Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manufacturer ID for Soligor preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Manufacturer ID for Soligor preset Reply with quote

This is a Soligor preset, 450mm, I believe f8, T mount. The serial number is: 86410288

Does anyone know the manufacturer of this lens?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many 8's have been recorded, I've got Mitakon written in pencil in my little black book. Having said that....it looks exactly like the 400 that I've got with a 9 serial number that is attributed to Kino / Kiron......and not dissimilar to my 300 which has a 3 serial number which we believe to be SUN.

So I guess we're non the wiser? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't think many 8's have been recorded, I've got Mitakon written in pencil in my little black book. Having said that....it looks exactly like the 400 that I've got with a 9 serial number that is attributed to Kino / Kiron......and not dissimilar to my 300 which has a 3 serial number which we believe to be SUN.

So I guess we're non the wiser? Wink

Thank you, Lloydy, for your post. I did research this for a while before I posted the OP; came up with only a giant goose egg. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Yet the lens obviously does exist. Somebody must have manufactured it . . . . quietly, I guess, and unobtrusively.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting, and rare, one! 450mm's aren't common, usually they are Hxxxx (attributed to tokina), sometimes T-xxxx (= tamron). However it's clear from the 400mm f6.3's that soligor sourced same designs from different manufacturers. The "chrome eared" soligor 400m 6.3's are most commonly 9xxxxx's, attrib kino, but also KA-xxxx. attrib kawanon. I have had both and apart from the serial they are the same.

But that doesn't move us any closer to attributing 8xxxx serials.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked at the 400, and I have no hesitation in saying that both lenses came from the same manufucturer - based on one picture and handling my lens. Which begs the question of Mitakon or Kino / Kiron?

The only differences I can see is the physical length of the lens in various places, the taper look the same, the 400 has a longer focus grip.

It's another Soligor mystery....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a mystery indeed.
I have seen many Soligors in this style and number colour. Some from Sun and I have owned Sun lenses that look the same.
Here is My Soligor 180mm lens which looks to be the same as yours Lloyd and it has a 16XXXX serial which is reputedly Tokina.
The thot plickens.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys. In the research I did, Soligor lenses with serial numbers beginning with "8" showed as being unknown as to manufacturer.

However, importantly:

Most of those sources were circa five to ten years old.

My hope in posting now is that something new might have been learned or discovered in these most recent years.

Lloydy, your lens surely does appear very similar. There are many similarities, not least of which:

The handle for the clamp.

So perhaps Kino/Kiron? Which would make this 450 a pretty good lens, no?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Thank you, guys. In the research I did, Soligor lenses with serial numbers beginning with "8" showed as being unknown as to manufacturer.

However, importantly:

Most of those sources were circa five to ten years old.

My hope in posting now is that something new might have been learned or discovered in these most recent years.

Lloydy, your lens surely does appear very similar. There are many similarities, not least of which:

The handle for the clamp.

So perhaps Kino/Kiron? Which would make this 450 a pretty good lens, no?

Try it and see how it works - always a better barometer than the reputation of the maker. Kion/Kino made some great lenses and I have a couple that are superb, but they also made some very ordinary performers - no stinkers though from my experience.
As for the tripod mount - this could have, and likely would have come from a third party manufacturer, that made tripod mounts for anyone who wanted them.
So it would be no surprise to see the same type on many brands of lens.
Your lens looks to be in good shape, and as has been pointed out 450mm is somewhat rare
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have that one, need to dig it out.
I was very unimpressed at first try, but who knows, I may have missed something.