Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

machinists for custom parts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: machinists for custom parts? Reply with quote

I know this is DIY subforum, not sure where to post, but does anyone know machinists capable of making fine pitch threaded attachments?

I'd prefer US based but if anyone know internationally as well, tips are appreciated. Ive tried contacting companies and they usually do not do 1 off parts, any recommended places that can take on a small project for about less than 250 max.

Thanks!
david

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK Grimes is the only one I know. Never had any work from them but ordered parts
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/

In the UK, sorry. But these guys do requests for made to measure parts. I needed a Pentacon 6 lens adapting to Canon EF a few years ago, I emailed them and they said send us the lens. Off it went and about 10 days later it came back with a superb mount which looked part of the lens. Only asked for £75, which I thought was very reasonable considering the job they did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the US, small independent machine shops are pretty much a thing of the past, but they're still around. It might take some digging, but you might be able to find someone even local to you who might be willing to give it a go.

I have a metal lathe, which has thread cutting capabilities, and a milling machine, but they're not set up right now. No room for them. Otherwise, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old timers know where the old High School Metal Shop equipment went. For example my Dad had a small metal lathe & a small mill in our garage under my bedroom. With all the attachments, heads, vises, mill heads.... All that belonged to the shop teacher across the street. Wink He was a gunsmith & collector, did quite a lot of antique & rare restoral, etc..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys.

I ended up mailing it today to the recommended place skgrimes...and am eagerly awaiting to see what they can do.

I've never had a custom part made for a lens, and i'm super happy if this works, because its a shame for a good lens to sit in my closet when I've been dying to use it.

especially a lens from 1937!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Adriano lolli in central italy

he is old and competent, makes many adapters and custom machine parts.

Highly regarded in my country, his secretary is gentle, possibly speaking english

Website is http://www.adrianololli.com

had a good phone call with hime from which I gathered he is an old school technician who doesn't push his products

samples of his work

http://www.adrianololli.com/listino.asp?CAT=FOT&SUB=I