Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro photography with a zoom plus a close-up lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gerald,I am going to take some shots with Century +Canon and will post asap.I was going to buy the Marumi +10 but seeing as I have +9 with my combo doesn't make much sense. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting technique that may not be known by everybody is the use a photographic lens as a close-up lens. A 50mm lens, for example, is actually a pretty good close-up lens of 20 diopters. A 28mm lens has power of 35.7 diopters, and so on. Those lenses are optically highly corrected and, best of all, available for free if the photographer already won them.

When a photographic lens is used as a close-up lens, it should be mounted inverted for best results. Furthermore, it should work wide open to minimize vignetting. Even so, some vignetting may occur, especially for FF.

A reverser ring can be used to couple the close-up lens with the camera lens, but an improvised setup may be mounted with adhesive tape.

The photo below shows a Pentacon 50mm F1.8 working as a close-up lens for a SMC Takumar 135mm F2.5:

The setup above was used to shoot a bean. The magnification can be found by simply taking the ratio of the focal lengths:
magnification = 135/50 = 2.7x

The depth of field was so thin that even using a F22 aperture only part of the bean was in focus. In such cases the ideal would be to use a technique known as focus stacking.

Bean - full image:

Bean - 100% crop:

The photo below of grain sugar was made with a 28mm lens working as a close-up lens for a SMC Takumar 135mm F2.5. The magnification is now 135/28 = 4.8x. Note that the size of most sugar crystals is between 0.1 and 0.5mm.

Sugar crystals - full image:

Sugar crystals - 100% crop:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 52B @f8 and century apo +7 and canon 500D(+2) total +9 diopter.

2nd set. Pentax M 28mm f2.8 plus above Diopters = +9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ones Gerald, I am familiar with this set up and also as I only shoot macro flora have something like 40+ macro lenses plus 14 EL lenses and Tubes,bellows and a fully auto stacker.The previous pics were quick and dirty just to see how diopters worked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I only shoot macro flora have something like 40+ macro lenses plus 14 EL lenses and Tubes,bellows and a fully auto stacker.

Wow! I'm very impressed. No doubt you take macro photography very seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do indeed and even though I am now retired i still manage to sell my work to interior designers and Corporate clients.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 .... Tamron Adaptall SP 35-80mm (01A) and 3.3 diopter Sony VCL-M3358 AC close-up
The dragonfly is at 75% of its original image size.

Earlier on, it had landed on my shoulder. So it was quite used to me by the time this picture was taken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Norland,I must try with my O1A,great shot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Wow Norland,I must try with my O1A,great shot.
Thanks!
Most people seem to regard the 90mm 52B or 52BB as the best of the easily available manual-focus Tamrons for macro
... but although I have a 52BB, I prefer using the 01A.
For me, the 52BB only comes third -- it's also less likeable than the 17A (35-70mm).
Now have a few achromatic add-on lenses, but if I could only keep two it is the Sigma 1.6 and Sony 3.3 that I would choose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norland..do you mean these two?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Norland..do you mean these two?

Yes ... the
Sony AC Close-Up Lens VCL-M3358 (+3.3) and the Sigma Achromatic Macro Lens (+1.6)
mine are both 58mm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so but no harm in checking before I attempt to buy these,will let you know.Regards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norland wrote:
Sony A57 .... Tamron Adaptall SP 35-80mm (01A) and 3.3 diopter Sony VCL-M3358 AC close-up
The dragonfly is at 75% of its original image size.

Earlier on, it had landed on my shoulder. So it was quite used to me by the time this picture was taken.

