Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro Kilar lenses (40mm, 90mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the 40mm version

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

this is the 40mm version

Nice one! I had this lens as well, and it seemed to be quite a solid performer for its age.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their early 90mms had a biradial ,early "aspheric", element, hence the concentric circles. Not sure whether the later ones had the same.

p.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

``410 page `` error shows up when i´m trying to upload more pic[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure how to qualify the bokeh(i haven´t compared directly to different macro lenses), but i really like the multiblades in macro lenses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
Their early 90mms had a biradial ,early "aspheric", element, hence the concentric circles. Not sure whether the later ones had the same.

p.

i would like to get the 9cm version also, but for a right price lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Nice one! I had this lens as well, and it seemed to be quite a solid performer for its age.

thanks, i don´t think i would get rid of it(very soon) , as i find the bokeh quite interesting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilar Kilfitt 40/2,8 on Sony A7R, open aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:

Very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hot enough that eBay won't send it through their international shipping program. I've had one I sold to someone in Europe that got flagged and returned to me. Funnily enough, the regular postal services have no problem carrying it.

stevemark wrote:
Blazer0ne wrote:
Near the front element of 4cm f3.5 and also already known for 4cm f2.8.

Interesting information - I wouldn't have suspected the Macro Kilars to be radioactive since my sample doesn't show any trace of yellowing.

Thanks for sharing.

S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
It's hot enough that eBay won't send it through their international shipping program. I've had one I sold to someone in Europe that got flagged and returned to me. Funnily enough, the regular postal services have no problem carrying it.

stevemark wrote:
Blazer0ne wrote:

Interesting information - I wouldn't have suspected the Macro Kilars to be radioactive since my sample doesn't show any trace of yellowing.

Thanks for sharing.

S

Wow, so what would be the best way to store this lens , as mine came without front cap and the lens can't fit any filter on it (except the clamps filters)?
Anyway, I wonder how/who took the decision not to send the lens over to Europe? If eBay, how could they decide such a thing (or UPS etc? Do they have any kind of procedure to check radiation on lenses ?
This lens it's not precisely sharp wide open like many others I would say, but I like the way it's blurring and the round bokeh circles even if you have to stop down the lens, precisely what other much better macro lenses don't do in the same way .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:

I would like to see couple more pictures taken wide open with your lens, as I'm not sure why , on your image I do see the bokeh balls more cat eye shaped(I might be wrong ) , in my pictures , most of the time these balls are rounde ,wide open on the corners are not perfect but not that much cat eye shaped neither

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As late by as to don't sleep snuggled up with your lens or swallow the elements, you're perfectly safe. The inverse square law means that even sitting out on your shelf, the radiation dose it gives you will be virtually no existsant.

eBay was using their own planes to ship items through their International program, and presumably they use radiation detectors on packages while loading. They'd flag Takumars, too, so the Kilar doesn't necessarily emit more than other commonly traded lenses. I'm guessing they simply refuse to carry anything with -any- detectable level of emissions simply to avoid any potential liability.

kiddo wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

stevemark wrote:
Blazer0ne wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

S

Wow, so what would be the best way to store this lens , as mine came without front cap and the lens can't fit any filter on it (except the clamps filters)?
Anyway, I wonder how/who took the decision not to send the lens over to Europe? If eBay, how could they decide such a thing (or UPS etc? Do they have any kind of procedure to check radiation on lenses ?
This lens it's not precisely sharp wide open like many others I would say, but I like the way it's blurring and the round bokeh circles even if you have to stop down the lens, precisely what other much better macro lenses don't do in the same way .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
As long as you don't sleep snuggled up with your lens or swallow the elements, you're perfectly safe. The inverse square law means that even sitting out on your shelf, the radiation dose it gives you will be virtually no existsant.

eBay was using their own planes to ship items through their International program, and presumably they use radiation detectors on packages while loading. They'd flag Takumars, too, so the Kilar doesn't necessarily emit more than other commonly traded lenses. I'm guessing they simply refuse to carry anything with -any- detectable level of emissions simply to avoid any potential liability.

kiddo wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

stevemark wrote:
Blazer0ne wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some interesting bokeh of my Macro Zoomar 50-125mm f/4.0 at 75mm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the early 90mm kilars had an aspheric element (in practice, a bi-radial one) which at times can give a peuliar ring in out of focus areas. After dr.Backs Zoomar entered partnership with Kilfitt I am not sure whether the biradial element persisted (my copy does not look like it has one)

And for those who apprecaite mechanical details, at least the made-in-Liechtenstein 40mms had part of the rear element retaning ring cut off at an angle so as not to interfere with the mirror-

p.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open , this 40mm seems to be pretty soft and smooth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that 90mm one with that special lens - and it shows..

sometimes even a "bit too much"...

but also a nice lens...carefully used

Full Album is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157647908667188/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice series on your flickr, i think both lenses have in common is the way they render oof and colours (except double ring in bokeh and difference in FL of course), they are pretty different to some younger macro lenses starting with tomioka and all others.