Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Super Deluxe
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Super Deluxe Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen a topic in this forum about the Mamiya Super Deluxe. Has anyone ever owned/used one? To my knowledge there were several versions: a f2, a f1.7, and an impressive f1.5. I've read that the f1.5 is swirly wide-open unlike the Lynx 14 or Konica s1.6 (just to name a couple of the faster fixed lens rangefinders of the era) which are more sedate.

A comment on any of them would be much appreciated. If anyone knows anything about the designs specs on the lens, I'd love to hear. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the mamiya and yashica fast lens cams.

At f/4 both are good. At f/8 the best for both. Medium contrast. Wide open, the yashica won. I don't lile the mamiya 1,5 lens wide open nor at f/2.

Perhaps the 1,7/8 yashinons, hexanons, zuiko, rokkors, are good options and in certain models, cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

What did you not like about it? Just the character?

I decided to buy the Mamiya f1.5 along with the uncommon case for $50. I think it's an easy re-sale if I don't like it, as they can reach upwards of $100.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the mamiya wide open nor at f/2. Why? Well, the contrast is lower than i have found in other 1,4/5 lenses. The sharpness isn't the same than some f/2 lenses.

I don't like the IQ.

Perhaps mine did't good copy. Your's should be a good one.

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old pic from my 1.5 . Had to grab it from my flicker account so poor quality. Does show the swirling.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Mamiya Super Deluxe rangefinder with 48mm lens. The one I have is with f1.5 lens. I think it is pretty good. I have just shot and developed first roll of film from it, Fuji C200. When I bought it, it wasn't working. One aperture blade was broken and jammed along with shutter. Had to replace the entire shutter mechanism. Someone before me might have applied too much force on the aperture ring. I was lucky to find one spare. Overall it is very nice camera with sharp lens and great colours, plus it is so easy to focus with it. It works like a charm. All my photos were focused well and all shots are usable and good. I am surprised.

This photo was taken at f2.8 approximately or less than that f2.5, I can't remember, but not more that f2.8. I didn't have courage to try it at f1.5 as I never shot with a similar cam. Will do that soon as I acquired several rolls of b&w film.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Indigo82

Nice photo!

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you visualopsins . Nice to be here too.