Great picture!
You are proving to be a very capable photographer of insects. It is not easy to photograph live insects with a hand held camera. Just a displacement of a few millimeters and you lose the focus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 ... Tamron SP 35-80mm (01A) plus Leitz Elpro 3 (+1.66)

Sony A57 ... Sony 18-135mm (SAM 18135) plus Minolta Autopak 8 (said to be +2.5 but seems more like +3)

Sony A57 ... Tamron SP 35-80mm (01A) plus ... on the left, Leitz Elpro 3 (+1.66) ... on the right, Sony VCL-M3358 (+3.3)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norland wrote:
Sony A57 ... Tamron SP 35-80mm (01A) plus Leitz Elpro 3 (+1.66)

Sony A57 ... Sony 18-135mm (SAM 18135) plus Minolta Autopak 8 (said to be +2.5 but seems more like +3)

Sony A57 ... Tamron SP 35-80mm (01A) plus ... on the left, Leitz Elpro 3 (+1.66) ... on the right, Sony VCL-M3358 (+3.3)

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gerald.
This one was a surprise -- the Leitz Elpro 3 (+1.66) combined with a Prinz Galaxy 135mm f3.5 pre-set lens.
Better than expected; but a spell of sunshine did allow the lens to be closed down to between f11 and f16.
Image is cropped and reduced to half-size.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 ... Sony 75-300 (SAL75300) at 100mm ... with "Novoflex Video Macro Lens" added, which as far as I know is +3.3 diopter.
Lens has to be used with auto-focus off, since it tries to focus on the leaf rather than the insect (in this case, a hawthorn shield bug).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Norland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norland wrote:
Sony A57 ... Sony 75-300 (SAL75300) at 100mm ... with "Novoflex Video Macro Lens" added, which as far as I know is +3.3 diopter.
Lens has to be used with auto-focus off, since it tries to focus on the leaf rather than the insect (in this case, a hawthorn shield bug).

Norland, you have really mastered the use of close-up lenses! Every picture you post is a little better than the previous one. The composition is interesting, the overall sharpness is excellent and the focus is spot on. The only suggestion I could make is to use a flash diffuser to eliminate shadows and specular reflections.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
The only suggestion I could make is to use a flash diffuser to eliminate shadows and specular reflections.

There was no flash (though reflections are so bright I had to check EXIF to be certain) -- that's just sunlight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. The shadow of the insect indicates that the light source was punctual, but was very off-axis, ie, it was the sun, not the flash, responsible for the shadows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received an Elpro VIIb which I bought on eBay for a very reasonable price. Very Happy
I'm not a Leica collector; actually I do not collect any brand. My interest in the Elpro VIIb is that it is an achromatic close-up lens of only +0.75 diopters. Atlhoug Elpros are very common on eBay, close-up lenses with less than +1 diopter are relatively rare. The most common close-up lenses are those between +2 and +4 diopters.

The Elpro VIIb will be useful to reduce the minimum focus distance of 135mm lenses from 1.5m to about 70cm. The thread of Elpro VIIb is the not so common series VII, but as I also bought a 55-54mm step-down adapter ring, the Elpro VIIb may be used with my other lenses, including the APO Sigma 400mm F5.6. Leica also made the Elpro 4, which has the same optic of the VIIb, but with thread of 55mm. Elpro 4 is considerably more expensive than the VIIb. Sad

Speaking of price of achromatic close-up lenses, Leica sells the Elpro-S for the APO-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 ASPH CS, the "ultimate telephoto" (Leica's words) for the Leica-S system. The Elmar-S 180mm alone can focus down to 1.5m. With the help of the Elpro-S, the minimum focus distance is reduced to 1.1m. This relativey small reduction in MFD of 0.4m costs $1250, which is the price of Elpro-S at BHPhotoVideo. The Leica APO-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 ASPH CS costs $8495.00, so I am sure Leica thinks the Elpro-S is a bargain. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 this time using a Minolta AF 35-105mm in manual mode and fitted with a Minolta "close-up lens No.1" (+2 diopter)

The spider ignored the flying ant.
So it went away and (inset, below) looked at another spider, close up.
And then came back to the first one....

No flying ants got eaten in the making of this sequence -- or afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 ... Minolta AF 35-105mm in manual mode ... AL-4 close-up lens (+4 diopter) by LZOS / KMZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pictures of spiders, especially the first. A little scary, it is true, but it seems that the flying ant was not too worried:
- Do not mess with me. I am a very bad ant! Very Happy