Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 adapter compatible with C80D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: M42 adapter compatible with C80D Reply with quote

Many years ago I have bought my M42 adapter for Canon camera. At that time, I have bought random one and it was working correctly with my 350D and then with 40D. Unfortunately, it is not working with my current camera - 80D Sad I have read that adapters with newest version of dandelion are compatible with 80D - I would have some question about choosing the right one.

Should I buy black or silver adapter? Will the silver version cause reflection on photos? In case of my previous one which was black I did not have any problem with reflections.

What is the advantage of buying programmable dandelion? 1) In exif the information about lens will be included, 2) Flash will know what is the focal length and will adjust the power to it. Are there any other advantages?

How looks the process of programming? I am wondering whether it is possible to easily and fast program the dandelion each time when I will change the lens or maybe it is a better idea to buy few adapters with dandelions for each manual lens? If you have instruction on programming dandelion I would be glad for sending it.

I will buy an adapter with aperture locking mechanism. What else should I pay attention to when choosing it? If anyone has a proven adapter with dandelion from China (working with the 80D), I would appreciate for recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One plus more: you can use the camera's built-in light metering correctly, you'll get correct exposure with most manual lenses.

This forum has many posts like yours, read some more of the threads.

Here is one programming guide: http://manualzz.com/doc/6557453/emf-chip-user-manual-preparation--1-turn-camera-on-and (easy to google these...)

The programming is really straightforward and easy.

To use the lens with a correctly programmed chipped adapter has many advantages, but it does mayyyybe makes the photo-taking process a little slower than with a non-programmed adapter or adapter without a chip, as you would need to measure light with aperture open and then manually lock the exposure, close the aperture and after that take the shot.

I won't help with the other questions Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get a programmable adapter. You can get them pretty cheap straight from China on Ebay. Make them an offer on a multiple sale and they will take it.

The chip, once programmed, will pass Exif (FL and widest Aperture) to the camera. This helps when importing the photos and sorting if you use Lightroom.

As for the auto aperture, make sure the adapter you get has the flange that will engage the step down pin on most M42 lenses. You will need to this if the lens does not have the auto setting.

You will have to stop down meter the the photos. Not really an inconvenience and it doesn't slow you down to much. The biggest issue is getting a good focus. Modern DSLRs are not really known for accurate focusing screens in the view finder. Better to focus using magnified live view. The auto confirm chips are not as accurate as an auto focus lens. It takes some trial and error. You can micro adjust focusing with each lens, that's why I leave one adapter on each lens.

Not sure if the Magic Lantern supports the 80D yet. If it does consider installing that as it will give you peaking focusing in live view.

Have fun and keep shooting.