Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42-to-PK adapter with inner flange for auto-pin lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: M42-to-PK adapter with inner flange for auto-pin lens Reply with quote

I have ordered a batch of M42 lens -to-PK camera adapter with inner flange for auto-pin.

These are now available.

Price is EUR13.5 / USD17 including registered airmail.

Note ... it appears that there is some variation between M42 lenses.

I have tested this adapter with many lenses, and most lenses (including my Carl Zeiss Jena 20/2.8, 35/2.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5, Pentacon 50/1.8, 135/2.8, Tak 50/1.4, ...) will be able to go from full open to f22 or even smaller aperture.
However, some lenses can only go up to f11 and one only went to f8. Note sure if those lenses were having a faulty/sticky aperture auto-pin.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!! PM sent!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Alex. I'll get one of those, for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!, I want one!!

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in line for one, PM sent. What a fantastic idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: M42-to-PK adapter with inner flange for auto-pin lens Reply with quote

PM sent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very stupid question: does it work on Nikon F mount? I heard PK mount and F mounts are very similar, and someone also tried to fit a Nikon lens into Pentax body, which surprisingly worked but cannot lock in place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:
Very stupid question: does it work on Nikon F mount? I heard PK mount and F mounts are very similar, and someone also tried to fit a Nikon lens into Pentax body, which surprisingly worked but cannot lock in place.

Yes, Nikon f mount will work on K10 and k20 bodies. The lenses for the most part will semi-lock into place and will be functional in manual mode.

We have a few threads about this with sample pics floating around in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
exe163 wrote:

Yes, Nikon f mount will work on K10 and k20 bodies. The lenses for the most part will semi-lock into place and will be functional in manual mode.

We have a few threads about this with sample pics floating around in this forum.

Actually I have a Nikon body and want to mount some M42 glass on it without the use of optical glass. Any link to the threads you are referring to?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:
spiralcity wrote:
exe163 wrote:

Actually I have a Nikon body and want to mount some M42 glass on it without the use of optical glass. Any link to the threads you are referring to?

Problems with register distance. No can do without the added element.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:

The F and K mounts are very close, but turned 120 in effect. You can mount an F lens by taking off the tiny stop screw at the side of the lens mount and then mount in the K recess. It will only engage by about 1cm or so, but does work. If you really want to use it properly you can modify the K body mount to allow the F lens to go further round and even lock in place.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:

There are M42 to Nikon adapters without glass.
However, i do not have any experience with these.
I expect that these may only do macro, but i may also depend on the lens focal length.

I am not sure about the price, but i would expect something like usd8 - 10 for these adapters.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassless M42-F mount adapters can do up to 17ft or so, I believe. Of course, if you stop down to f16 or 22, I think you can "almost" get infinity due to hyperfocal. (I'm talking about 50mm lenses. You might get infinity with wider angle lenses).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
exe163 wrote:

There are M42 to Nikon adapters without glass.
However, i do not have any experience with these.
I expect that these may only do macro, but i may also depend on the lens focal length.

I am not sure about the price, but i would expect something like usd8 - 10 for these adapters.

I own both types of adaptors. Without the element you will not get infinite.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Glassless M42-F mount adapters can do up to 17ft or so, I believe. Of course, if you stop down to f16 or 22, I think you can "almost" get infinity due to hyperfocal. (I'm talking about 50mm lenses. You might get infinity with wider angle lenses).

The flange pushes the element too far away. Infinite is not possible and it's not even close. I own both types of adaptors.
17 feet? Not with this adaptor. More like 8 feet tops.

I never took a measurment, so dont quote me, but I can tell you it's not many feet at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so..does the adapter offered by Alex - hk300 allow for infinity focus or not?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
so..does the adapter offered by Alex - hk300 allow for infinity focus or not?

Not the M42 to Nikon mount .Not Unless Alex has found a new solution, which I dont think he has.

M42 to PK works like a charm. The adaptor rest flush with the mount so it dosent mess with the register distance.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
M42 to PK works like a charm. The adaptor rest flush with the mount so it dosent mess with the register distance.

thanks!!! great stuff!!

so then, here I go:

Alex are they still available?
would consider getting a bunch of them, one for each lens, leaving them on the lens effectively converting my M42 lenses to K mount lenses.

Guess I would have to take out the small spring that locks the adapter into the camera's mount and try to screw the adapter real tight on the lens to make that happen. Is that possible? Any experiences?

Hope it is, and that sending cost / total cost would come down for 10 Pcs. or so, sending would be best to Osaka, Japan.
Could also be a mix of 5 without the flange, 5 with the flange ( the ones without the flange may be cheaply available nowadays, but the sending cost make it abt. 10 Euro each again..)

thank you,
best greetings to Hongkong,

kuuan - Andreas

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I just received your M42 SA adapters. Thanks a lot, they are great, good finish and flawless. And now I see this. Is this inner rim required for the lenses which does not have a A<->M lever on the lens?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

sinhas wrote:
I just received your M42 SA adapters. Thanks a lot, they are great, good finish and flawless. And now I see this. Is this inner rim required for the lenses which does not have a A<->M lever on the lens?

I am glad that you are happy.
The M42-to-SA adapters you got do not have the inner flange/rim, let me know if you need these.

Regards,
Alex

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I still don't get, what if Nikon F mount can mount M42 without an adapter, will the distance be short enough for M42 to get infinity?

I am a big fan of Nikon body and it's auto focus lens, I really want to try some M42 at their full potential without the extras in between.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:
Something I still don't get, what if Nikon F mount can mount M42 without an adapter, will the distance be short enough for M42 to get infinity?

I am a big fan of Nikon body and it's auto focus lens, I really want to try some M42 at their full potential without the extras in between.

Nikon F can't mount M42 lenses without adapter and with glass less adapter not reach infinity.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:

Hi. I hope this helps.

If you set any lens on infinity, the actual focal point is a set distance back from the surface of the mount. This is called the register distance. All the major camera makes have their own particular register distance, presumably with the idea of locking the camera owner into buying only their own matching lenses.

So when you try to fit a lens from a different manufacturer on your camera, you not only have the problem of physically adapting the mechanical mount, but you also need to set the lens at the correct distance from the film.

The difficulty for Nikon camera owners is that Nikon chose a larger register distance than most other makes, so when you try to mount an M42 lens on a Nikon, for example, the camera body is too fat to allow the lens to be at the correct register distance it was designed for. The result is similar to using an extension tube - you can focus on objects closer than the lens was designed for, but anything over about 20m distance is still not in focus in the viewfinder when the lens is at the infinity stop.

Conversely, if you fit a Nikon lens on a different make of camera, it will be closer to the film than intended and will focus past infinity (that is, a distant object will be in focus at, say, 20 metre on the lens scale). This situation is easily corrected by having a flange on the adapter of the correct thickness so that the lens is set slightly further from the film.

But don't give up on using M42 lenses on your Nikon just yet! Most lenses have a way of adjusting the focus distance. This involves releasing the focus scale ring from the lens barrel, turning the barrel in its thread as required and clamping the ring again. Usually it's quite a simple job, just involving slackening and tightening a few screws, and you can use Rick's trick with two cameras for the calibration.

Good luck! Smile