Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual Focus wedding ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:

I don´t think a wedding is a place to "try" unless you are 100% fit for the job.

In my opinions weddings are more a matter of social skills - you are unlikely to screw up there technically if you don't do it elsewhere, but you are likely to leave the client unhappy if rich, ugly Uncle Joseph is on no picture at all while the photogenic ex of the bridegroom over whose very attendance the couple did almost break up is all over them...

MF is not really more risky than AF - its "place the focusing aid on proper spot, twist lens until aligned" rather than "place the measuring field on proper spot, half-press shutter or press AF lock", and even though the latter is a bit faster, it makes it too easy to forget AF locking and frame-and-shoot immediately - personally AF always causes me to create a fair amount of waste with misplaced focus.

Sevo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo -- you're right --

I would add this --- I don't personally like AF system -- I understand some situations when used but If I can avoid this -- I AM SO HAPPY..

Focusing with MF is not too difficult -- I had only some of them out of focus..

in other words -- I am more excited when shooting manually -- so, more self-confident as well Smile

MF is NOT RISKY -- in some cases definitely safer than AF.

tf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially in low light (which is not an uncommon situation at weddings), many AF systems will "wander" from end to end trying to catch the focus and WILL make you miss the photograph - not only because the chances that the focus is picked wrongly is high, but also because some cameras do actually NOT allow you to press the shutter at all while the AF motor is wandering back and forth.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trifox picture 42 in your wedding series is fantastic for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

44, 8 are amazing.. very well done !!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old topic, still exciting for every wedding photographer. you need a strong eye in order to focus correctly on 1.4 or more.. tried that this year. was totally exciting Very Happy Very Happy
gonna post something in a couple of days.. http://www.glamoureffekt.de

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days we only used MF. Of course SLR's had focusing aids like split prism etc. I don't recall ever getting an out of focus image in hundreds of weddings. I must have done of course but it was never an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used only MF lenses on several weddings lately. No problem really. Just need to be ahead of the situation, stop down a little, prefocus and shoot a burst of pictures just before "they" walk into the focus area and passing...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello and happy new year everybody.

I'm asking my self the same question. a very good friend of me asked me to be her "wedding photographe" and i cannot refuse.
I'm not a pro ( far from this ) and never cover a event like this.

I get two body : sony a7 and sony nex 6.
sony fe 28-70mm and many manual focus lenses : 24,35mm,50,85mm,135mm.

I'm thinking to put the sony a7 with zoom 28-70mm and the nex 6 with manual focus lenses like the 50mm or 85mm for portrait.

what did you think ? any advice are very very welcomed.

thanks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my 'Wedding Camera' for many years since late 1980's and I had no trouble with 'manual Focus' as that is all I ever had!

Rollei 2.8F Planar by pentaxpete, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember times, where you had no other choice shooting with MF glasses! Friends

I was using for it an ROLLEIFLEX SL66, an 6x6 WIESE PENTASIX 636, and a CONTAX 645 AF! NO SWEAT!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a strange read for an old medium format wedding "photographer".
The waist level finder and it's magnifier were sufficiently fast enough for me, and I did not waste much film with OOF shots.

An old pro told me to use enough flash~ following that advice sure saved me a lot of grief.

Sorry to resurrect something this old- I was actually in here looking for something else Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting a wedding with MF is a great learning exercise - especially at f1.4. Whether or not your customers want to be guinea-pigs is another question! Looks like you did great though.