Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M39 to M42 / speedbooster.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: M39 to M42 / speedbooster. Reply with quote

Hello!

Long story short i have an fujifilm xt20 that i just love coming from the big heavy / expensive Canon gear.
So i started to look into some manual vintage lenses and i fell inn love with my current set of M42 lenses together with an 0.73 speedbooster. M42 - fx mount.

So i also came across some m39 lenses that looked promising for next to no money.
I revived the first one today, an industar 61 l/d. The condition is nice and the focus ring is just perfect!
However when i revived my m39 / fx adapter it turns out it's the wrong way around. The seller shipped me an fx - l39 (wrong way around)

Anyways i have some step up rings from m39 to M42 i was planning to use to also use the m39 lenses with my speedbooster.
However this gave me some problems, also does the normal M42 - fx adapter as the focus is way off.
Works quite well as an close focus macro lens now but I'm not even close getting to infinity.
I mean the lens can focus at around 10-13cm range at that's about it.

So i guess i need to get an normal m39 adapter to fx to move the lens closer to the sensor?
Or am i missing something here? What's the point of step up rings from 39 to 42 if the focus gets way off?
Was hoping to just swap on the step up ring and use the speedbooster but i guess that won't work?

I'm also reading something about m39 lenses don't hit infinity on most adapters.
That you will need a special adapter? Aswell as some differences with Russian lenses compared to oem Leica?
Any one that can clarify? 😊

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: M39 to M42 / speedbooster. Reply with quote

Concker wrote:
So i guess i need to get an normal m39 adapter to fx to move the lens closer to the sensor?

Yes, something of that kind:

Concker wrote:
What's the point of step up rings from 39 to 42 if the focus gets way off?

Because LTM is not the only 39mm thread mount out there.
There is Zenit M39 mount with a flange distance close to that of M42, Braun Paxette mount (B39) and so on.

Concker wrote:
Was hoping to just swap on the step up ring and use the speedbooster but i guess that won't work?

True, that won't.

Concker wrote:
I'm also reading something about m39 lenses don't hit infinity on most adapters

LTM lenses with appropriate adapter will work just fine on mirrorless cameras.
Some people try to adapt LTM lenses to SLRs - that will cause the loss of infinity focus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: M39 to M42 / speedbooster. Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Concker wrote:

Concker wrote:

There is Zenit M39 mount with a flange distance close to that of M42, Braun Paxette mount (B39) and so on.

Concker wrote:

True, that won't.

Concker wrote:

Some people try to adapt LTM lenses to SLRs - that will cause the loss of infinity focus.

As will just using the wrong type of M39 adapter for your lenses.
Zenit M39 lenses will screw into LTM adapters but don't focus (generally at any distance, but a few longer lenses might be possible to drag down to infinity)
LTM lenses on Zenit M39 adapters will focus considerably closer than expected, with short focal length lenses this can be closer than it's physically possible to get the subject.

M39 is probably the most varied thread size of all. Multiple thread pitches are used as well as the multiple flange distances altogether we have:

Canon screw mount initially M39x1 according to many sources, later as LTM (see below)
LTM/L39 Leica screw mount - M39 at 26tpi using 28.8mm flange dist.
Canon J mount M39 at 24tpi " 28.8 flange distance
Leitz Visoflex - M39 at 26tpi " 40mm " "
Paxette M39x1 " 44mm " "
Zenit M39 (Zenit S, or ZM39) M39 at 26tpi " 45.2mm " "
Kilarscope " " " 78.8mm " "
Kilarflex " " " 92.3mm " "
Copal#1 lenses & some enlargers use M39x0.75 at variable registration
& 39mm filters use M39x0.5

A few there I've not personally come across, but don't you just love 'standardisation'?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: M39 to M42 / speedbooster. Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Alex TG wrote:
Concker wrote:

Concker wrote:

Concker wrote:

True, that won't.

Concker wrote:

As will just using the wrong type of M39 adapter for your lenses.
Zenit M39 lenses will screw into LTM adapters but don't focus (generally at any distance, but a few longer lenses might be possible to drag down to infinity)
LTM lenses on Zenit M39 adapters will focus considerably closer than expected, with short focal length lenses this can be closer than it's physically possible to get the subject.

