oil there than neccessary it can be land on blades!!! and you will have nice smooth helicoid and dead aperture. So be carefull do if absolutely neccessary. Aperture assemble not an easy task at all.ANother problem in the factory maker used special grease what would be not be liquid when environment bit worm like summer time in car. Many people had dead aperture blades after "maintenance".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no aperture blade in the MTO lens Cool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes right it has fixed aperture Smile so you have no problem ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news !

As for now this lens is distributed (and still constructed ?) by Lytkarino Optical Glass Factory, also know as LZOS.

So some days ago I have asked them by e-mail how to re-grease the focus ring. And they have replied !!

Code:

Dear Flory Waiscoat,

We received your letter form 6 September and would like to inform you the
following.

Unfortunately this objective was designed many years ago and we don't have
its design in electronic format at the moment. But we will try to describe
you how to get the access to the focusing ring.

It will be required to dismount your objective as follows:
1. Please untie the objective down to the limit.
2. After that you will be able to find three small points under the scale of
the objective (they are situated under the scale digits: first - under the
infinity sign; second - between 5 and 6; third - next to 10). These 3 point
are retention (stop) screws.
3. Take the watch screw driver (used for watch repairing) and unscrew the
retention screws.
4. After that it will be possible to screw off the objective and take it
into two parts.
5. But please note that the focusing ring has triple-start thread. And after
dismounting of the objective and replacing the grease it will be required to
put these two parts exactly in initial position and to align the starts of
the thread. So you will be required to note the positions of the parts at
the moment of dismounting and then put the parts when mounting exactly in
those positions as at the moment of dismounting.
6. Then act inversely to mount the objective.

Hope our information will be useful for you and you will be able to solve
the problem with your focusing ring.
Best regards,
Elena Kitaeva

Kudos for LZOS customer support ! Very Happy

Arrow http://www.lzos.ru/en/optics_for_you/photo_camera_lenses/3m_5_ca_lens.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent support.
I wish that many Western Europe, Japan or USA richer companies had the same respect for the customers that LZOS has. They don't have it for registered customers, either -and they make you pay for support- let alone for unregistered customers.

A lesson to learn from Russians, I say.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in other thread my Nr.1 favourite sellers are Russians! Unbeliavable, they supported an such old lens!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old thread, I know, but it shows up on search engines, so I’ll add something I hope is helpful. Here’s a photo of the lens unscrewed.

The ring on the front part (at right) with the focus distance markings is not part of the barrel, it’s a thin ring that slips over it. There are three set screws that hold it in place. It has a little nub sticking back, which will run into the nub sticking forward in the rear part of the barrel (at left). This limits its rotation to one turn. To take the barrel apart you have to take out the set screws in that thin ring, so the barrel can spin inside it and screw apart all the way. A simple design but perfectly adequate.

Mine unscrewed about 6 and 1/4 turns from the infinity focus mark till the helicoid disengaged. Of course, I put masking tape on the front barrel (on the barrel, not the focus distance ring, which will move…) and marked where it disengaged.

The interior threads in my copy were painted; you can see that in the photo. The old grease was really dried out and hard. I put new grease only on the threads of the front part of the barrel, so I didn’t push a pile of grease into the interior of the lens if I used a little too much. It’s a simple lens to service and now it is pretty easy to focus. If I were to do it again I might try an even lighter grease and see if I could get that Nikon-like focus ease, which would be even better.