Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Masterful rangefinder portrait
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Masterful rangefinder portrait Reply with quote

I was browsing Flickr for some Leica M shot, to see how other people uses the tool.
I stumbled upon a photograph that I find masterful. Someone here reported the quote that while amateurs care about lens, professionals care about light.
Well, that quote makes sense here, although I don't think that amateur/professional categories really fit. It is just caring about the light, or, having the luck of getting a unique light.
But - I suspect that at least in this case, the lens is not secondary for the optimal result. My Summilux-R 50 does not have such gorgeous bokeh as the M version of the lens displays here.
So with regards to the merits of the photo, I would call it 70% light, 20% lens, and 10% to be shared between the composition and the beautiful model.
But let's speak frankly, without that particular light, that photo would have been only a good shot. Not a wonderful shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigreos/3752911798/in/set-72157622409511754

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Masterful rangefinder portrait Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I was browsing Flickr for some Leica M shot, to see how other people uses the tool.
I stumbled upon a photograph that I find masterful. Someone here reported the quote that while amateurs care about lens, professionals care about light.
Well, that quote makes sense here, although I don't think that amateur/professional categories really fit. It is just caring about the light, or, having the luck of getting a unique light.
But - I suspect that at least in this case, the lens is not secondary for the optimal result. My Summilux-R 50 does not have such gorgeous bokeh as the M version of the lens displays here.
So with regards to the merits of the photo, I would call it 70% light, 20% lens, and 10% to be shared between the composition and the beautiful model.
But let's speak frankly, without that particular light, that photo would have been only a good shot. Not a wonderful shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigreos/3752911798/in/set-72157622409511754

Wow! You are right, the light here is excellent, whether it came from processing or natural.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more difficult to find such model than light
this photographer have mostly gems in flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this particular case all the elements that are necessary to get a fantastic shot come together:
- good eye, good photographer
- great light
- fantastic cam and lens
- nice surroundings
- beautiful model

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

The lens and camera are the least if the assets here.
Location, light, model and pose combine with a photographer who knows how to use them.

This is the sort if work that makes novice photogs buy equiptment which is least important IMHO in this case.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the elements meshed together quite nicely in this photo. Wonder if
the model plays piano (long proximal phalanges).

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

LOL! (You could have said fingers!)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

This is the sort if work that makes novice photogs buy equiptment which is least important IMHO in this case.

Yes. I admit I did that too in the past Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

LOL! (You could have said fingers!)

Jules, your giggles are duly noted, but I wanted to be anatomically precise,
for it's that all-important first finger joint that makes all the difference in the
world. Also, I spent way too many years writing SOAP notes that had to be
signed off by MDs who didn't want to see: 'cut on first finger joint of pointer
finger right hand'. lol

Apologies, Orio, for derailing the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

She stands out..and you can taste the grain