Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 645 retro fit digital backs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Mamiya 645 retro fit digital backs Reply with quote

Hello All

While I am waiting for some more bits for my Novoflex I thought I would post asking if anyone has any knowledge or advice on obtaining a digital back for a Mamiya 645j film camera.

Mamiya don't make one or at the last time I contacted them they didn't.

Has anyone heard of someone making these or is there someone on the site that has done so. It seems a shame to have my old film camera sitting in a box if I could get a digital back for it. I guess it would be expensive but then again perhaps not as expensive as a new Mamiya digital camera.

I would be interested to know if this has been done or for that matter if it is possible.

Regards

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see plenty of digital backs when I plug that into ebay:
https://www.ebay.de/b/Mamiya-Digital-Back-in-Digitalkameras/31388/bn_7004834636

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand?

Isn't m645J same as standard m645, which means no back at all.

https://www.ebay.com/c/141802070

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Mamiya 645 retro fit digital backs Reply with quote

Hello

The 645j is the film camera it takes roll film. The items on the eBay page are for the Mamiya digital camera. If I had one of those I would not be looking for a digital back to go on my film camera.

I did see a company in Switzerland that is a crowd funded business that are making retro fit backs but they are still in production and not due until next March. They are called I'm Back

I did not know if there were any others making retro fit digital backs that could be fitted to the medium format cameras. Or has anyone on the site made one that works well?

Regards

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya 645 retro fit digital backs Reply with quote

photony42 wrote:

I did see a company in Switzerland that is a crowd funded business that are making retro fit backs but they are still in production and not due until next March. They are called I'm Back

It is actually an interesting idea, if one could produce a digital unit the size of the film holder one could easily connect it with the film transfer / shutter mechanism. I just fixed one a year ago.

If you remove the film door, the size could be somewhat bigger but then the form of the camera changes and it would be difficult to use a prism finder. The camera is already like a milk carton ergonomically.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Mamiya 645 retro fit digital backs Reply with quote

Hi kansalliskala

I am interested to know what it was you fixed, was it a Mamiya with a digital back or just a Mamiya film camera?

The kit they make at I'm Back seems to be a small camera that takes a picture of the image on a screen inside the camera. I would have thought it would have made a better quality image if the area behind the screen/shutter could have a sensor fitted at the same position as a film plane. From the promo stuff on I'm back the image is taken with a 16 MP camera but when you look at the finished picture it is quite grainy. Something like the sensor in a Nikon D700 would be really good but to date I have not found anything with an actual sensor in.

I agree with your comment on the ergonomics of the camera and with the I'm Back fitted it is much bigger than with a film insert in it.

Thanks for the reply
regards

Tony