Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

m42 135mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: m42 135mm lenses Reply with quote

How do these following m42 135mm lenses compare?

1) Jupiter 135mm f/3.5
2) Vivitar 135mm f/2.8
3) Sankyo Komura 135mm f/3.5

Do they all suffer from chromatic aberration when fully open?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Jupiter-37a (non MC). It has chromatic aberration:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any of these, but there are probably several Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 versions by different makers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: m42 135mm lenses Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:
How do these following m42 135mm lenses compare?

1) Jupiter 135mm f/3.5
2) Vivitar 135mm f/2.8
3) Sankyo Komura 135mm f/3.5

Do they all suffer from chromatic aberration when fully open?

All three have some CA fully open.
I have owned them all at some stage, but only kept the Komura.
Not because it was the one with the least CA, but because it has an old world character that I like.
This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the others - they are really good.
In fact it is hard to find a bad 135mm lens. Like many other people, I have bought when they were cheap, or been given, or inherited too many 135mm lenses to actually use, and I had a cull a couple of years back. I kept only those that showed some characteristic that I really liked. The remainder were sold.
Depending upon what you are looking for, you won't go wrong with any of these.
I do like many Komura primes.
T

Last edited by Oldhand on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I don't have any of these, but there are probably several Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 versions by different makers.

Surprisingly not - even though it would be expected.
Most Vivitar 135mm f2.8 lenses - if not all - are by Komine
Soligors on the other hand are from a wide range of manufacturers
T

Last edited by Oldhand on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know if the Vivitar 135mm f2.8 was the sharpest lens ever made, but I like it on a film camera as it seems to give more chance\luck of pop in depth...a similar lens that gives similar chance\luck (for me) is the CZJ 135 sonnar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 135 / 2.8 is a good lens, mine is a 28........ Komine. It had some slight fungus on the front element and recently I cleaned it, I'd used it a lot on my Pentax K10 because it's a PK mount, and the fungus wasn't bad enough to make a difference. But I cleaned it, and used it on my Sony A6000 just a few days ago, and it's as good as I remember it always was on the K10.

This picture of the worlds first iron bridge was taken on a foggy day that was still quite bright, so I was expecting loads of CA when I deliberately took this picture as a test.
ISO 400. 1/2506 Sec f2.8 No PP, just resize.

100% crop @ f2.8

100% CROP @ F5.6

the picture is a bit underexposed, it was brighter than it shows, but I really expected a lot of CA - and it's not bad at all.

I have Jupiter 11 in M42 and M39, and a 11A with M42 mount, - they are great lenses, I use the 11A a lot. I'll look for some examples of CA from them, I'm thinking they might be slightly worse than the Vivitar, not 100% sure without looking though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Surprisingly not - even though it would be expected.
Most Vivitar 135mm f2.8 lenses - if not all - are by Komine
Soligors on the other hand are from a wide range of manufacturers
T

That was surprising! Thanks for correcting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read conflicting reviews about the Vivitar probably because there are several versions of the lens and to clarify things I am asking about the one made by Komine (AUTO Vivitar TELEPHOTO) having a S/N starting with 28. I have found little information about the Sankyo Komura, but mostly positive reviews. I am wondering which of the two is "best" (less aberrations near full aperture) and if performance is similar whether I should pay more for any of the two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:
I have read conflicting reviews about the Vivitar probably because there are several versions of the lens and to clarify things I am asking about the one made by Komine (AUTO Vivitar TELEPHOTO) having a S/N starting with 28. I have found little information about the Sankyo Komura, but mostly positive reviews. I am wondering which of the two is "best" (less aberrations near full aperture) and if performance is similar whether I should pay more for any of the two.

Either lens will be very good - all things being equal.
The Komura that I have is a pre-set lens and the Komine Vivitar is of course auto aperture.
I have just recollected that I did once have a 135mm f2.8 Vivitar by Tokina - so the FL did have a couple of makers for Vivitar. The Tokina made was an earlier lens and I have the impression that Vivitar stuck with Komine for this FL after that. Luis will know for sure.
T

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
kyrcy wrote:

Either lens will be very good - all things being equal.
The Komura that I have is a pre-set lens and the Komine Vivitar is of course auto aperture.
I have just recollected that I did once have a 135mm f2.8 Vivitar by Tokina - so the FL did have a couple of makers for Vivitar. The Tokina made was an earlier lens and I have the impression that Vivitar stuck with Komine for this FL after that. Luis will know for sure.
T

