Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro Kilar lenses (40mm, 90mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Macro Kilar lenses (40mm, 90mm) Reply with quote

Guys! I wonder someone still has one or both of those lenses and uses on a regular basis, ha? Both look wacky enough to catch my interest, 40mm AFAIK seems to be more affordable and 90mm double circle bokeh just rocks. (As you may know, threads with pics are mainly broken here.)

As I just sold my ordinary boring Tair-3 PhS Very Happy I bidded on one at eBay but for rather funny offer and except to be rejected. I don't think it should be an investment more than €50 (40mm) or €70-100 (90mm).

Never heard of anyone in my country to have/use one but seems to be not that rare on eBay.

Anyone to say something? Anybody to sell? Smile Looks like a decent piece of history, lightweight, lovely and macro is always useful for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two different 40mm lenses the 3.5 and the 2.8. the 3.5 is actually a good lens, macro 1:2 and sharp for both macro and non macro shots but nothing special in the bokeh that I can notice.

the 2.8 on the other hand works well for macro but its not great for non macro work seems to lose it's sharpness and contrast but from what I can tell the bokeh is very different, I can't compare it to the 90mm as I don't have it but it does have very accentuated soap bubbles on the OOF highlights, I was just doing some basic comparisons with all my lenses and even compared it to the trioplan 50mm and they are more prominent on the Kilfitt.

not bad for a 40mm, I would love if someone could show some comparison shots of it compared to the 90mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 40/2.8 1:1 version and a 90/2.8. Both in well-used condition which might be the reason that I found both no where near as good as any 80s era macro's. I first bought the 40/2.8 because I collected 40mm lenses. I still have them because of their mechanical curiosities and bokeh.

Good luck but I doubt you will ever get these lenses at those price on eBay. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tao wrote:
Good luck but I doubt you will ever get these lenses at those price on eBay. Cool

Yeah, yeah.

Even a flooded one (and also probably with fungus) seems to be an easy deal to sell. Weirdos collecting guys are on the rise, I guess. Even in version I want the least (I'd like either 90mm or 40mm f/2.8 )

Looks fun, but not adequately fun for its money, I think. Any chance to grab one at MFLenses? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful with fungus on these, I had a bit on the inside and it took some of the coating off, I've also read the same from others. seems to have a soft coating and the back element protrudes out so many have scratched rear elements.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek. I am sure you can take amazing photos with any lens. Might be you can try some Sigma lens with System Focusing http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-ys-system-focusing-135mm-f-2-8-bokeh-defocus-control-t53310.html .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being curious, what will happen, I offered €100 for 40mm f/2.8 version and the reply was €129. Seems still pretty damn high to me, but maybe only to me as it is such a great piece of macro history Very Happy !

Layercake, Tao, as you own the very same piece, do you think drawing and bokeh (and general scarcity) is worth of €129 or, lets say, €110-120 I might talk out with the seller? Any samples of yours?

EDIT - according Flickr, only 90mm seems to have a badass bokeh, or am I wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems the double radii bokeh in the 90mm comes from the lens scheme:

http://forum.mflenses.com/which-version-of-alpa-makro-kilar-f2-8-90mm-is-this-t68636.html

but the 40mm still gives very pronounced soap bubbles, and yes a lot of lenses can give this if "framed" correctly but I still feel this lens has more pronounced soapies than most.

that being said I will take some pictures over the next week to contribute but considering its only OK for what it was designed for and not great at infinity, unless you get it cheap its probably best left for collectors at higher prices.

I would still like to see what it could do in the right hands though, at €120 you could always sell it off for probably a bit of profit depending on shipping as they don't normally sell cheap.

what Calvin is talking about is quite an interesting bunch of lenses, I have the 200mm and even though they are a bit soft they are pretty cool because of the OOF rendering control and they're cheap, this for me is always a good combination;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the Samyang 50mm F1.4 also have double halo bokeh at wide open. I have also see someone attached a filter or something in front of a lens to produce a similar effect.
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/890-samyang50T15eosff?start=1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't worth the price as a tool. Most lenses in this forum don't. Wink However in this market you can always sell them. There are strong demand for all Makro Kilar, especially the 90mm.

Yes only the 90 has donut specular highlights.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tao wrote:
No it doesn't worth the price as a tool. Most lenses in this forum don't. Wink However in this market you can always sell them. There are strong demand for all Makro Kilar, especially the 90mm.

Yes only the 90 has donut specular highlights.

It seems your lens could use a good clean. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. No wonder I've lost the item when being at work between negotiating the prize (that was "solid" but not "good enough" and now I cry Very Happy)

Will keep an eye on that items anyway

Don't *need* exactly anything concrete, y'know, world is full of weird lens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
BTW, the Samyang 50mm F1.4 also have double halo bokeh at wide open. I have also see someone attached a filter or something in front of a lens to produce a similar effect.
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/890-samyang50T15eosff?start=1

..."the real weakness"... Question Exclamation Question
The one who made this review sure would not like many of the lenses appreciated here.
It seems to me an interesting addition this bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bid a few times on the more famous ones, never won, but I did pickup one of the early ones 3 or 4 years ago:

DSC03276 by unoh7, Kilar 90/3.5

It came with a nice bellows and reflex housing.

DSC04598 by unoh7, on Flickr

It's 2 pieces, LTM and the tube has a helicoid, and can be used for macro with any LTM.

DSC04713-1 by unoh7, on Flickr

Grace Kelly likes it Smile

kilfitt 90 crop by unoh7, on Flickr

pretty sharp old lens really, here on the Nex-5:

DSC04624-1 by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics, from the Kilfit 40mm 2.8

Jpeg no adjustments at all

This was just to show the circular highlights of the lens, again it isnt particularly sharp and the contrast isn't great either, but I do like this lens;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the price is right, I'd sell my 90mm Wink

And Grace Kelly uses a f3.5/150mm Kilar, not a 90mm Macro Kilar - admittedly similar looking, a bit at least Wink

And she should have, as they wanted to shoot something substantially enlarged in Hitchcock's "Rear Window"...

James Stewart however preferred the 400m version...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a time machine to go back in time to buy the 90mm lens. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, they are still availble now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice debate.

I rethought my opinion though, not even much watching Makro Kilars any more.

Neither of those lenses are worthy its money (average auctioned prize) at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Nice debate.

I rethought my opinion though, not even much watching Makro Kilars any more.

Neither of those lenses are worthy its money (average auctioned prize) at all.

"Grapes that hang too high MUST be sour", famous German word Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give a link to such a double halo filters?

calvin83 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 4cm one $200 Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Near the front element of 4cm f3.5 and also already known for 4cm f2.8.

Interesting information - I wouldn't have suspected the Macro Kilars to be radioactive since my sample doesn't show any trace of yellowing.

Thanks for sharing.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, rather hefty! I have that and the 90mm one, but packed away - luckily enough!