Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual Focus MINOLTA results
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Manual Focus MINOLTA results Reply with quote

I have been given some Minolta manual focus cameras, the SR T100X and the X-700 with various lenses which I have been testing. Both cameras + an AF7000 were in very dirty condition having been in a loft for about 10 years.
X-700 + 35-70mm f4 MD Minolta zoom at f5.6
X-700 test 10 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
SR T100X + MC Rokkor PF 55mm f1/7 at f1.7
SR-T100 X Test 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
SR T100X + MC Tele Rokkor -QF 200mm f3.5 at f3.5
SR-T100 X Test 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
X-700 + MC W-Rokkor SG 28mm f3.5 at f8
Minolta X-700 test by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,I appreciate what you are doing and your posts.
Can I ask, what do you look for when testing a new "old" camera and lens in these images? I have used film in the past just like I do with a digital camera,sometimes with no thought to what I am actually doing.I have been on the forum a while now, and really appreciate you "older" film users and what you can do. For someone who is new to B&W film and viewing these images, would you be willing to share some insights on what you look for in doing this type of test?

For what its worth,I do like the grainy look that you have achieved,especially the texture on the first image.The lenses seem sharp enough for their age and the condition you found them in.It looks like there were no light leaks in the cameras.Lastly I may have missed the obvious but what was the film used?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Minolta Manual focus tests Reply with quote

Good Morning Mr Mo : I read your comment -- well, when I get given some Old Cameras I usually have to clean them up well -- get off all the DUST and GRIME with a damp toothbrush and on the lenses, if necessary,lens fluid and tissues. Then the light sealing foam is usually rotten as it was on these two so I have to cut strips from some foam got for 80 pence. ( I have read a lot online about replacing the rotten foam) I have LOTS of outdated films in my fridge that I must use up so I use that -- this time of year I use 400 ASA as the light is usually poor . I try to get FULL APERTURE on the lenses for some photos and if i see something worth a 'Club' type photo use whatever the aperture dictates -- stopped down somewhat as in the photo of the Texture and Shadows -- I have done a 16x12" Glossy Darkroom print of that one ready to enter into a Print Comp on 2016 when meetings start again.
The 'Grain' is the result of 1999 dated Kodak TMY 400 film. Being 'old' the grain and fog level increases but was amazingly GOOD on the 16x12" print. I used some liquid 'Promicrol' from Champion Photochemisty I was given by a Club member who was a worker there before he lost his job when the company went bust and moved out of Brentwood -- I must try to finish the bottle as it had started to go 'Brown' even though I squirt some Butane Gas from a Lighter Fuel charger into the bottle. When I have 'tested' the old cameras and i can see if the shutter speed is 'accurate' enough then I can use them for Holiday Photos and more important photos with fresher film.
For 'Forum Uploads' I scan with an old Epson 1650 flatbed that a now-deceased Camera Club member gave me
using 'Vuescan Pro' that I won free on the British 'Amateur Photographer magazine' web-site and PhotoShop 7 to adjust if necessary and downsize a bit. I scan at 1600 for negs and trannies and output as 'TIFFS' then convert to JPegs before upload -- I 'sharpen' gently with the 'unsharp mask' thingy.
I hope this all helps -- i am a 'Beginner' at this 'Digital Stuff' !!
Regards and a Snappy New Year from a Grey and wet England --- Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Peter,Thanks for a very, very informative reply Like 1 small I really hope you are on a winner with that first image....you'll have to let us know what happens, Wink We have had news reports about the very bad weather across England.A very happy new year to you and your family as well,its not that far off for me.