Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

Perhaps a silly question. I am repairing ES lens but forgot something: when lens off camera (I don't own any XTL body) and aperture closed to F16, does the lens closes it itself or is it done by camera. Question is regarding the orientation of spring in rear part.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Perhaps a silly question. I am repairing ES lens but forgot something: when lens off camera (I don't own any XTL body) and aperture closed to F16, does the lens closes it itself or is it done by camera. Question is regarding the orientation of spring in rear part.

When the lens is off the camera, the aperture is always open (independent from the position of the aperture ring). It's the aperture lever controlled by the camera which actually closes the aperture to the desired value. Same principle as with the later Sekor E / EF lenses.

S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks Steve!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

I just picked up a set of these ES lenses. I bought an adapter for a Sony camera on eBay for about $70 (with no instructions), that I haven’t quite figured out yet. Have you found any option to adapt to a Sony E mount or a mount modification?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

Pedro Foto wrote:

I just picked up a set of these ES lenses.

Nice!! Those lenses are ... hmm ... pretty uncommon. I'm sure it's not only me who would enjoy to see an image of your "new" set of Sekor ES lenses!

Pedro Foto wrote:
I bought an adapter for a Sony camera on eBay for about $70 (with no instructions), that I haven’t quite figured out yet. Have you found any option to adapt to a Sony E mount or a mount modification?

I didn't know there are adapters for Mamiya Sekor ES => Sony E! Can you post a link to this adapter?

There's the well made "Fotodiox Pro" adapter (which I have and use), but that one is for the Mamiya Sekor E and Sekor EF lenses, not for Sekor ES. You can mount also the Sekor CS lenses (which are pretty nice, small and lightweight lenses), but the aperture remains wide open. I have modified my Fotodiox Mamiya E => Sony E with a simple rubber ring of suitable dimensions (diameter and thickness): It now is pushing on the aperture pin of the CS lenses, and I can use also the Sekor CS lenses at any aperture. It's a bit fussy to change lenses, but once they are in the correct position (and especially their aperture pin!) it works pretty well. One day I may open the adapter and mount a spring at the correct position though ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Pedro Foto wrote:

Nice!! Those lenses are ... hmm ... pretty uncommon. I'm sure it's not only me who would enjoy to see an image of your "new" set of Sekor ES lenses!

Pedro Foto wrote:
I bought an adapter for a Sony camera on eBay for about $70 (with no instructions), that I haven’t quite figured out yet. Have you found any option to adapt to a Sony E mount or a mount modification?

I didn't know there are adapters for Mamiya Sekor ES => Sony E! Can you post a link to this adapter?

There's the well made "Fotodiox Pro" adapter (which I have and use), but that one is for the Mamiya Sekor E and Sekor EF lenses, not for Sekor ES. You can mount also the Sekor CS lenses (which are pretty nice, small and lightweight lenses), but the aperture remains wide open. I have modified my Fotodiox Mamiya E => Sony E with a simple rubber ring of suitable dimensions (diameter and thickness): It now is pushing on the aperture pin of the CS lenses, and I can use also the Sekor CS lenses at any aperture. It's a bit fussy to change lenses, but once they are in the correct position (and especially their aperture pin!) it works pretty well. One day I may open the adapter and mount a spring at the correct position though ...

S

I also have this Fotodiox Pro adapter, it is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Pedro Foto wrote:

Pedro Foto wrote:

S

Steve,
I’ll definitely post some photos after I take it out. I just cleaned up the lenses last night. As for the adapter, here’s the link...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174108233297?hash=item2889a8ce51:g:V8EAAOSwiNNdoXga

I did read somewhere that a Fuji > NEK adapter will work on these lenses too, but I haven’t checked that out yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya/Sekor ES for Mamiya Auto XTL Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Pedro Foto wrote:

Pedro Foto wrote:

S

Steve,
I’ll definitely post some photos after I take it out. I just cleaned up the lenses last night. As for the adapter, here’s the link...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174108233297?hash=item2889a8ce51:g:V8EAAOSwiNNdoXga

I did read somewhere that a Fuji > NEK adapter will work on these lenses too, but I haven’t checked that out yet.