Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mayfair Sankor 135/3.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Mayfair Sankor 135/3.5? Reply with quote

Hello all, I couldn't resist this, it was only just over £3.00 delivered, so doesn't really count as a purchase Laughing

Has anyone had an experience with a lens like this? I'm not even sure what mount this has, but it was sold with a load of M42 stuff, so you never know, although it looks like it has no mount Shocked I also picked up a Meyer-Optik 200/4 for just over £10, that kinda counts as a purchase I guess Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dates from c1950, never used one though. Looks interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luiseallegrie can help you more I expect an average Korean made lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, looks interesting even if it might perform terribly Laughing

That's what I love about old lenses though, it's a pretty safe game when a lens costs about the same as a pint of beer Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Cheers guys, looks interesting even if it might perform terribly Laughing

That's what I love about old lenses though, it's a pretty safe game when a lens costs about the same as a pint of beer Very Happy

Yes , easy play. I think it will be not terrible. 135mm easy focal length like 50mm I never seen any crappy from any maker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that old preset under many names. It was sold as an Accura, Spiratone, Prinz, Sonnagar, etc. I don't know the maker. Its probably not a bad lens. It really is true about there being no bad 135's.

I think I have this ones 135/2.8 brother in the Accura brand. Thats a nice piece.

Its definitely Japanese made, from the 1960's, probably before 1965. It could have first appeared in the very late 1950's, who knows. Its a T-mount, but yours doesn't have its T-mount. You will have to get one.

It is not one of the early Tokinas, it doesn't have their look. I have a suspicion that its related to Sigma in some way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have seen that old preset under many names. It was sold as an Accura, Spiratone, Prinz, Sonnagar, etc. I don't know the maker. Its probably not a bad lens. It really is true about there being no bad 135's.

I think I have this ones 135/2.8 brother in the Accura brand. Thats a nice piece.

Its definitely Japanese made, from the 1960's, probably before 1965. It could have first appeared in the very late 1950's, who knows. Its a T-mount, but yours doesn't have its T-mount. You will have to get one.

It is not one of the early Tokinas, it doesn't have their look. I have a suspicion that its related to Sigma in some way.

Fantastic stuff! Thanks for all the info yet again. I have some M42 T-mounts here so I should be fine as long as the lens isn't completely trashed Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

show us the pics with this ancient beauty.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
show us the pics with this ancient beauty.

Rino.

It should be here late next week, so I'll take it out next weekend for you Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shrek, very much.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shrek
This must be the greatest co-incidence, saw one at the local flea market in almost mint condition for 5US dollar today
so i thought what the heck, even if it is crappy its still worth it Very Happy

just cleaned it , and will test tommorow if the weather is good

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Hi Shrek
This must be the greatest co-incidence, saw one at the local flea market in almost mint condition for 5US dollar today

Wow, good stuff! Surprised Yours looks a bit cleaner and less pixelated than mine Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry Shrek pixelation normally falls of in the mail Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek, you are not alone I have the same lens, T-mount. I paid about $6. This lens is worth much more. I have several Accuras and I have to agree with Luis, it is almost identical design with my Accura Supertel 2.8/135
Photo below: left Accura, right Maifair Sankor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an Helikor 135 mm and it seemed to me similar to this lens. What about helikor lens? Middle of 60's, isn't it?

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

"Helicor" is a new one to me. I bet its another merchants brand. There were 100's of these.

If the lens looks like these it is certainly from the 1960's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah woah woah!! This is one gorgeous lens Very Happy

It arrived today looking a bit worse for wear, but I stripped it down (very, very easy) and cleaned it up and I just LOVE the results! The bokeh looks lovely and creamy Smile Unfortunately it's too dark to venture outside, so the real test will be this weekend.

Only problem is the fungus at the front had taken hold and has left a light imprint over half the glass. Still seems to work OK though!!!

f3.5

Crop

f4

Crop

f5.6

Crop

f8

Crop

f3.5 again

Crop

With a bit of sharpening and some better focusing ( Laughing ) I reckon I could be onto a winner with this one! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two last tell me that PP perhaps not neccesary.

Test match at full daylight. The lens seems to request that Wink

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hi Shrek

Wow, good stuff! Surprised Yours looks a bit cleaner and less pixelated than mine Laughing

I have a Seriese 105mm/f2.5 is almost equal to this lens...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........And you can TUBE it too..... Very Happy Very Happy

I have to try all my lenses on macro...this is just a quick handhed shot so do not expect too much 135mm sankor 250th sec @ f16 and fill in with pop up

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm totally taking a tube with me this weekend when I do further tests!

I also think the lens looks spectacular on the camera!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shrek.....You won't be dissapointed i was absolutely surprised with this lens this afternoon

tried to push it towords 1:1 with total of 110mm tube and check the results
i think it is above average in my limited experience! KEEPER FOR ME! Very Happy
The seed on the leaf is just smaller than 2.5mm diam (for scale)

and from another image 100% crop as well

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Thanks Attila and Lightshow!

C&C is OK, so go ahead and blast away those HDR colors though Wink, I am actually quite curious which ones of them seems acceptable and which ones are completely out of whack.

Matter of taste only , some people hate it , some people love it . I am on lover side, HDR is an art tool I can't paint , but I can paint with HDR I like colorful unrealistic HDR, other people not they like to see as normal photograph. Somebody use photography is technical tool , makes captures perfect as possible. Somebody use it as art tool and impression is better than pixel peeping. I am on this side also, who care pixels, sharpness etc if picture is good to hang on my wall and I love it.

On #9 , #10 I miss brightness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable captures! What a sharp... I haven't heard about this lens!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the maker of these is right there in the name - Sankor

Sankor was a brand used by a manufacturer of movie/cine lenses. They made cine camera lenses, projection lenses, anamorphic adapters (like for "Cinemascope"), etc., under their own brand. And apparently 35mm camera lenses mostly under merchants brands.

Another brand these come in seems to be "Sonnagar" -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonnagar-135mm-f-3-5-Exakta-Mount-Lens_W0QQitemZ320231507833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item320231507833&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

It looks like there may be a 35/2.8 as well as the 135/2.8 and 135/3.5 we know about.

The automatic/YS mount lenses in the "Accura Diamatic" brand that Voytek and I have may be later products from this maker.