Aye, Tokina made Vivitar 135mm f2.8 lenses and also, that lens, in their own T4 and Tx mounts for Vivitar. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Vivitar, Komura, and 4/135 Jupiter. The Jupiter just didn't feel right to me, but I can't knock the image quality. I don't use it at all. The Komura has a nice rendering and is sharp, but I have (2) the faster f/2.8 version, so don't use it. The Vivitar I had - one of very few lenses I've sold (almost regret) - was surprisingly good. If it had been closer focusing I may have kept it. It is Komine made and looked like this:

It really was quite good. I took my favorite dragonfly picture with it using a short extension tube.
[img]http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/image/127095359/original.jpg [/img]

I paid $10 for the Vivitar back in the day when that cell phone was new. The Komura typically goes for more. However, like many other people, I acquired many (too many) 135mm lenses. It seems we all keep searching for something special. I had come to realize some time back that most will rarely get used. I have four 135s that I use much more regularly. In the end, I would have saved a lot of money by just spending a little more for the really good ones. The ones I very much favor are Vivitar Series 1 f/2.3, Tair-11, Tair-11A, and Minolta Rokkor f/2.8. All will have some amount of CA in the worst of conditions and all CA can be fixed in a snap. These lenses give me sharpness, bokeh, good color, and shorter focusing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a LOT of M42 135's out there, and I guess most are good, some are very good, and a few are bad.

I've got 13 different M42 135's, and the only bad one is the Japanese Helios, which I've got 2 copies of and both are rubbish.

There's a very old Isco Gottingen Isconar which is a lens of its time, on a generous day I'd say it has a certain charm. I actually quite like it. But of the same era I've got pre set Takumar and Yashinon which are very good indeed. They have great character and are still sharp enough to compete with much newer glass.

There's a bunch of Soligors, mostly rebadged early Tokina's or Tamron, that are good to excellent. The 2.8 that is made by Tamron, and is the same as the 135mm part of the Twin Tele, is fabulous - despite it also being a 'lens of its time'.

How about a Cimko 135 / 2.8 that's branded as Super Paragon, it's a very nice compact lens, sharp enough with no vices that Photoshop wont fix. A reall sleeper.

I adore my Pentacon 2.8, as I do my Jupiter 11 and 11A. But are they in a different league to the others? I think they are the best of my very random selection, and I would add my later Takumar 3.5 to the list of favourites. They are very good, but most of the other 135's aren't far behind. Except the Helios....don't go there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have Jupiter 11 in M42 and M39, and a 11A with M42 mount, - they are great lenses, I use the 11A a lot. I'll look for some examples of CA from them, I'm thinking they might be slightly worse than the Vivitar, not 100% sure without looking though.

As I've done a comparison of all of my 135mm lenses recently I can confirm that the Jupiter-11 is one of the best ones. My copy in M39/LTM hardly shows any CA's, not even when used fully open. It's made by KOMZ in 1970. Indeed a great lens and better than my copies from Topcon, Pentax, Minolta, etc...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

As I've done a comparison of all of my 135mm lenses recently I can confirm that the Jupiter-11 is one of the best ones. My copy in M39/LTM hardly shows any CA's, not even when used fully open. It's made by KOMZ in 1970. Indeed a great lens and better than my copies from Topcon, Pentax, Minolta, etc...

Yes, absolutely right. My KOMZ polished aluminium Jupiter 11 is fabulous. I even love the smell of it, what did the Russians put in these lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar series 1 135mm f2.3 is notorious for PF wide open but disappears by f/8.

F2.3

F5.6

F8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 Tokina made Fixed mount lens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135mm f2.8 Chrome Nose lens M42 mount.
The Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Chrome Nose lens is the oldest fixed mount Vivitar 135mm, dating to around 1967. The earlier lens families were T mounts. Chrome Nose lenses were available for several common camera mounts of the era including M42, Nikon F, and Canon FL. Quite a good little shooter if you can find one. Not that many were made. The Manual Auto slide button is fragile so be careful with it. Still good 50 years later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 135mm f2.5 TX mount lens. By Tokina here is an odd ball 2.5. The 2.5 is really a 2.8 in use.