Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya C220 first shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Mamiya C220 first shot Reply with quote

Here is the first scan from a shot with my newly-acquired Mamiya C220 twin-lens-reflex camera (which probably dates from 1974).

The camera seems to have been a good buy.

Here's a crop from the above, which has been shrunk significantly by flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks to be a good buy so far, Paul! Very nice sharpness, color, and decent contrast.

So for details now -- what sort of film were you using and what did you use to meter the scene with?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did push the contrast in photoshop but I don't know whether that was needed because of the scanning, the film (expired Fuji Pro 400H) or the lens. It was metered with the sunny-16 rule.

The one below, which was shot to test the parallax correction settings on the ground glass, was really awkward to scan. The scanner wanted it to be blue to start with. It needed a lot of colour correction to get the right colours (a lot of extra red and green and a bit of yellow) - film? exposure? scanner? I don't know. I guess the graininess comes from the adjustment.

Anyway, parallax correction seems to be a pretty simple matter using the lines marked on the ground glass.

Last edited by PaulC on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00tage! Looks a great camera & lens to me!

Are you enjoying it as it's hard to tell?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Yes, of course I'm enjoying it. I've run through another roll (FP4) since that one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I expect exactly this from a pro TLR.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. With due respect to my beloved Pentacon Sixes, I think this is almost certainly the best film camera I own.
(BTW, these negs have been boiled up by the local shop - some of them are complete with chemical streaks down the side. IT will be interesting to see what things look like when I put some rolls through a pro lab).

Last edited by PaulC on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, Paul! Is this the 2.8/80 lens?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right. Almost the same design as the early Leica Elmarit 90.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Yes, that's right. Almost the same design as the early Leica Elmarit 90.

Good to know, it is a very decent lens. Here's a flickr fave from a C3 and
2.8/80 lens using Provia 100F:

Dunno how tough it will be for you to get E6 processing, but when better
weather comes along I intend to try some Provia thru my C2s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started hoarding up exposed films and sending them off in batches of 15 or 20 to Peak Imaging in England. They are a leading processing company and the stuff comes back without the fingerprints and scratches that are added by the local processor, so E6 is no problem. Once I get through my rather large stock of expired Pro 400-H I intend to switch almost entirely to E6 and B&W.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, the image struck me right away as so BALANCED and beautiful. I
love the melding of the ivory colored structure and the understated
blue sky. This is really a nice photo on its own - and of course it shows
the wonderful output from that fine camera. A REALLY nice piece of
work.

You might try some Efke R25. Though I haven't used it yet myself, I've
seen some outstanding results from other photographers who have started
using it. It's so...DENSE! No grain and wonderful tonal changes.

Great job, let's see some more!

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great

Love the tonality - I had until quite recently a 220 a 330 a C3 and I think a C22?

They were great but too heavy for me, and I sold them, some to a forum member though I've never seen anything from him (or them) posted here?

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - It's still hard to tell if you like the camera. It just seems as though you are trying to wear it out.
Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought it was nice but now Shutterstock says it doesn't make things look digital enough Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those people at Shutterstock have their heads screwed on wrong. Have you tried Dreamstime? They've accepted medium format photos of mine that Shutterstock called OOF. Another photo that I've sold to a NYC book publisher for good money -- a scan of a 35mm slide -- they also called OOF. They expect way too much for twenty eight cents per sale.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's off to Dreamstime as well, and iStock (who actually have a separate queue for film), Bigstock, Fotolia, 123RF and Canstock.

The few film shots I have managed to get on Shutterstock have done better on average than my digital ones. There are plenty of questionable rejections all over the place but especially at the sites that generate most cash and can afford to be picky. Shutterstock made me almost $500 last month (and Dreamstime didn't quite manage $200) so I just keep sending stuff to both of them.

I've recently joined Zazzle and made a few sales. The great thing about that place is that you can turn pictures that wouldn't pass microscopic inspection into small items like postcards and mouse mats that will still have very, very high image quality. And in a few months, it will probably form part of a calendar of India photographs.

I've just posted this endangered frog there. It is a crop from the centre of the photo, which isn't big enough for the micros but will still print to postcard size at 300dpi (I cloned the leaf away from the leg)

PS: I'm also trying direct sales through Fine Art America, for expensive prints. No luck yet but it is early days.