Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya/Sekor SX 135mm f/2.8 shooting 'Wide Open'.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Mamiya/Sekor SX 135mm f/2.8 shooting 'Wide Open'. Reply with quote

With the debate raging to multiple pages in the 'Wide Open shooters' thread....

thought I'd share my results with this lens at f/2.8. There doesn't seem to be a thread regarding this lens, although it's been referenced as a top 135mm prime in other discussions.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a "I only shoot Wide Open." guy!) Wink

The Mamiya SX line is supposedly their in-house effort, replacing the Tomioka-made AUTO line.
I came across two SX lenses for cheap from an estate sale of a staff photographer for a newspaper.
These lenses were in storage for over 30 years. They're stuck at wide open aperture, thus the good deal.
They were tossed aside awaiting service.
But I decided, WTH, let's see what they can do wide open!

So, to play devil's advocate, if you don't feel wide open shots are good photography, better hit the BACK button. Wink

I'm a fan of the 135mm focal length for Sony APS-C.
This Mamiya SX didn't disappoint. It produced some of the best wide open results according to my subjective tastes.
I understand why some state it's their favorite 135mm. FYI, it's a 5 elements in 4 groups formula.

The results were with an M42/NEX adapter that properly clears the SX lens' flange. No physical altering to the lens was done.

I was squealing like a school girl surprised with kittens when I saw them for the first time on the monitor. Very Happy

DSC03829b_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03828_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03826a_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03830a_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

My favorite result...
DSC03824_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03814_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03818_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03821_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03816_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03822_Mamiya-Sekor SX 135mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

Basically SOOC jpegs, with a few adjusted for exposure to my liking. They were all shot under exposed to deal with the bright sunlight.

Ah me like lens! Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results, obviously a very high quality lens. Nothing wrong with the photographer either Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Very nice results, obviously a very high quality lens. Nothing wrong with the photographer either Smile

Thanks Pontus! I'm just a humble photog with so much still to learn, so the compliment is much appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A famous magazine had a test of some 135 lenses (Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, etc) and the rolleinar 135/2,8 for rollei (the mamiya SX rebranded) was in the top 5.

I have a SX one. A very good lens.

Like the hexanon 3,2, two winners

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One coming my way with a very used camera attached. Seller Pic.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
A famous magazine had a test of some 135 lenses (Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, etc) and the rolleinar 135/2,8 for rollei (the mamiya SX rebranded) was in the top 5.

It was number 2 actually, Zeiss was nr 1, Leica nr 3. Yes, this is an excellent lens and one of the best bargains around. I find the build quality of the SX lenses very nice as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a bargain nowadays, build quality is pretty much as Zeiss , even though is easier to take apart than Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this one was 1850 Yen. Seller didn't name the lens in the listing, just that it was 135mm.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Can you tell me which magazine and/or if it is available anywhere online?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
papasito wrote:

There were two tests published in ColorFoto (german), one in the early 1980s and the other a few years later. Here's the summary of the first test (sorry, resolution is very low...) I've only got ta very low resolution PDF, but basically, among 43 tested lenses, the Mamya SX was among the best 135 ers, together with Nikon Nikkor Ai 135 mm f/2,8, Pentax SMC 135 mm f/2,5 and Canon FD 135 mm f/3,5 SC. Top performers : Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135 mm f/2,8 T*, Leitz Elmarit-R 135 mm f/2,8 and Minolta MD 135 mm f/2,8. Strangely, the Konica Hexanon 135 mm f/3,2 was not among the favorites (sharpness drop on the borders), even though my own sample is perfect wide open even in the corners.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
I've only got ta very low resolution PDF, but basically, among 43 tested lenses, the Mamya SX was among the best 135 ers, together with Nikon Nikkor Ai 135 mm f/2,8, Pentax SMC 135 mm f/2,5 and Canon FD 135 mm f/3,5 SC. Top performers : Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135 mm f/2,8 T*, Leitz Elmarit-R 135 mm f/2,8 and Minolta MD 135 mm f/2,8. Strangely, the Konica Hexanon 135 mm f/3,2 was not among the favorites (sharpness drop on the borders), even though my own sample is perfect wide open even in the corners.

