Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Majorettes portraits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Majorettes portraits Reply with quote

I want to dedicate a thread to my dear majorettes - no action or group shoots, only portraits, all taken yesterday:

400D and Zeiss Contax 2.8/180 Sonnar:

400D and Leica Summicron-R 90:

5D and Zeiss Contax 2.8/180 Sonnar:

5D and Zeiss Contax 2.8/180 Sonnar:

400D and Zeiss Contax 3.5/200 Tele-Tessar:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8/180 Sonnar .... I can't say anything for a minute! I want this lens!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh! 180 Sonnar...amazing weapon! Good shots! Congratulation! This will be the next on my wishlist?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once more the medium is transcended. Cool

They should commission you Orio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! you keep the best for the end!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Majorettes portraits Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I want to dedicate a thread to my dear majorettes - no action or group shoots, only portraits, all taken yesterday:

Aie Caramba !
Amazing

ps : and very pretty girl Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
2.8/180 Sonnar .... I can't say anything for a minute! I want this lens!!

Fantastic isn't it? How it separates the subject from the background. Lots of clear details and 3D in the focused area, incredible smooth bokeh in the background.
An example that also very sharp lenses can sometimes have great bokeh.

csaba369 wrote:
Uhh! 180 Sonnar...amazing weapon! Good shots! Congratulation! This will be the next on my wishlist?

Thanks Csaba. Contrary to other Contax lenses, this one is relatively easy to find, but it's not cheap, so in case, be prepared for a big expense. An excellent alternative that costs much less is the Zeiss Jena version (Also Sonnar 2.8/180), if you buy the multicoated version and use it with a lens hood, the results will be excellent.

bob955i wrote:
Once more the medium is transcended. Cool
They should commission you Orio.

Thanks Bob Very Happy

poilu wrote:
wow! you keep the best for the end!

Nelson wrote:

Aie Caramba !
Amazing
ps : and very pretty girl Smile

Thanks poilu and Nelson. Yes she's charming. She has incredible grey eyes, I never saw eyes like these before, I'll pick the best image to make a 100% crop of them, breathtaking. Not a perfect face, but I prefer the faces with some defects because they mean more character. Like my muse, the one with the big nose, as you can see she's in two pictures here and on the welcome page of my web site as well. She's the most beautiful to my eyes but I know 99% of men will never agree with me. But every photo I make of her and I mean EVERY one, is a showstopper. She steals the gazes.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing bokeh!!!
It seems to me that it's creamier on 5D using the same lens but I can get wrong considering the change of distances.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fantastic isn't it? How it separates the subject from the background. Lots of clear details and 3D in the focused area, incredible smooth bokeh in the background.

Again THE LENS made by Carl Zeiss (Jena) , nobody else produced better lenses.

Trully fantastic I will buy one I am sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is it important to buy MM version in this case?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Amazing bokeh!!!
It seems to me that it's creamier on 5D using the same lens but I can get wrong considering the change of distances.

Well, larger frames have shallower DOF, that is for sure (see medium format for instance). This may contribute in further blurring of the BG.
However, I think that the main factor (as you have noticed) is that I am very close to the subjects in the 5D photos. This lens has a special floating element that optimizes the performance for close focusing (normally all tele lenses and especially long ones, are optimized for infinity focus). This gives these close images that extra sparkle, that makes them look like taken with a shorter focal lenght, while they're true 180mm.

Attila wrote:

Yes, this lens beats the Leica 180 in my opinion. Of course is my personal preference. I mean Leicas are also great and increadibly detailed lenses. But this Sonnar 180 gives a ... I don't know how to better define it than "organic feel" to the images, that the Leicas not always do. The skin with this Sonnar is soft and swollen, not so much with the Leicas I have. Or better said, yes, in good light, but not always. Yet, the amount of details is about the same.

Attila wrote:

At a second look, the price is not so bad as I thought.
I thought I was lucky with my buy at 300 Euros
Quote:

because a few days before, I saw a same copy sold in Italy for around 500 Euros. But at online shops around, prices are even lower than what I paid.

Attila wrote:
Is it important to buy MM version in this case?

