Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Machined AI conversions - anyone had any issues?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Machined AI conversions - anyone had any issues? Reply with quote

So far I've only bought ring-replaced AI'd Nikkors, but I've just spotted a 105 2.5 that's been machined at some time in the past. Has anyone had any issues with home machined conversions?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do them myself, and I show other people how to do it on my website. You don't want a hack job that was done with a hammer and chisel, but it's a pretty simple job and anyone who's careful and understands how the thing works can do it.

Practically all of my Nikkors are converted AI lenses (all done by myself, with varying tools depending on when they were done). They're obviously all fine or I wouldn't keep doing it.

Of course, it's possible to do it wrong. You can easily check the accuracy of an AI job by fitting the lens to an AI camera: at full aperture, the ridge should just reach the tab on the AI ring but not move it. The milling has to be deep enough so that the AI tab does not interfere with the aperture ring as it will on some non-converted, pre-AI lenses, and there has to be enough metal bearing against the tab so that it won't slip past the tab. If the milling looks rough or careless, it may suggest that the lens was not handled carefully during the work, in which case I'd avoid the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... a lot easier too, and it was cheaper back when you could still get them: I bought a 50/2.0 AI kit from Nikon for $5.20!

but all the others I had to do the hard way....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info folks.