Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor 200mm f3.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor 200mm f3.5? Reply with quote

Has anybody have any experience with this lens?
Any opinion?

I do not have any 200 yet, the Takumar 200 f4 would be the other choice readily available here, but the Mamiya is attractive for being faster.

thank you,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different versions of this.

The earliest, which is rather large and bulky and has a tripod mount, is actually a Tokina. I have the version of this sold by Sears.

I like it quite a lot, it works very well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful site to ID M42 Mamiya lenses -

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_lenses.htm

This one is the Tokina, also sold as a Vivitar, Soligor, Ricoh, Yashica (yep!) and Sears, as well as others -

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_mamiya_200_3.5_i.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have this lens in the last version (Mamiya sx design). I dont use the lens, because the sharpness is very disappointing.

Ingo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won the SX 3,5/200 on ebay last week 6€ +p&p . It doesn't have a manual/auto switch for the diaphragm , and I have to modify it to mount on my pentax Dslr. Therefore, I made no tests at this time.
Mamiya lenses are reputedly good, very good or excellent .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's a lot for all the answers

luisalegria wrote:
Useful site to ID M42 Mamiya lenses -

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_lenses.htm

This one is the Tokina, also sold as a Vivitar, Soligor, Ricoh, Yashica (yep!) and Sears, as well as others -

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_mamiya_200_3.5_i.htm

great link!
I had a look at it before but there it does not say anything about the quality of the lens nor did I find any source on the net which would.
The one in question is the model I, the one with the tripod mount shown in your second link.
Hm..should I prefer it over the Takumar 200?

Helios wrote:
I just won the SX 3,5/200 on ebay last week 6€ +p&p . It doesn't have a manual/auto switch for the diaphragm , and I have to modify it to mount on my pentax Dslr. Therefore, I made no tests at this time.
Mamiya lenses are reputedly good, very good or excellent .

Would the version I be difficult to mount on a pentax dSLR? Why? Because of the missing 'A' setting, meaning it will always stay open?
- A salesman in a shop here in Osaka had shown me the other day a K mount - M42 adapter which pushes the pin of lenses enabling the aperture to close down even if the lens does not have an 'A' setting. Otherwise it fully snugs into the mount just as the original Pentax adapter which he said would work only with Takumars. What he meant, I guess, was that the original Pentax adapter only worked for lenses with the 'A' setting. I did not get that other adapter then at it was about 45 USD!

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two copies of the smc-takumar 4/200 , one SMC and the other mono-coated . Both are excellent , I consider they are my bests 200mm with a few other (J-21, Rokkor 4,5/200 minolta, tamron) The aperture bonus (f/3,5 instead f/4 ) is neglectible. If you want a luminous 200mm , have a look on Carl-Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2,8/180 , but you will pay 2 or 3 times the price of the s-tak , for one f-stop more ... I found however a very good 200 mm for nothing , an Eyemik 3,5/200 (Mitake Optical) which is not far from my bests 200mm lenses.
With the s-taks, you buy well-known lenses , and it is an good investment.

Eyemik Mitake 3,5/200 :

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan
You can't find the information about if the lens is good or not. I can't find it too in the internet.

I can buy one that isn't one of the three described in freenet. Have things of the model I and others things of the model II, seems to be between them, but I have the same question that you have. Are they good, bad, very good, excelent???

If you find the answer, please tell me that. I will.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much that the Mamiya 200mm's are better than the Takumar 200/4's. The big advantages it has (Type I) are tripod mount, a little faster, and the weight adds stability, as its much heavier and bulkier than the Takumar, and of course the price is (or should be) much lower.

I have that lens, and I find it very sharp and useful.

I would say that if you have the opportunity to buy the Takumar 200/4, go ahead and buy it. I have been trying to get a Takumar 200 myself for the last three months.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I doubt very much that the Mamiya 200mm's are better than the Takumar 200/4's. The big advantages it has (Type I) are tripod mount, a little faster, and the weight adds stability, as its much heavier and bulkier than the Takumar, and of course the price is (or should be) much lower.

I have that lens, and I find it very sharp and useful.

I would say that if you have the opportunity to buy the Takumar 200/4, go ahead and buy it. I have been trying to get a Takumar 200 myself for the last three months.

thank's Luis for your asessment.
I let the Mamiya pass, it went for about 20 USD.
I con get the Tak 200 f4 for abt. the same price pretty much any time.

best greetings,
Andreas

( P.S.: for anybody who wanted to see more Japan photos: have shot quite a few, but not with a MF lens but with my only AF lens, they can be seen at my flickr page )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar 200 for $20 ?

They go for at least $60 and more usually $80 over here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Takumar 200 for $20 ?

They go for at least $60 and more usually $80 over here.

It's funny, some Takumars are even more expensive here than in the US, others are cheaper. Sometimes I think I should start trading..
How about, anybody wants a Tak 200 ( maybe even incl. original caps, hood and case ) for 50 USD? Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

It's funny, some Takumars are even more expensice here than in the US, others are cheaper. Sometimes I think I should start trading..
How about, anybody wants a Tak 200 ( maybe even incl. original caps, hood and case ) for 50 USD? Wink

Why not give it a go? If you're going to be there for a while, try selling some on ebay for a fixed price.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
kuuan wrote:

It's funny, some Takumars are even more expensice here than in the US, others are cheaper. Sometimes I think I should start trading..

Why not give it a go? If you're going to be there for a while, try selling some on ebay for a fixed price.

yep, just may go for it...
that is, if my friend plays along, she must do the japanese bidding

another real contender, btw. would be the S.M.C. Takumar 85mm f1.8
how much should I ask for it?

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85mm is rare, brings about 120€ on ebay europe.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
The 85mm is rare, brings about 120€ on ebay europe.

regards Peter

thank's Peter,
only 120 Euro, are you sure? That is less than I thought, hardly would not get it here for this price. And if that is so I shall get 'my' copy later in Europe as well ( not having to mess with customs )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: @Pallu Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
......I would say that if you have the opportunity to buy the Takumar 200/4, go ahead and buy it. I have been trying to get a Takumar 200 myself for the last three months.

how would you think the preset Takumar 200mm f3.5 compares to the Takumar 200mm f4?
Pallu has it, just have seen his sample shots...

Last edited by kuuan on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, crap.