Very strange indeed. I’ve meticulously tested my 135mm lenses and in the corners is actually where the Hexanon 135/3.2 excells. Wide open and at f/4 better corners than all my other classic 135mm lenses, including Nikkor ai 135/2.8, Elmar 135/4, Sonnar 135/3.5.
Center performance not really great wide open and at f/4, but once stopped down to f/5.6 it is pretty much perfect.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
papasito wrote:

There were two tests published in ColorFoto (german), one in the early 1980s and the other a few years later. Here's the summary of the first test (sorry, resolution is very low...) I've only got ta very low resolution PDF, but basically, among 43 tested lenses, the Mamya SX was among the best 135 ers, together with Nikon Nikkor Ai 135 mm f/2,8, Pentax SMC 135 mm f/2,5 and Canon FD 135 mm f/3,5 SC. Top performers : Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135 mm f/2,8 T*, Leitz Elmarit-R 135 mm f/2,8 and Minolta MD 135 mm f/2,8. Strangely, the Konica Hexanon 135 mm f/3,2 was not among the favorites (sharpness drop on the borders), even though my own sample is perfect wide open even in the corners.

Thx very interesting I'm tempted to go look for the worst performers Wink I had never even heard of Optigon. Perhaps for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:
I've only got ta very low resolution PDF, but basically, among 43 tested lenses, the Mamya SX was among the best 135 ers, together with Nikon Nikkor Ai 135 mm f/2,8, Pentax SMC 135 mm f/2,5 and Canon FD 135 mm f/3,5 SC. Top performers : Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135 mm f/2,8 T*, Leitz Elmarit-R 135 mm f/2,8 and Minolta MD 135 mm f/2,8. Strangely, the Konica Hexanon 135 mm f/3,2 was not among the favorites (sharpness drop on the borders), even though my own sample is perfect wide open even in the corners.

Very strange indeed. I’ve meticulously tested my 135mm lenses and in the corners is actually where the Hexanon 135/3.2 excells. Wide open and at f/4 better corners than all my other classic 135mm lenses, including Nikkor ai 135/2.8, Elmar 135/4, Sonnar 135/3.5.
Center performance not really great wide open and at f/4, but once stopped down to f/5.6 it is pretty much perfect.

That's my experience as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Thx very interesting I'm tempted to go look for the worst performers Wink I had never even heard of Optigon. Perhaps for a reason.

One might be tempted to do so. Smile

The Optigon lenses were in fact relabelled Makinon lenses. And I can assure You they are really very bad Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

One might be tempted to do so. Smile

The Optigon lenses were in fact relabelled Makinon lenses. And I can assure You they are really very bad Wink

I will control myself then. I already have a Prinzflex 200/3.3 made by Makina and even this neighbourhood cat didn't like it.

Seriously? by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hexanon 3.2/135 is razor sharp wide open in the centre on a 16mp APS-C sensor. I have a photo of a bee on a flower somewhere taken with it and you can clearly see all the little grains of pollen stuck to the be.

Conversely, I didn't think much of the Mamiya SX 2.8/135, not bad, but nothing special.

Copy variation?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hexanon 3.2/135 is razor sharp wide open in the centre on a 16mp APS-C sensor. I have a photo of a bee on a flower somewhere taken with it and you can clearly see all the little grains of pollen stuck to the be.

Conversely, I didn't think much of the Mamiya SX 2.8/135, not bad, but nothing special.

Copy variation?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First test shot. Nice smooth rendering and Bokeh. It doesn't feel super sharp to me but sharp enough (i've only shot wide open because I have yet to fix the aperture pin and also still have to file off the sx ridge)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
First test shot. Nice smooth rendering and Bokeh. It doesn't feel super sharp to me but sharp enough (i've only shot wide open because I have yet to fix the aperture pin and also still have to file off the sx ridge)

It's definitely sharp, just not too much aggressive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filed it flat for use on the K-1 and ran into the next problem. Three holes in the aperture ring that will catch on the lens locking pin effectively locking the aperture ring. Will have to fill those up without glueing the ring stuck...

you can see them in this image I stole from the photobucket :p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filled the holes up with some chewed up paper as a temporary measure
Rearviewkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr