Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor C 110mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor C 110mm f2.8 Reply with quote

As a 645 starter kit I picked up a 110mm, 150mm 2.8 and 50mm f4 shift.

And boy are they fine creations. Not too bulky or heavy, handling as well as image quality is great.
I'd say the 50mm is the weakest of three but that's just an initial impression.

A 645 film body is something I need, obviously Very Happy
Are there more lenses in the system that stand out? The 210 looks interesting.

Here are two shots with the 110mm on a Sony a7. I'm in love!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60398074@N03/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first, nice fríend.

And a lens that seems to be a very good one.

More pics please.

And images of the lens too

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a very nice friend, and a patient model Smile

I've just received the adapter so not much time to shoot so far, but here are some more.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya Sekor C 110mm f2.8 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
As a 645 starter kit I picked up a 110mm, 150mm 2.8 and 50mm f4 shift.

And boy are they fine creations.

Yep, these are some of the finest of the Sekor C / Sekor A line-up.

blotafton wrote:
Are there more lenses in the system that stand out? The 210 looks interesting.

I have about a dozen lenses for the 645. The wideangles (the Sekor C 3,5/35mm and both versions of the Sekor C 2.8/45mm) obviously aren't useful on FF cameras - unless you adapt them with a shift adapter such as the Zörk.

On the other hand, there are a few really nice normal- and tele lenses. I wouldn't recommend the 1.9/80mm and the 2.8/80mm for adaptation on FF, since they are too heavy and have no real advantage over a good 85mm prime for FF (D)SLRs. The 4/150mm is OK, but not brilliant. The Sekor C 4/210mm is as sharp as the very best vintage 4/200mm lenses for FF, and the Sekor C 5.6/300mm is stunning - absolutely on par with celebrities such as the Canon FL 5.6/300mm Fluorite, the Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite or the rare Nikkor-Ai 4.5/300mm ED "non-IF".

There are two stunning macro lenses as well - the Sekor C 4/80mm Macro and the Sekor A 4/120mm Macro (both are very, very good on 43 MP FF, no CAs at all. Optimal apertures are f5.6 or fCool.

The Sekor C 4.5/145mm "Soft Focus" is by far the most versatile soft focus lens I own (I have the Minolta 2.8/85mm Softfocus, the Tamron 2.8/70-150mm Softfocus, and the Leitz Thambar 2.2/9cm). It has the smoothest bokeh (Minolta is second, the others have a busy bokeh - not what you want in a soft focus lens), it's incredibly variable in the soft focus effects (again, Minolta is second, the others lack behind), and its long focal length helps to isolate the subject from the background. Certainly not a beginners lens - the combined effects of "Soft focus setting", aperture setting and distance as well as illumination (backlight vs other) are difficult to predict.

The two zooms I have - the Sekor C 4.5/55-110mm and the Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm - are very good as well. Since they were made for a larger image circle than FF (or even the common "medium format" 33x44mm sensor size), their performance is very even over the entire FF sensor: compared to common vintage FF zooms they have less vignetting, less CAs, better border and corner performance, and ... more wight, larger size and less speed Wink

S

Last edited by stevemark on Wed May 11, 2022 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mamiya Sekor C 110mm f2.8 Reply with quote

It has been a while and my collection has increased with a 55mm f/2.8, 80mm f/2.8 and a Mamiya 645 Pro that came in a bundle. Unfortunately the seller was not honest and and the camera is back-focusing and sometimes jams. The 80mm has oil on the aperture blades but it works fine adapted. But just as you said the images looked good but did not stand out.

I got some really nice shots with both the 50mm and 55mm. The 55 is more compact and light.

My intention was to use the gear with film mostly.

I have not decided yet if I should continue with Mamiya or move over to Bronica.

The lenses you mentioned looks intriguing so I might keep the system for some time more.