M39 is probably the most varied thread size of all. Multiple thread pitches are used as well as the multiple flange distances altogether we have:

Canon screw mount initially M39x1 according to many sources, later as LTM (see below)
LTM/L39 Leica screw mount - M39 at 26tpi using 28.8mm flange dist.
Canon J mount M39 at 24tpi " 28.8 flange distance
Leitz Visoflex - M39 at 26tpi " 40mm " "
Paxette M39x1 " 44mm " "
Zenit M39 (Zenit S, or ZM39) M39 at 26tpi " 45.2mm " "
Kilarscope " " " 78.8mm " "
Kilarflex " " " 92.3mm " "
Copal#1 lenses & some enlargers use M39x0.75 at variable registration
& 39mm filters use M39x0.5

A few there I've not personally come across, but don't you just love 'standardisation'?

Oh wow thanks for great info!
From what i can see industar lenses in general is ltm/l39 lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M39 to M42 / speedbooster. Reply with quote

Concker wrote:

In general - no. But 61L/D is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M39 to M42 / speedbooster. Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Concker wrote:

In general - no. But 61L/D is.

There are quite a few LTM industar lenses, but certainly plenty that are different mounts too.
I think my sliding Industar 50 might work with both Zenit M39 when fully retracted & LTM when fully extended. Its normally considered LTM & I haven't confirmed the zenith but the degree of movement fits...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for the input.
So far ive only collected two M39 lenses, the Industar 61 L/D that should be L39
And the Industar 96U that i cannot seem to find any information on regarding the flange distance Question
Is this iformation collected anywhere to check out? or is it a hit and miss kind of deal with the google search? Smile

Was looking into the industars 28mm pancake for size for discrete shots perhaps, dno yet.
Far easier with M42 Wink generally super happy with all my lenses, the takumars turned out mint so was very lucky with them Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concker wrote:
And the Industar 96U that i cannot seem to find any information on regarding the flange distance Question

That's enlarger lens, it doesn't have focusing assembly - it mounts on LTM adapter, but the focus will pass the infinity (you may unscrew the lens a bit and get the focus at 5-10m, but still that's hardly usable)

Concker wrote:
Is this iformation collected anywhere to check out? or is it a hit and miss kind of deal with the google search? Smile

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/brands/c_45.html

Concker wrote:
Was looking into the industars 28mm pancake for size for discrete shots perhaps, dno yet.

And that's the lens for the half-frame cameras (works on APS-C and smaller sensors, vignettes heavily on FF)
Flange distance is 27.5mm - you will not get infinity focus on LTM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Concker wrote:

That's enlarger lens, it doesn't have focusing assembly - it mounts on LTM adapter, but the focus will pass the infinity (you may unscrew the lens a bit and get the focus at 5-10m, but still that's hardly usable)

Concker wrote:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/brands/c_45.html

Concker wrote:

And that's the lens for the half-frame cameras (works on APS-C and smaller sensors, vignettes heavily on FF)
Flange distance is 27.5mm - you will not get infinity focus on LTM

Thanks for the link.
I know the 96u is an enlarger. Was going to see how it works on some normal macro.
So just wondered regarding if ltm is within its normal work environment due to no focus.
The 28mm can easily be modded from what i can see 😊

Anyways I'll start out when i revive the correct l39 adapter and take it from there 😊
Thanks alot for all the help👍 love this forum. Shooting manual vintage lenses really got my photo hobby active again 👍

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concker wrote:
I know the 96u is an enlarger. Was going to see how it works on some normal macro.
So just wondered regarding if ltm is within its normal work environment due to no focus.

It is a very decent macro lens when combined with extension tubes or macro helicoid.
Probably even the M42-FX plus M39-M42 adapters you already have will do to some degree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concker wrote:

The 28mm can easily be modded from what i can see 😊

Yes it's easy to modify - I've done one. The glass can be completely unscrewed then a rim filed on the mounting block so that it screws further in. Less than half an hour to do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this fact sheet for a FB group. I'll post it here for you hopefully the illustrations and examples help. As another member said there are many uses for m39. They are so rare it is unlikely you would come across them. my sheet covers the most common.