What I know, is that the barrels are different in the AE and MM versions.
I don't know about the optics, but Zeiss (differently from Leica) does not make press conferences to announce betterments to the lenses. They just make them better and not say.
As a general advice, when given the choice, I would always buy a MM copy, because there are chances that Zeiss might have improved the performance. And especially in the case of this lens, with the floating element, this is one thing that I think is a good candidate (being a new addition to the old optical scheme) to have been improved with MM revisions.
I can not speak for AE version of this lens because I never tried one. My copy is a MM version, and as you can see, performance is impeccable. So I would go for a MM, maybe you spend little more, but you will be on a safer side.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the eyes:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
These are all so great. All the equiptment differences aside, these are really great shots. These fit into a category we should call street/portaiture. These beauties show us that you have a great skill in the timing and observation for taking these shots. Nice work I hope you feel rewarded. Cool

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add. You are very well suited for Pro work in this category. If you want you should persue it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio
These are all so great. All the equiptment differences aside, these are really great shots. These fit into a category we should call street/portaiture. These beauties show us that you have a great skill in the timing and observation for taking these shots. Nice work I hope you feel rewarded. Cool
Andy

Thanks Andy. Your compliments are always rewarding! Portaits are the genre that I love the most. Both formal and informal. I have many ideas also for formal portraits but no models. So I take my fill with these informal portraits Smile which are in fact snapshots really, as there is nothing prepared of course like one would expect from a portrait - but I think that photographers like Cartier-Bresson have brought this new concept into the arts, that portraits are not just the prepared ones, but also the impromptu ones - Bresson himself made both kind, the Matisse portraits for instance are clearly prepared, while the magical Monroe portrait in the press conference room is clearly a snapshot.
So I dare to call these portraits, too - in fact, I think that it's more the attitude of those who photograph, to define a portrait, than the actual external circumstances. During a street event, you can follow the action (like I often do), or you can follow the people. And when you choose a human subject, and follow him/her, even if he/she is not the centre of the action, you are actually doing a portrait, more than an event reportage.
These photos I show here, are part taken during an action, part taken while the subjects are doing something else, waiting, talking, thinking.
You can sometimes grab very intense moments with such snaps, like the young girl in photo #5, she is obviously far away with her mind, she looks even sad, in any case completely alien from the happy environment. I like much these contradictory moments. I always look for them.
Yes, grabbing the right moment is the key. And keeping the eyes open all around you and not only on the action. Sometimes, the most interesting details happen on the sides.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I should add. You are very well suited for Pro work in this category. If you want you should persue it.

Thanks! You are too good. Smile That would be for sure a fantastic work to do. But I should get a technical education first about photography. I don't know basic things. I ignore how to operate flash units, for instance. I am really a photographic illitterate, I am just able to do what allows me to do what I do, and nothing more. Sad
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say, before, that with snapshot portraits, you can also have the happy accidents - like the last picture, when I took it, I did not notice that the young woman has the lipstick mark on her neck, I found it out when reviewing the images. I think that is a detail that really "makes the photo". This is something that I would have never thought to create artificially, should I had to make this portrait constructed in advance with a model.
So sometimes the contribution of the case is decisive - but this is the most fun about this genre of photography: when you come home after a day like this, viewing the photos is a thrill, because you never really know what will come out! Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote: when you come home after a day like this, viewing the photos is a thrill, because you never really know what will come out!

The thrill is mine, Orio.

For once, I am speechless - just..........magnificent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Orio wrote: when you come home after a day like this, viewing the photos is a thrill, because you never really know what will come out!
The thrill is mine, Orio.
For once, I am speechless - just..........magnificent.

Thanks Laurence, I am happy that you like them Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
A snapshot is a quick unknowing product of a point and shoot taken on a daytrip. What you are doing is street photography and it's in the greatest tradition of unposed portraiture. I have long believed that many of the greatest pictures out there are of people going about their business and not realizing / caring that a picture is being taken. You can see in your shots that a) you understand what they are doing, you are a participant in the show and b) you care very much about what they and you are doing. Pictures with such life in them are not easy to come by, they require the ingredients above. While you may not want to be a Pro, you have the skills and talent to draw people / viewers into your world and that's what it's all about. Bravo maestro.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Patrick.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots.

The sonnar seems superb in your hands but I also like the Tele-tessar's performance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Superb shots.
The sonnar seems superb in your hands but I also like the Tele-tessar's performance.

Thanks Richard. I opened a thread on the Tele-Tessar in the Lenses forum:

http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-tele-tessar-3-5-200-t5319.html#43372

-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Majorettes portraits Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

hi

is it the same lens as yours ?
http://cgi.ebay.de/Sonnar-T-180mm-F2-8-ZEISS-CONTAX-GERMANY-TOP-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ290204305590QQihZ019QQcategoryZ21965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I should get a technical education first about photography. I don't know basic things. I ignore how to operate flash units, for instance. I am really a photographic illitterate, I am just able to do what allows me to do what I do, and nothing more.

Why bog yourself down with unnecessary technicalities - your work speaks for itself. With results like what you post, you don't need to know any more.

It won't make you 'better' - probably the reverse if anything....

You may not see yourself as "pro" but your work most certainly is.

And that's a fact.